New Salary Cap Breach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Scott1 »

BigDan50 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:47 am Can’t stop laughing at that post Scott.
True though,some are desperate to see someone in front of the firing squad. I'm just pointing out their options 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 am These were trivial breaches when all said and done rather than a systemic evasion of the salary cap.

It may well be that the officials at the club did not consider them to be breaches at the time and the image rights issue has since been clarified and our interpretation was wrong.

I doubt the chairman would have been actively considering whether players' earnings from image rights that were not part of their club contract were in lieu of salary from the club. They only become relevant if excessive and facilitated by the club. Presumably this work was for the club's sponsors which is why the league penalised Tigers.
The chief exec from that era has gone so who is there to punish.

The chairman is not automatically the boss or even chief exec or the finance director so may not be expected to know all the exact details of all payments the club and its sponsors made.
With respect, you have no idea if anything you have written is true or not what we do know is that it was considered as evasion, hence the fine, the fact it carried on for several years makes it de-facto, systemic.
We can all speculate, but if what you have written was true I would expect the club to say so.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Imagine how bad we would've been without breaching the salary cap...
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

jgriffin wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:22 pm I suspect a few squeaky bums at other clubs right now.
Shedhead 1 here:

No squeaky bums here at Glaws JG....no squeaky bums

However I can see and hear the tumble weeds at Tigers

Dear oh dear.
Bob
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

shedhead1 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:09 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:22 pm I suspect a few squeaky bums at other clubs right now.
Shedhead 1 here:

Dear oh dear.
Bob
You’re all still holding breath from when that French Billionaire nearly bought you.
Tough battle for you to get 6th this season Bob
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

shedhead1 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:09 pm
Shedhead 1 here:

Dear oh dear.
Bob
I'll ask Posh Richard if he's got any spare wedge. He could always sell the cars?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:00 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:22 pm go support another team.
Scott1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:01 pm don't let the door hit you on the way out!
#TigersFamily

Is this how rugby is these days?
I think it’s only a minority of posters here indulging in this rather unpleasant baiting, Tiglon - most participants have managed to keep the debate courteous and respectful! I have my own views on the club and have shared them here - and acknowledge that there is a range of opinions.
It’s a shame that we have one or two posters who seem to turn to personal sniping at the slightest opportunity - but they’re easy enough to ignore.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

BengalTiger wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:33 am
mol2 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 am These were trivial breaches when all said and done rather than a systemic evasion of the salary cap.

It may well be that the officials at the club did not consider them to be breaches at the time and the image rights issue has since been clarified and our interpretation was wrong.

I doubt the chairman would have been actively considering whether players' earnings from image rights that were not part of their club contract were in lieu of salary from the club. They only become relevant if excessive and facilitated by the club. Presumably this work was for the club's sponsors which is why the league penalised Tigers.
The chief exec from that era has gone so who is there to punish.

The chairman is not automatically the boss or even chief exec or the finance director so may not be expected to know all the exact details of all payments the club and its sponsors made.
With respect, you have no idea if anything you have written is true or not what we do know is that it was considered as evasion, hence the fine, the fact it carried on for several years makes it de-facto, systemic.
We can all speculate, but if what you have written was true I would expect the club to say so.
Well that's not really what the size f the fine suggests.

The fines are dictated by the size of the overspends.
The size of the fines suggest this was hardly large scale salary cap evasion.
When your cap is in the £millions, a few £10s of thousands is small fry in terms of possible benefit to the club. Paper clips from the stationary cupboard would be a good parallel to draw. Sack the chairman for not going to the Police for catching an employee with a few paper clips.

Why would any club knowingly and willingly risk the embarrassment of being fined for so little benefit? We are not talking the vast sums that Sarries did that paid for many of their star players. There has to be meaningful benefit to take the risk.

Did Tigers know it was going on? Possibly. It may well be that Tigers, at that time, had no contractual right to prevent players earning from their image & other rights and or that they did not consider the levels to be unreasonable for players to earn from them as contracts independent of Tigers. Personal earnings may well not have been something Tigers were entitled to see.

Either way the league took a different view and presumably the clubs legal advice was that the league were correct and Tigers were wrong.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 am Paper clips from the stationary cupboard would be a good parallel to draw. Sack the chairman for not going to the Police for catching an employee with a few paper clips.
The Chairman definitely needs to go if Tigers spend £147,000 a year on paper clips, even more so if he didn't think someone stealing all those paperclips was a problem.

You can get 1,000 paper clips for £7 (probably much cheaper if you're spending £147k a year on them!) which means they cost 0.7p each. So £147,000 would get you 21 million paper clips. I'd probably go to the police if an employee stole 21 million paper clips.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'd hate to accidentally employ a Cliptomaniac!!

Don't worry, I've already got me coat...
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:07 am
mol2 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:48 am Paper clips from the stationary cupboard would be a good parallel to draw. Sack the chairman for not going to the Police for catching an employee with a few paper clips.
The Chairman definitely needs to go if Tigers spend £147,000 a year on paper clips, even more so if he didn't think someone stealing all those paperclips was a problem.

You can get 1,000 paper clips for £7 (probably much cheaper if you're spending £147k a year on them!) which means they cost 0.7p each. So £147,000 would get you 21 million paper clips. I'd probably go to the police if an employee stole 21 million paper clips.
How would they get them out though. Would it be like Jonny Cash and his Cadalac, one clip at a time
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:11 am
Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:07 am

How would they get them out though. Would it be like Jonny Cash and his Cadalac, one clip at a time
Slightly off topic so mods feel free to remove.

I once worked for a company that made motor powered wheelbarrows. There was a guy caught selling a brand new one online, he happened to work on the assembly line building one and had over time swiped all the components a bit at a time and assembled it in his garage. I still wonder how he smuggled the bucket on the front out...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I don't think many have suggested that our Chairman must go, I said he should consider his position...very different. I am pretty sure in one of the LTTV Specials he said that the Buck Stops with him. Was the issue of these payments was flagged up at the time to him? Was it known they were in a "Grey" area cap wise (if so why didn't we speak to the Cap Manager at the time!)
I think a more "Personal" statement from either the Chairman or the Club would help, but I presume whatever settlement was made with our former CEO might make even this complicated, but not insurmountable. Is it fair or right that the most easily accessible employees of the club (Coaches/Players) get questioned on this matter by the media.
As an overall general view the present output from the club to the fans is minimal at best, Bondi was one of the better bits of recruitment it's a shame he isn't allowed out to "play" more often.
The Club owe a great deal of gratitude to our Chairman since the game went professional & I would far have someone like him in charge/owning the club, then some of the other owners in the league, but that doesn't make him above questioning.
Will the Smell of this episode blow away..yes, but the stain will remain.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Do you know there's no patent on the paperclip. They lost the paperwork 😭
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:51 am Do you know there's no patent on the paperclip. They lost the paperwork 😭

Love it, best thing I’ve seen today :smt005
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.