Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Breach?

Post by WhitecapTiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:49 pm
RichieB wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:42 pm IF anything significant is found, then maybe a fine. I can’t see why any points deduction would apply if none of the current squad or management were involved with the alleged indiscretions.

Would be interesting to find out who squealed - of the ex-players I can imagine Redmond, Bateman doing it, but I’d also be interested who leaked the investigation the the press.
Agreed. Historic events being dug up.. would seem extremely harsh to punish the current team for historic indiscretions.. guess it will all come out but as we are ‘cooperating fully’ I’d expect our punishment, if indeed a punishment is required, will be a lot less. Plus, Sarries was the current players and management not ‘historic’
As with most historic 'crimes' it should be dealt with according to the laws/rules/legislation in place at the time the alleged offence took place.

If no evidence found or the allegation found to be mischievous (at best) or malicious (at worst) then name the 'source' and hang them out to dry.

If the allegation is proven and rules in place were breached and the club are found to have been complicit in this, hang those responsible out to dry.

Time will tell (obviously) and we'll all have to sit back and await the outcome (sorry Big Dai) but, I do wonder at the timing of this information release, Tigers top of table, 10 from 10 in the league etc etc - conspiracy theories run amok. I'd like to think rugby was beyond 'petty' but humans are involved....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:01 pm Strange how sport can build you up in one moment and smash you down the next.

I was absolutely deliriously happy after a last minute try at Bristol. Then you wake up to this?

As one of the less level headed, emotion driven posters on this forum I guess the effects cut deep.......plus I hate waiting for anything! "We'll just have to see" does me no good at all.

.........plus did anyone else see the cricket last night? Go to the foot of our steps!

Nothing we can do but wait and hope.
I hate waiting too Dai so I feel your pain :smt012
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

If this is linked to WIM, and it only became insolvent in February this year, then how 'historic' are these alleged payments?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

MurphysLaw wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:07 pm If this is linked to WIM, and it only became insolvent in February this year, then how 'historic' are these alleged payments?
THe Times article talks about Andrea Pinchen being interviewed as current CEO (procedural) but that there's no intimation it occurred during her time in CEO post, so prior to May 2020 (?), we finished 11th in 18/19 and 19/20 (and only then due to Sarries being penalised....) so if complicit in allegedly breaching salary cap rules we must have been desperate to find way to bump up the salaries and retain the services of players who were failing.....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

The worry is that in desperate times desperate measures are used even by otherwise sane and sensible folks.

And they were the most desperate of times which makes me worried what we’ve done
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

How embarrassing would it be to have broken the cap while finishing 11th? :smt009

As someone else said, I don't think paying image rights to companies is anything new, but as always with these things the devil is in the detail so until we know more it's not worth second guessing. If the club broke the rules, then I would expect the club to be punished, I don't think it matters whether all the same people are still employed.

Interesting that no one was calling for whistleblowers to be named and shamed when Sarries were the ones being investigated...
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:17 pm
Interesting that no one was calling for whistleblowers to be named and shamed when Sarries were the ones being investigated...
If you start naming whistle blowers then you undermine the system and stop people from speaking out in the future. It would be extremely unethical to name the whistle blower.

I also agree it would sum up the humiliation of those two consecutive 11th place finishes if we were found to be up to silly payment schemes as well.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well didn’t Saracens start off from a massive daily mail investigation.

Also PRL did condemn the leak as unprofessional
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

BBC reports SB as saying that "this investigation is going back years". It's not about this team
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Conspiracy theory number 142.......yes, the mind has raced on that far......is this all linked to the departure of Genge and Ford?

Hmmmmmmm🤔
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Guessing the king of mis-management (now departed) may have some culpability? :smt017 Incidentally, I'm not referring to Murphy!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Various issues here, one of the major ones if this is proven is the Salary Cap "manager" is utterly useless at their role, I would suggest a review of all 13 clubs might be required.

If we are guilty we should be punished but it shouldn't impact the current league placing.

But surely as its historical as per the HM Justice Secretary's view, it won't be investigated......
To win is not as important as playing with style!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Worth reading SB's comments c/o BBC sports
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59809659
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Each and every time anything like this comes up I compare the model in use for rugby to that of the NFL where all player contracts are declared and available for external scrutiny. Why they cannot introduce that type of system I have no idea.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.