Re: Genge leaving

Post by RichieB »

He is - front cover and February!
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

For my money we play him vs Bristol but make him very aware that it's a 60 ~ 80 minute job interview for captaincy for the rest of the season and consideration for any other matches against Bristol. Beyond that, if his performance warrants him being selected I wouldn't be too upset if SB runs him into the ground for the rest of the season.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Have let the dust settle on this to see if I feel any different from the disappointment that I felt when I first heard. I’m still confused and a bit miffed to be honest. We know he wanted to go back to Bristol. It’s for family reasons. If he’s not happy living in Leicester and his partner is unsettled then I respect that. It has to be that as they made a point of saying he’s taken a pay cut, so it’s not for money, unless he’s taken a cut but year 2 etc will ramp up. Again, I don’t really care about that. I just can’t see why you would leave Tigers NOW, when we’re flying, he’s been made skipper and the future looks bright. Sure it’s a business but being happy playing translates to a happy home life surely ? Which where I think there’s more to it. Lots of the young crop have flagged Genge as their inspiration and leader, so what will they think ? All that talk of the coaching staff being amazing, making it simple, everyone buying into it etc...academy lads coming through....fighting for places.......the fans...how great are they, best atmosphere, biggest club, most passionate, biggest away following......he meant it ? It doesn’t add up.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

It's just what players say these days, the others are saying Genge is an inspiration because that's what you say publicly about your captain. Genge says Borthwick is an inspiration because that's what you say about your Head Coach. Everyone says they love the fans because that's what you say about fans. It's all just words and a lot of the time it means absolutely nothing. Formal statements in particular are nothing to do with the player supposedly making them, they are written by media/PR people.

What else is Genge going to say to the press when he gets given the captaincy - "Borthwick is a rubbish coach, I'm still bitter about salary renegotiations during covid, Leicester is a dump and I'd rather be in Bristol, and the fans are all a bunch of sausages". Ok, the last bit is exactly what he would say. What he really thinks is undoubtedly somewhere in between that and the PR stuff that gets sent out.

As has been said, Genge is likely taking a pay cut from what he is on now, not what he was offered to stay at Tigers.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Oh the Irony.

Just watched BT Sports' Gallagher Premiership rugby coverage advert (mainly Christmas focused I think). It ends with George Ford and Ellis Genge in Tigers' kit in front of a Leicester Tigers background.

Genge appears to be looking all around himself.

Fordy says "This is where we belong"

I assume he's meaning the rugby coverage......

You'd almost think the 2 players and BT sport were having a laugh at the club's expense. Maybe it is just unfortunate timing.

My, how I laughed.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Neil Back seems to go along with majority opinion on this one .....

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... rs-6372645
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Bristol made a point of highlighting Genge's pay cut. Sale did it with Ford and we did it with Pollard, too. It seems quite common in announcements at the moment, but I think it's a red herring. Because of the salary cap reduction I'd assume almost every player will be faced with stagnant or reduced pay.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Here's the thing. Would we rather have Genge playing vs Bristol already knowing publicly he is off. Or playing Bristol where he knew he was off. I mean its arguably better to see where his head is at with this knowing publicly he is off - whereas players who know they are off and where they are going when the public don't can just have 'an off day' and we wouldn't, as fans, say much more.

Am I disappointed, yes, but only because the way it came about was completely class-less (Pat Lam did himself no favours last year at MWWR - yes its still burning me inside - and this is no real surprise either - the guy really isn't 'all that' - and his long-term contract seems to be a bit of a clever ploy to take advantage of any 'existing contrast agreements' in the cap moving forward).

We knew Gengy would go back. But we can hold our heads up high that he came here, became a better person, a much better player and is one less player to lose to England every time - after all if Sinks stays at Bris they are going to have a bit of a problem come internationals....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Genge will want to prove something v Bristol.
The worry might be he overplays
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:38 am Genge will want to prove something v Bristol.
The worry might be he overplays
100%
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think this shows the stupidity in getting rid of the no negotiations prior to January. These announcements are coming much earlier in the season (not just for us, Koch, McGinty etc too) with publicly signed players announced so much earlier all these announcements are so much more distrating for the season.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

SB has said on camera today that he knew about this a while ago and the two looked friendly enough on the pitch.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Re the calendar - he’s January in the Matt Hampton calendar, so I will put something over his picture. Mind you, as I’m sure you realise, I only buy the calendar for the excellent photography, the lighting and because it’s for Matt.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Don’t know if it’s just where I was in the ground today, but it 100% seemed like Genge was boo’d when showed on the screen during the game. Either that or the crowd were boo’ing a decision by the ref and it coincided with his face being on the screen…
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:22 pm Don’t know if it’s just where I was in the ground today, but it 100% seemed like Genge was boo’d when showed on the screen during the game. Either that or the crowd were boo’ing a decision by the ref and it coincided with his face being on the screen…
I think it was the later. I was booing at the time and then notice he was on the screen which made me chuckle a bit but my booing was definitely at the decision not Ellis.