sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: BRISTOL (A) - 26th December 2021 - 2-00pm

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:23 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:13 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:43 pm

Just watched it back and at no time did Piatau make contact with the line whilst in possession of the ball. He played in back into the field of play whilst he was in the air.
Exactly correct, it happened right below where we were sitting, Briz fans didn't agree with Foleys ruling, booing him etc, but in my book it was absolutely correct ruling.
I believe the Bristol fans thought they had won the game as the clock had turned red…..
For a second I thought Foley had given the knock on and blown the final whistle. I was quite releaved when he called for the scrum to be the final play.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:51 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Exactly correct, it happened right below where we were sitting, Briz fans didn't agree with Foleys ruling, booing him etc, but in my book it was absolutely correct ruling.
I believe the Bristol fans thought they had won the game as the clock had turned red…..
For a second I thought Foley had given the knock on and blown the final whistle. I was quite releaved when he called for the scrum to be the final play.
Foley was spot on but like you Sam I thought he did the FT whistle blow at which point the Bristol fans starting celebrating.. he then starting asking a few questions to the TMO so perhaps he had blown for FT but subsequently went back to check.. either way I was relieved to see him award the scrum!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 pm
Foley was spot on but like you Sam I thought he did the FT whistle blow at which point the Bristol fans starting celebrating.. he then starting asking a few questions to the TMO so perhaps he had blown for FT but subsequently went back to check.. either way I was relieved to see him award the scrum!
TMO Pearce came on comms and said the ball being played back in was before clock went red!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:42 pm

TMO Pearce came on comms and said the ball being played back in was before clock went red!
There were approx 8 seconds left as the kick was taken and no doubt we asked if there would be time for the lineout, or we would not have kicked penalty for touch, we were playing right down to the wire!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:47 pm

There were approx 8 seconds left as the kick was taken and no doubt we asked if there would be time for the lineout, or we would not have kicked penalty for touch, we were playing right down to the wire!
Doesn't matter how much time is left if its a penalty ,you can kick for a lineout in the red
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:52 pm
Doesn't matter how much time is left if its a penalty ,you can kick for a lineout in the red
But it didn't go into touch, so scrum would have approx 6 secs left on clock..
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:57 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:52 pm

But it didn't go into touch, so scrum would have approx 6 secs left on clock..
No but your point was we asked if there was time for the subsequent lineout. We wouldn't have and didn't need too.
"There were approx 8 seconds left as the kick was taken and no doubt we asked if there would be time for the lineout, or we would not have kicked penalty for touch, we were playing right down to the wire!"
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I wasn't sure if Tigers were given the choice of line out or scrum but I think just the latter. (Although their player played the ball beyond the line he started and finished his attempt in touch himself)

The ball was in touch and their player knocked it on in his (unsuccessful) attempt to keep it in play. Because the kick was from a penalty Tigers would have been permitted to take it even if the clock had been in the red, unlike a kick to touch from broken play or a free kick)
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:36 am I wasn't sure if Tigers were given the choice of line out or scrum but I think just the latter. (Although their player played the ball beyond the line he started and finished his attempt in touch himself)

The ball was in touch and their player knocked it on in his (unsuccessful) attempt to keep it in play. Because the kick was from a penalty Tigers would have been permitted to take it even if the clock had been in the red, unlike a kick to touch from broken play or a free kick)
For me it’s one of the new laws I was really pleased with when it came in. It meant teams couldn’t give away penalties on purpose to kill the game when 3+ points ahead or defending deep in the other teams half.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

It did not matter but it is not acceptable that the ref, assistant and TMO do not know that you cannot be outside the playing area, and jump to catch or to knock the ball after it has passed over the touchline, it is not a complicated rule, at least one of the 3 should have known it!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Just watched the last 5 minutes again. A few things that stood out having watched it back:

- Foley stopped the clock very quickly before the scrum with 58s left to play. Players down receiving treatment and trying to run the clock down but Foley wasn’t buying it. In fact, he didn’t restart it until after the second reset as Sinckler pulled out of the engage on the first attempt but crucially the clock wasn’t running. Foley said “the clock will start when we get a scrum.. and then… the watch is stopped you can do this as much as you like”.. We got the turnover penalty with about 25s left to play.. had Foley not been so quick to stop the watch and not restart it until the scrum had settled Bristol would have won that game as it would have been out the scrum, one phase and into touch. Very good refereeing for me not buying the time wasting. Also, Fords penalty to touch was knocked on by Piatau with about 8s left. Had the clock gone dead then it would have been a knock on with clock in the red and FT. Lots of referees wouldn’t have handled that as well and we would have lost that one.

- we were pretty lucky not to be pinged when Heyes ran into Dolly in the dying seconds as the Bristol tackler was initially impeded but subsequently made the tackle.. could have gone the other way on another day.

Very fine margins that boil down to our determination but also some very fine refereeing (from our perspective anyway).. ok so the fact Piatau started in touch was missed by all but aside from that the refereeing definitely helped with the final outcome
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:42 pm Just watched the last 5 minutes again. A few things that stood out having watched it back:

- Foley stopped the clock very quickly before the scrum with 58s left to play. Players down receiving treatment and trying to run the clock down but Foley wasn’t buying it. In fact, he didn’t restart it until after the second reset as Sinckler pulled out of the engage on the first attempt but crucially the clock wasn’t running. Foley said “the clock will start when we get a scrum.. and then… the watch is stopped you can do this as much as you like”.. We got the turnover penalty with about 25s left to play.. had Foley not been so quick to stop the watch and not restart it until the scrum had settled Bristol would have won that game as it would have been out the scrum, one phase and into touch. Very good refereeing for me not buying the time wasting. Also, Fords penalty to touch was knocked on by Piatau with about 8s left. Had the clock gone dead then it would have been a knock on with clock in the red and FT. Lots of referees wouldn’t have handled that as well and we would have lost that one.

- we were pretty lucky not to be pinged when Heyes ran into Dolly in the dying seconds as the Bristol tackler was initially impeded but subsequently made the tackle.. could have gone the other way on another day.

Very fine margins that boil down to our determination but also some very fine refereeing (from our perspective anyway).. ok so the fact Piatau started in touch was missed by all but aside from that the refereeing definitely helped with the final outcome
IMO the clock should be stopped at every scrum until "set' is called, at a lineout to stop the 'stroll' to the mark, and every place kick until the kicker moves. It will change the mindset and give us (the supporters) more game time.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

TigerCam wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:20 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:42 pm Just watched the last 5 minutes again. A few things that stood out having watched it back:

IMO the clock should be stopped at every scrum until "set' is called, at a lineout to stop the 'stroll' to the mark, and every place kick until the kicker moves. It will change the mindset and give us (the supporters) more game time.
I’ve ended up watching a lot of games as replays on BT sport and you can watch most in well under an hour due to the time wasted during the match.

It would be a great benefit to the game to stop the clock and speed up play.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I think there may be unexpected consequences to stopping the clock all the time. Perhaps I can dawdle to the line-out knowing the clock is off. In any case, it would turn the game more in the direction of American football which stops the clock at the end of each play.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:55 pm I think there may be unexpected consequences to stopping the clock all the time. Perhaps I can dawdle to the line-out knowing the clock is off. In any case, it would turn the game more in the direction of American football which stops the clock at the end of each play.
It does, but it also has a play clock which starts as soon as the previous play has concluded. Rugby would struggle to have the same equivalent with so many differing styles of restart.