New Salary Cap Breach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by chris111 »

Unsurprisingly, posters here largely divide into two camps; those who consider the matter closed and want to “move on”, and those who want to see full disclosure and identify individuals to take blame.

I probably fall somewhere between the two. I think what happens reflects badly on the club and will take a long time for it to rebuild its reputation - and I’m afraid it will dilute some of the enjoyment of current success. However, the punishment seems fair and proportionate, so I don’t really see the need to keep digging away when the main protagonists are no longer at the club.

So - on balance, I am ready to move on.

I am, however, disappointed with the blandly factual statement from the club. I would have liked to read a sincere apology for the reputational damage this has caused for the game as a whole. I am sure this absence of an apology is as a result of legal advice - but lawyers always favour a cautious/correct approach over ‘doing the right thing’!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am hoping that the more apologetic reponse will come later in an interview. I feel that the figures based response in the first instance was necessary as it put out there all fo the details in the interests of being open and allowed people to at least judge the severity against other indiscretions. To no publish the detailed figures would have left room for ongoing rumour and accusation as well as claims of biased treatment v previous punishments.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The responsibility lies with contract and finance people.

Players ultimately are not privy to others contracts and whether or not their work outside of their playing contract is deemed to be salary.
Their responsibility is to work within what is permitted by their Tigers contract and make appropriate declarations to the Inland Revenue.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Egerton is pretty scathing in his WRW
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:01 pm I am, however, disappointed with the blandly factual statement from the club. I would have liked to read a sincere apology for the reputational damage this has caused for the game as a whole. I am sure this absence of an apology is as a result of legal advice - but lawyers always favour a cautious/correct approach over ‘doing the right thing’!
Showing some contrition would be the appropriate thing to do, as a gesture to the section of the fan base that feel let down and embarrassed by the club's actions.

Andrea Pinchen has been on the board since 2014 so is very much a part of this.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm
chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:01 pm I am, however, disappointed with the blandly factual statement from the club. I would have liked to read a sincere apology for the reputational damage this has caused for the game as a whole. I am sure this absence of an apology is as a result of legal advice - but lawyers always favour a cautious/correct approach over ‘doing the right thing’!
Showing some contrition would be the appropriate thing to do, as a gesture to the section of the fan base that feel let down and embarrassed by the club's actions.

Andrea Pinchen joined the Board as the Commercial Director so not sure how much involvement she would have had on the playing side. I believe that she was responsible for non-playing activities and the matchday experiences.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

What form would you like this to take
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

I think a statement from the club explaining their position regarding these payments would help us all put this to bed.
Were the board as a whole aware and in agreement with the disregarding these payments as far as the cap was concerned or were they unaware, and this was the action of an individual, individuals who did not inform the board, this for me is the critical point and unless it is cleared some of us will assume the chairman has something to hide as he should have known!
Sorry, I meant he should have been informed or his advise sought once this area became controversial.
Last edited by BengalTiger on Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm over it already and there's no comparison to Sarries,different stratosphere!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

BengalTiger wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:58 pm I think a statement from the club explaining their position regarding these payments would help us all put this to bed.
Were the board as a whole aware and in agreement with the disregarding these payments as far as the cap was concerned or were they unaware, and this was the action of an individual, individuals who did not inform the board, this for me is the critical point and unless it is cleared some of us will assume the chairman has something to hide as he should have known!
Sorry, I meant he should have been informed or his advise sought once this area became controversial.
So they name individuals there will be then some supporters burning effigies of them outside the Crumbie. Why do supporters think they need an apology or an explanation. A factual statement has been released explaining what has happened and the fines that have been applied.
It really is time to move on and look forward to the rest of the season
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Rugbygramps,
I'm with you let's take it and move on.

I fear we have a big % of the population that want to be everything from voyeurs to extending every issue into a soap opera.
Joys of current communications media, including this forum.

PS Should anyone want to know I had cottage pie for lunch 😋
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:00 pm Rugbygramps,
I'm with you let's take it and move on.

I fear we have a big % of the population that want to be everything from voyeurs to extending every issue into a soap opera.
Joys of current communications media, including this forum.

PS Should anyone want to know I had cottage pie for lunch 😋
HP sauce or gravy
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:46 pm

A form that recognises the damage to reputation! I don’t want gory details, I don’t want blame, I don’t want explanations/excuses. I want something along the lines of:
“As an organisation we behaved badly, we’ve been rightly punished, and we are truly sorry that the club’s actions during that period were completely contrary to ‘rugby values’. We apologise to the whole rugby community, and we promise that Leicester Tigers will be a force for good in the future - we must be better and we will be better”.

I’ve written a few such apologies myself on behalf of my employer - for actions that I had no personal involvement with and sometimes took place before I was in office. It’s just the right thing to do.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

...and has your employer ever actually meant it?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

chris111 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:46 pm

A form that recognises the damage to reputation! I don’t want gory details, I don’t want blame, I don’t want explanations/excuses. I want something along the lines of:
“As an organisation we behaved badly, we’ve been rightly punished, and we are truly sorry that the club’s actions during that period were completely contrary to ‘rugby values’. We apologise to the whole rugby community, and we promise that Leicester Tigers will be a force for good in the future - we must be better and we will be better”.

I’ve written a few such apologies myself on behalf of my employer - for actions that I had no personal involvement with and sometimes took place before I was in office. It’s just the right thing to do.
I take your point, and different people look for different thinks. To me those things should be taken as read, and any such communique is window dressing. Again that is probably just me