Our next LH

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Our next LH

Post by physiodan »

So, Genge has decided his heart is with Bristol so this post is not to wallow on that fact, there is a perfectly good post for that.

Who will be his replacement?
1. Leatigaga
2. James Whitcombe
3. Francois Van Wyk

These are the current squad options but I expect we will see an import. I would quite like to see Thomas Gallo come in. Young Argentine Prop currently at Benetton. Hopefully his Captain can have an influence.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Our next LH

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

physiodan wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 am So, Genge has decided his heart is with Bristol so this post is not to wallow on that fact, there is a perfectly good post for that.

1. Leatigaga
2. James Whitcombe
3. Francois Van Wyk

These are the current squad options but I expect we will see an import. I would quite like to see Thomas Gallo come in. Young Argentine Prop currently at Benetton. Hopefully his Captain can have an influence.
Plenty of rumours the Leatigaga is heading back to France
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

physiodan wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:50 am So, Genge has decided his heart is with Bristol so this post is not to wallow on that fact, there is a perfectly good post for that.

1. Leatigaga
2. James Whitcombe
3. Francois Van Wyk

Thought he was playing as a hooker not a prop for Benetton as he is on the smaller side for a prop.
Hehehehehehehehe
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With both Richardson and Whitcombe coming through as young LH props I'd only look to get one LH if Leatigaga and Genge go
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

trendylfj wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:38 am

1. Leatigaga
2. James Whitcombe
3. Francois Van Wyk

Thought he was playing as a hooker not a prop for Benetton as he is on the smaller side for a prop.
Certainly played 1 this season and played there for the Pumas too
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

1. Van Wyk, Whitcombe, Richardson
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd
Both: Leatigaga

We could manage with that if Richardson and Whitcombe can take on some more work.

We've got Hoyt coming through as well, he's a big boy and has played a bit of Championship rugby at a young age and is playing fairly regularly at Loughborough University. There's a couple of others beside him.

I'm not really interested in signing just anyone to replace Genge. It's either a high quality loosehead that's going to be a real asset to us for sometime or we bank the cap space and bide our time. There's a couple of really nice options coming out of contract the summer after next if we opt to hold on.

This summer: Marler (unlikely), Obano (likely Sarries), Mako (likely France), Schoeman (rumoured to be leaving Edinburgh), Hepburn (Exeter), Goodrick-Clark (LI), Nariashvili (Montpellier but likely to stay in France).

Next summer: Tom West, Ox Nche.

Goodrick-Clark is a big lad I'd be interested in him potentially, get an Aled pre season into him and he could become pretty good. Depends how much he'd want cash wise. West or the Ox next season would be preferable but it's chancy waiting a year as no one is going to sort a deal that far in advance now. Schoeman is a good loosehead from what I've heard but not seen much of him. Goodrick-Clark is EQ which would also be useful.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:35 pm 1. Van Wyk, Whitcombe, Richardson
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd

We could manage with that if Richardson and Whitcombe can take on some more work.

We've got Hoyt coming through as well, he's a big boy and has played a bit of Championship rugby at a young age and is playing fairly regularly at Loughborough University. There's a couple of others beside him.

I'm not really interested in signing just anyone to replace Genge. It's either a high quality loosehead that's going to be a real asset to us for sometime or we bank the cap space and bide our time. There's a couple of really nice options coming out of contract the summer after next if we opt to hold on.

This summer: Marler (unlikely), Obano (likely Sarries), Mako (likely France), Schoeman (rumoured to be leaving Edinburgh), Hepburn (Exeter), Goodrick-Clark (LI), Nariashvili (Montpellier but likely to stay in France).

Goodrick-Clark is a big lad I'd be interested in him potentially, get an Aled pre season into him and he could become pretty good. Depends how much he'd want cash wise. West or the Ox next season would be preferable but it's chancy waiting a year as no one is going to sort a deal that far in advance now. Schoeman is a good loosehead from what I've heard but not seen much of him. Goodrick-Clark is EQ which would also be useful.
Don’t fancy Ben Moon as a tick over prop,although not sure what his contract position at Exeter is
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 pm
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd

Don’t fancy Ben Moon as a tick over prop,although not sure what his contract position at Exeter is
He signed a "long term contract" in 2020 so I'd assume there's another year to run.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:14 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:42 pm
3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd

He signed a "long term contract" in 2020 so I'd assume there's another year to run.
Thanks Sam 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

3. Cole, Heyes, Hurd

Schoeman is very good
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Was interesting to see a wholesale front row change today with the 'pork pie squad' coming on. The starting three didn't cover themselves in glory, leaving Leatigaga still underlining why he's a great bench option but no starter.

Whitcombe, on the other hand, came on and showed that with an experienced pair of Cole and Montoya that he's more than capable. I would not be surprised to see him get more game time as the season goes on.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:50 pm Was interesting to see a wholesale front row change today with the 'pork pie squad' coming on. The starting three didn't cover themselves in glory, leaving Leatigaga still underlining why he's a great bench option but no starter.

Whitcombe, on the other hand, came on and showed that with an experienced pair of Cole and Montoya that he's more than capable. I would not be surprised to see him get more game time as the season goes on.
One penalty won and one penalty conceded. The one conceded was right at the end of the first half where Leatigaga looked cream crackered.

I thought the starting front three did alright but agree on Leatigaga he tired to quickly and is an ideal bench option as a result. Heyes and Dolly put in decent shifts. I think Heyes won the early penalty and Dolly scored a other try.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Maybe it was significant that in his post-match comments, Steve Borthwick singled out Whitcombe for special praise. Ps Hope the "pork pie squad" label sticks!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

But what of the ABC Club?
Don't fancy upsetting Garth, Julian, PW and all who went before! :smt018 :smt011
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:40 pm But what of the ABC Club?
Don't fancy upsetting Garth, Julian, PW and all who went before! :smt018 :smt011
By definition the ABC club is the starting front row, the Pork Pie Squad is the replacements/finishers/impact players or whichever terminology you prefer.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere