New Salary Cap Breach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: THE FINAL SARRIES 18TH JUNE 15:00

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:40 pm Don’t agree Scott1, if you cheat someone out of one pound or cheat someone out of a hundred pounds it’s still cheating, that’s the bottom line.
I disagree. I think there are different levels of cheating as there are will all offences. Like Scott says.. doing 43mph in a 40 zone is against the law but so is doing 128mph on the motorway.. One is clearly far worse than the other! Cheating by peering over at the person sat next to you in the exam hall is very different to what Saracens did.. yet both are cheating and therefore both are equal offences if your argument is to be believed.

Bottom line for me is the punishment should be proportional to the crime, regardless of what the offence is. It's like that for just about every form of legal system.. what Saracens did was far worse than what we did, that's why their punishment was substantially greater, full stop.

Just my views of course, I'm no legal expert and other views are available.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:40 pm It’s not about the players or a different team it’s about clubs cheating, we and Saracens cheated and its sad that the two teams that behaved as they did are allowed to contest the final, personally I was hoping for a Northampton vs Harlequins final. Saracens and Leicester don’t deserve to contest a final after the way we and Saracens behaved.
Wow.. so the system has decided on a sentence. That sentence has been served by both clubs yet that's still not enough.. how about next season? Can we compete then without prejudice? What both clubs did are completely different levels of cheating for me but both are unacceptable and rightly so both clubs have been punished. As others have mentioned Tigers are almost a completely different side now from coaches to players so why continue to flog these lads when they've paid the penalty and it's nothing even to do with them? And how about Quins and Bloodgate if you are so keen to withhold forgiveness for those that have served their sentence?

I respect your views BigDan but I just don't see eye to eye with you on this one.. just my opinions though and yours are equally valid.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The level of punishment reflects the offence and whether it was deliberate or inadvertent.
Most of the salary cap fines were for relatively small amounts that were unintentional.

Sarries punishment reflected the huge amount and the deliberate intention to do so to gain benefit.

Speeding is an absolute offence but it is very easy to speed by 3 or 4 miles without thinking. Going 30 or 40 miles over is not an accident.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Another point of difference for me is the lasting effect of the cheating. For us, I struggle to see how anything that happened in that time will have improved our current club. The levels of overspending were small and clearly did little to make us more competitive, I don’t buy the idea that they achieved anything positive for us. Sarries, on the other hand, built a Premiership powerhouse, winning everything for several years and the knock on effects of that success still haven’t played out. They retained players and recruited youngsters to their academy when being at Sarries would have been extremely attractive, both for the glory and the cash. Their academy is now being seen as proof of their rehabilitation, but how many of those players were attracted during the cheating years? For example, Ben Earl comes from Tonbridge, how did he end up in a north London club? Why not Quins? I don’t know the answer but take away the effect of Sarries cheating at the time he joined their academy and maybe he’d have been playing elsewhere today.

Moving on, the authorities had the opportunity to punish both clubs to an appropriate level and did what they felt they could and should. There’s no good to be had in further sanctions, the proverbial horse has bolted.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….