chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Newcastle (H) - Sunday 02nd January 2022 -KO 15:00

Post by chris111 »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:05 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:11 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:07 pm

As a player, he's always been solid and done well for club and country - however, I've never liked his grumpy, miserable persona.
Unlike Johnno of course… :smt003
😂
Mike B is a classic pantomime villain, but noticed that having had a really tough day and being jeered at every mistake, he still took the time out to help out a Tigers player (Dan K, I think?) who’d gone down with cramp late in the game. Class act.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Soggypitch wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:17 pm
I thought Stan was an Aussie stream that you have to watch via VPN, so can someone explain why this worked so well and how we access this in the future?

Good performance in poor conditions, with a depleted team, really enjoyed it!!
Stan Sport is an Australian subscription sports channel (similar to BT sport or Sky sports in this country), for which you can buy a subscription and pay for a VPN (the VPN makes it look like you're in Australia so you can use said subscription. Despite paying for a VPN and a Stan sports subscription, it is still cheaper than a BT sports subscription (also has rights to the champions league football amongst other things too) Stan sports uses the BT commentary for the games but actually shows all games live not just the ones BT puts on it's channels live.

The link from yesterday is from the following site:
www.vk.com/video/@rugbyonsofa
This is a Russian social media site, which houses embeded videos for all the rugby games (though normally at least one stream a weekend is overdubbed with Russian commentary on top) given it is a Russian owned site I think they are less concerned about rights ownership of the streams so they let anyone in the world click on the links.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:51 am
Soggypitch wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:17 pm
I thought Stan was an Aussie stream that you have to watch via VPN, so can someone explain why this worked so well and how we access this in the future?

Good performance in poor conditions, with a depleted team, really enjoyed it!!
Stan Sport is an Australian subscription sports channel (similar to BT sport or Sky sports in this country), for which you can buy a subscription and pay for a VPN (the VPN makes it look like you're in Australia so you can use said subscription. Despite paying for a VPN and a Stan sports subscription, it is still cheaper than a BT sports subscription (also has rights to the champions league football amongst other things too) Stan sports uses the BT commentary for the games but actually shows all games live not just the ones BT puts on it's channels live.

The link from yesterday is from the following site:
www.vk.com/video/@rugbyonsofa
This is a Russian social media site, which houses embeded videos for all the rugby games (though normally at least one stream a weekend is overdubbed with Russian commentary on top) given it is a Russian owned site I think they are less concerned about rights ownership of the streams so they let anyone in the world click on the links.
I use Peacock TV (USA) for the games that aren't shown on BT, it's less than £5 per month, yes you need a VPN but overall spread the cost it isn't too bad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 pm I thought the scrum refereeing was exceptionally poor today but to give him a very small amount of credit the microphone with his assistants was not working so he did not hear them calling out all the offences until it was changed.

On our players there were some outstanding performances as mentioned but I was particularly impressed by George Martin. We are obviously struggling with back row unavailablity and he has not played much at 8 but I thought he really stepped up today. He didn’t play a lot at the beginning of the season and looked to have been overtaken by Chessum in the pecking order but he improves with every game he plays. He is always defensively sound and some of his tackles are thunderous but he is adding a lot more carrying into his game, and becoming a real handful. He only made the one error at the base but I think we can forgive him that for A guy who has played so little in that position especially at this level. We now have so many great young players but I think he really is a gem that can only improve and I can see why Eddie Jones is so interested in him.
Sure it was Martin with the error,didn’t Wells pack down at 8?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Scott1 post_id=803605 time=1641212213 user_id=11569]
[quote=mightymouse post_id=803557 time=1641167946 user_id=2307]
I thought the scrum refereeing was exceptionally poor today but to give him a very small amount of credit the microphone with his assistants was not working so he did not hear them calling out all the offences until it was changed.

On our players there were some outstanding performances as mentioned but I was particularly impressed by George Martin. We are obviously struggling with back row unavailablity and he has not played much at 8 but I thought he really stepped up today. He didn’t play a lot at the beginning of the season and looked to have been overtaken by Chessum in the pecking order but he improves with every game he plays. He is always defensively sound and some of his tackles are thunderous but he is adding a lot more carrying into his game, and becoming a real handful. He only made the one error at the base but I think we can forgive him that for A guy who has played so little in that position especially at this level. We now have so many great young players but I think he really is a gem that can only improve and I can see why Eddie Jones is so interested in him.
[/quote]
[/quote]

Wells moved to 8 after Martin was subbed.

Well, got to hold my hand up after worrying about the make-up of our back row, even before the late change. The starting pack were relentless. Wells (as well as Green and Snyman) did not stop running - to see him sprinting as the first player chasing a kick late in the second half epitomised the level of effort. The set pieces were far from perfect, but given the conditions they did pretty well, and late on, to see the scrum packing down with two hookers and a back and still holding their own speaks volumes for the adaptability of the squad.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:41 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:16 pm
mightymouse wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:59 pm I thought the scrum refereeing was exceptionally poor today but to give him a very small amount of credit the microphone with his assistants was not working so he did not hear them calling out all the offences until it was changed.

Wells moved to 8 after Martin was subbed.

Well, got to hold my hand up after worrying about the make-up of our back row, even before the late change. The starting pack were relentless. Wells (as well as Green and Snyman) did not stop running - to see him sprinting as the first player chasing a kick late in the second half epitomised the level of effort. The set pieces were far from perfect, but given the conditions they did pretty well, and late on, to see the scrum packing down with two hookers and a back and still holding their own speaks volumes for the adaptability of the squad.
My mistake,stream wasn’t the best but i thought I saw Martin playing at 8 but Wells packing down there at scrum time. Thanks 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
KevinR

Post by KevinR »

Harry Wells moved to eight for 'defensive' scrums - when we were trying to drive Falcons off their ball with an 8 man shove - presumably because he could push harder! George Martin was there the rest of the time.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

KevinR wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:38 pm Harry Wells moved to eight for 'defensive' scrums - when we were trying to drive Falcons off their ball with an 8 man shove - presumably because he could push harder! George Martin was there the rest of the time.
Thanks Kevin 👍
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

KevinR wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:38 pm Harry Wells moved to eight for 'defensive' scrums - when we were trying to drive Falcons off their ball with an 8 man shove - presumably because he could push harder! George Martin was there the rest of the time.
I think that was more for speed of the flankers off the scrum. It was why on the defensive scrum near the end that Kini packed at 8 and Wells at 6.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

On re examination of the video .. Martin was 8 on our ball hence the error but the following scrum of theirs which we made mincemeat of , Harry packed at 8. One assumes aGeorge has better control and carry ability but Harry adds more power when concentrating merely in destruction. Also George of the flank a bit quicker for defensive duties. Interesting switching