New Salary Cap Breach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by Old Hob »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

As they say it's all about timing...

https://www.leicestertigers.com/club/va ... Accountant
More distressing is advertising for people on zero hour contracts and minimum wage !
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:22 pm As has been pointed out on Twitter we are currently advertising for a "management account"

Best time to start, investigation ongoing, anything irregular should be found & pointed out, can't be blamed for anything prior to you that you miss and then crops up, shouldn't be any surprises for the new incumbent and a clean slate to start with :smt003

Doesn't necessarily send a good message to those investigating right now though, as you say, timing :smt005 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Dont forget that there were staff made redundant last year so this could well be a position available as things start to look brighter.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

From a recruitment point of view the timing is perfect, the ‘organic’ reach of that role will be enormous!
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Just out of interest who is "The Head of Finance" as we don't show a CFO on the BOD, since the departure of Ian Walker
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Finton Kennedy is Non Exec who has been looking after finances since he joined - my guess is this is the main reason now (hopefully) finances are back on an even keel that they feel confident enough to add a Management Accountant to the team so he can can step back from day to day accounts
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Find it odd/reassuring/unnerving that there was so much noise when the story broke, and now relative silence. With Sarries, the Daily Mail were running almost daily updates; although I know that they were instrumental in the investigation and thus probably wanted to remain close to ensure they got the ‘glory’ of the exclusive.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The Sarries investigation took close to a year, I think. If this is a situation where Tigers are holding their hands up and showing that they are now playing within the rules rather than trying to pretend it never happened, then perhaps this one will be far quicker.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Find it odd/reassuring/unnerving that there was so much noise when the story broke, and now relative silence. With Sarries, the Daily Mail were running almost daily updates; although I know that they were instrumental in the investigation and thus probably wanted to remain close to ensure they got the ‘glory’ of the exclusive.
Thing is where ours is relative to theirs is completely different. They are still investigating if anything is wrong and we haven't been charged with any breaches.

The June deadline is only for 5 seasons ago (if that is a/the season affected)

Our story coming out has all the hallmarks of the fact that now they can check players accounts the investigation may involve ex-players or other ex-employees who are angry at the club and frustrated at our current success so have leaked the fact they have been interviewed. Until charges are laid it is MEANT to be confidential.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:23 pm
TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:25 pm Do we have any realistic expectations as to when the current investigation will be concluded? Had read that any charge would have to be levied by June at the latest to fall within the 5yr window.

Thing is where ours is relative to theirs is completely different. They are still investigating if anything is wrong and we haven't been charged with any breaches.

The June deadline is only for 5 seasons ago (if that is a/the season affected)

Our story coming out has all the hallmarks of the fact that now they can check players accounts the investigation may involve ex-players or other ex-employees who are angry at the club and frustrated at our current success so have leaked the fact they have been interviewed. Until charges are laid it is MEANT to be confidential.

What will be will be.............we cannot predict what is being investigated, what the outcome is likely to be or even if charges are going to be brought. Difficult to put an end date on any investigations (in any surrounding) as it is all dependent upon what trails are found and whether they need to go deeper. Just have to be patient and get behind the team on the pitch.
www.matthampson.co.uk
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

They will probably keep digging until they find something otherwise t looks bad on them :smt013
A2O
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

Fair enough someone may have leaked it to the press, but i'd be suprised if an ex player has grassed us up to the salary cap manager about something that could find them in the :censored: as well.

I'd also be suprised if we were the last club to be investigated for this sort of thing.....
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

Fair enough someone may have leaked it to the press, but i'd be suprised if an ex player has grassed us up to the salary cap manager about something that could find them in the :censored: as well.

I'd also be suprised if we were the last club to be investigated for this sort of thing.....
Agreed, we need to keep a lid on the paranoia! Ex-players may not want it investigated any more than we do, I do wonder if the club released the statement last week to take the sting out of it though?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

[/quote]

Agreed, we need to keep a lid on the paranoia! Ex-players may not want it investigated any more than we do, I do wonder if the club released the statement last week to take the sting out of it though?
[/quote]

Possibly forced to make a statement, being a PLC as it is information that could affect share prices.
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:02 pm Not sure why so many people think this is all because of one or more disgruntled ex players. The fact is that HMRC have been conducting investigation, so surely the most likely reason for the current investigation into us is because of that?

For me, the idea that any potential breach should (and surely legally?) remain fully confidential until a charge is issued suggests to me that the initial leak to the press has to have come from an individual rather than from a professional and confidential body, such as HMRC.