New Salary Cap Breach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Rizzo, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Old Hob
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3328
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Old Hob » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:24 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm
As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

As they say it's all about timing...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... Accountant
More distressing is advertising for people on zero hour contracts and minimum wage !
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5764
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:23 am
Location: Roaming

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by WhitecapTiger » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:49 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm
As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

As they say it's all about timing...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... Accountant
Best time to start, investigation ongoing, anything irregular should be found & pointed out, can't be blamed for anything prior to you that you miss and then crops up, shouldn't be any surprises for the new incumbent and a clean slate to start with :smt003

Doesn't necessarily send a good message to those investigating right now though, as you say, timing :smt005 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Tigerbeat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:59 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm
As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

As they say it's all about timing...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... Accountant
Dont forget that there were staff made redundant last year so this could well be a position available as things start to look brighter.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

anz3001
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by anz3001 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:28 am

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm
As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

As they say it's all about timing...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... Accountant
From a recruitment point of view the timing is perfect, the ‘organic’ reach of that role will be enormous!

Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 547
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:06 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Qbec » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:26 am

Just out of interest who is "The Head of Finance" as we don't show a CFO on the BOD, since the departure of Ian Walker
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

10th Premiership Rugby Champions 2013

TigerXV
Tiger Cub
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by TigerXV » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:47 am

Finton Kennedy is Non Exec who has been looking after finances since he joined - my guess is this is the main reason now (hopefully) finances are back on an even keel that they feel confident enough to add a Management Accountant to the team so he can can step back from day to day accounts

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by TigerMac3 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm

Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Find it odd/reassuring/unnerving that there was so much noise when the story broke, and now relative silence. With Sarries, the Daily Mail were running almost daily updates; although I know that they were instrumental in the investigation and thus probably wanted to remain close to ensure they got the ‘glory’ of the exclusive.

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3244
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Tiglon » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm

The Sarries investigation took close to a year, I think. If this is a situation where Tigers are holding their hands up and showing that they are now playing within the rules rather than trying to pretend it never happened, then perhaps this one will be far quicker.

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3589
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by TigerFeetSteve » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm

TigerMac3 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Find it odd/reassuring/unnerving that there was so much noise when the story broke, and now relative silence. With Sarries, the Daily Mail were running almost daily updates; although I know that they were instrumental in the investigation and thus probably wanted to remain close to ensure they got the ‘glory’ of the exclusive.
Thing is where ours is relative to theirs is completely different. They are still investigating if anything is wrong and we haven't been charged with any breaches.

The June deadline is only for 5 seasons ago (if that is a/the season affected)

Our story coming out has all the hallmarks of the fact that now they can check players accounts the investigation may involve ex-players or other ex-employees who are angry at the club and frustrated at our current success so have leaked the fact they have been interviewed. Until charges are laid it is MEANT to be confidential.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Tigerbeat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:33 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm
TigerMac3 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm
Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Find it odd/reassuring/unnerving that there was so much noise when the story broke, and now relative silence. With Sarries, the Daily Mail were running almost daily updates; although I know that they were instrumental in the investigation and thus probably wanted to remain close to ensure they got the ‘glory’ of the exclusive.
Thing is where ours is relative to theirs is completely different. They are still investigating if anything is wrong and we haven't been charged with any breaches.

The June deadline is only for 5 seasons ago (if that is a/the season affected)

Our story coming out has all the hallmarks of the fact that now they can check players accounts the investigation may involve ex-players or other ex-employees who are angry at the club and frustrated at our current success so have leaked the fact they have been interviewed. Until charges are laid it is MEANT to be confidential.

What will be will be.............we cannot predict what is being investigated, what the outcome is likely to be or even if charges are going to be brought. Difficult to put an end date on any investigations (in any surrounding) as it is all dependent upon what trails are found and whether they need to go deeper. Just have to be patient and get behind the team on the pitch.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

ay2oh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1113
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am
Location: leicester

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by ay2oh » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:36 pm

They will probably keep digging until they find something otherwise t looks bad on them :smt013
A2O

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 938
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Born Leic, Live Leeds

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by ads » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm

Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

Fair enough someone may have leaked it to the press, but i'd be suprised if an ex player has grassed us up to the salary cap manager about something that could find them in the :censored: as well.

I'd also be suprised if we were the last club to be investigated for this sort of thing.....

fentiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2530
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Wisbech

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by fentiger » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:10 pm

ads wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm
Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

Fair enough someone may have leaked it to the press, but i'd be suprised if an ex player has grassed us up to the salary cap manager about something that could find them in the :censored: as well.

I'd also be suprised if we were the last club to be investigated for this sort of thing.....
Agreed, we need to keep a lid on the paranoia! Ex-players may not want it investigated any more than we do, I do wonder if the club released the statement last week to take the sting out of it though?

Tigerbeat
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6284
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Location: The big wide world

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Tigerbeat » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:27 pm

[/quote]

Agreed, we need to keep a lid on the paranoia! Ex-players may not want it investigated any more than we do, I do wonder if the club released the statement last week to take the sting out of it though?
[/quote]

Possibly forced to make a statement, being a PLC as it is information that could affect share prices.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:30 pm

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by TigerMac3 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:34 pm

ads wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm
Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

Fair enough someone may have leaked it to the press, but i'd be suprised if an ex player has grassed us up to the salary cap manager about something that could find them in the :censored: as well.

I'd also be suprised if we were the last club to be investigated for this sort of thing.....
For me, the idea that any potential breach should (and surely legally?) remain fully confidential until a charge is issued suggests to me that the initial leak to the press has to have come from an individual rather than from a professional and confidential body, such as HMRC.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests