Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Rugbygramps »

So the vibe I’m getting is some posters would like a head or two to roll

Quick straw poll. Would people like Peter Tom to step down as Chairman of the club
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:16 pm So the vibe I’m getting is some posters would like a head or two to roll

Quick straw poll. Would people like Peter Tom to step down as Chairman of the club
I think very few are asking for that. It's entirely possible to not be at either extreme, even on social media in 2022.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:25 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:16 pm So the vibe I’m getting is some posters would like a head or two to roll

I think very few are asking for that. It's entirely possible to not be at either extreme, even on social media in 2022.
I would disagree that there aren’t certain people who want some personal responsibility and I see the fact that everything financial goes through the Chairman, apparently, hence the question. I would add it is something I would be against
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

It comes down to two questions;

A) did he know about it?

B) did he know it was wrong?

Are we really saying no to both of those questions?

For the sake of stability Tom should stay but isn’t that irrelevant? Surely if the chairman has known about this and agreed to it then he should go. At the very least he must apologise?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Suck it up, carry on.

You can't undo what's been done.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Canuck

Post by Canuck »

For goodness sake let it rest ! It’s history!
Remember when Covid was the only topic in the news?
Now it’s Ukraine, poor souls ,but Covid is still with us.
WE have the best team in the Premiership - we have the best coach and coaching staff. We have the best support in the whole of the UK - Let’s celebrate what we have and put this episode to rest.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:34 pm It comes down to two questions;

A) did he know about it?

B) did he know it was wrong?

Are we really saying no to both of those questions?

For the sake of stability Tom should stay but isn’t that irrelevant? Surely if the chairman has known about this and agreed to it then he should go. At the very least he must apologise?
For what though?

No one, not even the muck raking piece from Egerton says what actually happened.

All we know is that it involved payments from sponsors to players, at the moment there is nothing in the public domain to suggest it involved the club in a financial sense. For instance someone pays the players for appearing in adverts for our kit on third party sites such as Samurai. I note that since the tightening of the salary cap regulations these are no longer current players that I can see.

If Samurai (or in the season's in question Kukri) pay the players image rights company for use of their image on their own website why should the club have thought they must declare that to the cap manager? To use a real example Umbro sponsor Genge & Bristol. He appears on the Umbro website. Should that money be in Bristol's cap from next season? As far as what is in the pubic domain that is a POSSIBLE example of what we have been found guilty of.

There are some serious allegations floating about, I'd hope they are stood up if true.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Canuck wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:54 pm For goodness sake let it rest ! It’s history!
Remember when Covid was the only topic in the news?
Now it’s Ukraine, poor souls ,but Covid is still with us.
WE have the best team in the Premiership - we have the best coach and coaching staff. We have the best support in the whole of the UK - Let’s celebrate what we have and put this episode to rest.
I was thinking something similar in terms of the game. Major work needs to be done on Head injury issues, the games finances in general are up the swanny, junior clubs are having problems with recruitment, just 3 issues that need addressing
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Some on here are deliberately painting this as an either or equation, no grey areas ( are they perhaps they suffer from an infection of twitter!)
Personally I want to know if the club deliberately and knowingly under reported or they made a mistake, or one individual made an error, none of these positions would lead to the end of the world but it does affect that current buzz word the "ethics" of the club.
In the absence of clarity we should assume the worst, that the club deliberately and knowingly tried to cheat the other clubs by hiding payments.

The woke brigade have almost made being ethical a dirty word but I believe you deal with people and issues by being straight and honest, we make mistakes and make decisions that in hindsight were wrong, once you see you were wrong you take responsibility, we should not behave like politicians and pretend there are degrees of honesty and use silence or weasel words to avoid seen for the flawed humans that we all are.

All this will not stop me supporting the club as I have done for many many years but the contempt I have for Nigel Wray and his accomplices will also be shared by the Tigers board members who made this error and are now blandly hoping silence will let it all be swept under the carpet.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

People need to get over themselves. The investigation is complete and punishment has been meted out so let’s just support the team and not let it derail the good work that the coaches and team have carried out.
Unlike some I will support the team no matter what.
A2O
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=ay2oh post_id=812875 time=1647507367 user_id=6190]
People need to get over themselves. The investigation is complete and punishment has been meted out so let’s just support the team and not let it derail the good work that the coaches and team have carried out.
Unlike some I will support the team no matter what.
[/quote]

I am not sure who you might be addressing that last comment to, but I have not seen anyone here who is saying that they are no longer supporting the team. The hope has to be that this episode has not affected the players and the coaches.

The Club is far bigger than any one person, even if that person is the Chairman. No-one should be above criticism, and frankly it is a ridiculous notion to equate criticism to no longer supporting.

It is obviously correct that the external investigation is complete and the penalty has been levied and so, to that extent, we move on. Having said that, would not any well run organisation with oft quoted family values, that had been found guilty of such a breach of regulations which has adversely affected its reputation and standing, want to examine internally how this came about, and let the sponsors, employees, shareholders and fans know the outcome? Maybe that will happen in due course?

The alternative is to carry on and the fine just gets buried in the accounts, along with alleged payouts to a certain former employee, and former players who have sued the club.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

We all know that when an employee leaves a company, they get the blame for everything.

So it was all Simon Cohens fault, and we can all now move on!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

These were trivial breaches when all said and done rather than a systemic evasion of the salary cap.

It may well be that the officials at the club did not consider them to be breaches at the time and the image rights issue has since been clarified and our interpretation was wrong.

I doubt the chairman would have been actively considering whether players' earnings from image rights that were not part of their club contract were in lieu of salary from the club. They only become relevant if excessive and facilitated by the club. Presumably this work was for the club's sponsors which is why the league penalised Tigers.
The chief exec from that era has gone so who is there to punish.

The chairman is not automatically the boss or even chief exec or the finance director so may not be expected to know all the exact details of all payments the club and its sponsors made.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

There was a recently an undisputed world title fight in the light welterweight division between Josh Taylor and Jack Catterall. Taylor won by split decison but it was a shocking decison and almost the whole world had Catterall winning. My point being members of Parliament became involved and one has even made a complaint to the police so they can investigate.
If some are that desperate for someone to hang over this start writing emails/letters to your local MP or even contact the police yourselves 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Can’t stop laughing at that post Scott.