Wise Hearing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Rizzo, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3791
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by LE18 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:53 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:24 am
With Brink now gone, plus the way he's played recently I can see (despite their depth) a Wales call up for Reffell. We NEED Wiese to keep his nose clean in the 6N period.

Back row we know we're losing Ilione to the U20 squad.
Could see both Chessum and Martin in the main England squad (though I expect if called up Chessum would be more the kind of apprentice player that Eddie likes calling up), but we don't know if they'll be in a bubble so we may lose them even if they're not in the 23's
Reffell could easily be in the Welsh squad with his performances.

Our back row options could therefore be

Liebenberg
Van Staden
Wiese
(A pretty darn first choice back row...)
Outside that though...
Wells and Agbongbon (Dolly may not even be a depth option)

So in that senario we NEED Wiese to stay squeaky clean!!
I think it was Agbongbon warming up yesterday, so maybe he is near a 23 pick. If it was him, he looked more sturdy than he did to me when I last saw him over at the Wasps cup game, although he was nearer to me yesterday.

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1084
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:18 am
Location: Over the hill and far away

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by Grimlish » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:19 pm

Shows they’d planned well for the various possibilities at scrum time. Excellent planning.

And was it van Wyk as water carrier yesterday? Seemed to be discussing the intricacies of the scrum with other members of the front row union…

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7737
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by jgriffin » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:48 pm

AFAIK Reffell is nowhere near a Wales shirt, not because of his ability, but because he doesn't fit with the general game plan. Wales is not short of (some less able) back rows that do fit in. If he is daft enough to go to a region, it will make no difference to his chances IMO. Frankly, if he is EQP, EJ could hold out a temptation........I know Reffell said no,but......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3562
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by TigerFeetSteve » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:09 pm

jgriffin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:48 pm
AFAIK Reffell is nowhere near a Wales shirt, not because of his ability, but because he doesn't fit with the general game plan. Wales is not short of (some less able) back rows that do fit in. If he is daft enough to go to a region, it will make no difference to his chances IMO. Frankly, if he is EQP, EJ could hold out a temptation........I know Reffell said no,but......
Agree but at the moment he's fighting a springbok for the 7 shirt and looking deserving of it. If he keeps performing eventually Pivac will have to call him up. The only thing is as you say Wales does have ridiculous depth in the back row so Pivac does have a choice. Personally I'd love to hear a long extension for him before the 6N in case...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:34 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:09 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:48 pm
AFAIK Reffell is nowhere near a Wales shirt, not because of his ability, but because he doesn't fit with the general game plan. Wales is not short of (some less able) back rows that do fit in. If he is daft enough to go to a region, it will make no difference to his chances IMO. Frankly, if he is EQP, EJ could hold out a temptation........I know Reffell said no,but......
Agree but at the moment he's fighting a springbok for the 7 shirt and looking deserving of it. If he keeps performing eventually Pivac will have to call him up. The only thing is as you say Wales does have ridiculous depth in the back row so Pivac does have a choice. Personally I'd love to hear a long extension for him before the 6N in case...
But that Springbok has not managed a run of games with us due to injury and International call ups. Not really had time to settle in but the games he's played he's been everywhere and an absolute tackling machine! When he gets a good run in the side I expect to see him push for that starting 7 shirt. That said we will no doubt see both playing a fir bit as Borthers likes to rotate and doesn't tend to like the first team second team mindset
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!

fentiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Wisbech

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by fentiger » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:06 pm

OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:34 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:09 pm
jgriffin wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:48 pm
AFAIK Reffell is nowhere near a Wales shirt, not because of his ability, but because he doesn't fit with the general game plan. Wales is not short of (some less able) back rows that do fit in. If he is daft enough to go to a region, it will make no difference to his chances IMO. Frankly, if he is EQP, EJ could hold out a temptation........I know Reffell said no,but......
Agree but at the moment he's fighting a springbok for the 7 shirt and looking deserving of it. If he keeps performing eventually Pivac will have to call him up. The only thing is as you say Wales does have ridiculous depth in the back row so Pivac does have a choice. Personally I'd love to hear a long extension for him before the 6N in case...
But that Springbok has not managed a run of games with us due to injury and International call ups. Not really had time to settle in but the games he's played he's been everywhere and an absolute tackling machine! When he gets a good run in the side I expect to see him push for that starting 7 shirt. That said we will no doubt see both playing a fir bit as Borthers likes to rotate and doesn't tend to like the first team second team mindset
I would bet that the players, on the whole, are really happy with the rotation policy. I know they love playing but it beats being flogged into the ground.

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:50 pm

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by RichieB » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:09 pm

The first team/second team doesn’t appeal to me either. Different times. It is a case of choosing the best team available depending on the opposition and bearing in mind resting players so as to extend their performance lifetime.
I think Borthers has got this spot on so far, irrespective of the results we have had.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 11975
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by RagingBull » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm

Yeh Borthwick outside a couple of positions seems to be very squad driven.

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 11363
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by Scott1 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:13 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Yeh Borthwick outside a couple of positions seems to be very squad driven.
Is F Van Wyk injured mate?

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Wise Hearing

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:39 pm

RagingBull wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:10 pm
Yeh Borthwick outside a couple of positions seems to be very squad driven.
He does and it's paying dividends. Not only have we had less injuries than most other clubs but we have a squad that can step in when required. So far this season we have rotated well without wholesale changes and it's part of why we have been so successful as when key players are out the players filling in have had plenty of game time already. Very sensible policy, especially given the no relegation this season (well hopefully not!)

We have a very solid squad and will be stronger than ever I reckon during the 6N window
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], hugh.st and 2 guests