Genge leaving

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Genge leaving

Post by Postiger2 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm He has signed for Bristol and they have released the video....not instigated by Ellis.
Not great but if he sticks to his word and shows his commitment in games he can play. The captaincy is another issue....
If his performances dip, he should be dropped....we are still paying his wages!
This is where I'm at. By all means play him but your captain is your figurehead. He's just appeared in a Bristol Bears t-shirt hugging Pat Lam. Sends out all the wrong messages if he's allowed to remain captain. He can talk about being committed to and focused on Tigers but how can that be true when he's been over to Bristol to make that cosy video. No way should he be captain.
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

He should be dropped immediately after that video. Hugely disrespectful. Looks awful. He should be smarter than that for sure. Borthwick should hand it to Hanro first thing Monday morning.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

The reception for him on Sunday will be interesting…
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

KiwiTig wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:19 pm I’ve just seen the video of Genge at Bristol with Pat Lam
What a complete muppet
Totally disloyal and out of order
Why would Borthwick want this man as captain now, even as a player ?
I’m sure SB will throw the book at him and rightly so!
Bristol are desperate for some positive spin after their disaster of a season so far and no doubt really need some positive PR around Pat Lam who's showing very little tactical nous having just signed a whopping contract.

I'd have preferred for Ellis not to do the PR stunt but he's probably excited to return home, he's made no secret of being a Bristol boy. Tigers was always his second club.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Genge is a professional rugby player and if his attitude remains fully there he should continue to be available for selection. Captaincy is something that Borthwick will deal with in his way.
I expect that he wants to leave with silverware.
It could have been a lot worse....he is wearing a black umbro tee shirt, jogging bottoms and sandals....he could have been shown with a Bears shirt bearing his name....They have only shown him signing the contract.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

It doesn't matter what his attitude is/was. How do you trust him to give his all for the team when he's just been at another club producing a video like that? Especially considering our next premiership game is against Bristol themselves.

A shambles. Should have kept his head down and done this at the end of the season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBF to Ellis he played last week knowing about the video and he was extremely passionate in the end.
I don't doubt he will give his all.

But as said the captaincy is another thing.
Interesting not come out on his own social media channels to say anything, Ford posted a pretty nice lengthy post on Instagram which tbh made me understand things more from his POV.
tigercub21

Post by tigercub21 »

I’m done with Genge now, that video has done it. He is normally very active on social media so I hope he sees the negative reception. You just can’t have a photo shoot in another kit when you are the LEICESTER TIGERS captain.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I used to have respect for Genge.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

tigercub21 wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:26 pm I’m done with Genge now, that video has done it. He is normally very active on social media so I hope he sees the negative reception. You just can’t have a photo shoot in another kit when you are the LEICESTER TIGERS captain.
Cant recall him in another kit....just tee shirt and signing contract.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I wish Ellis the greatest good fortune both personally and as a professional rugby player and I have no problem with his decision to sign for Bristol.

Over coffee one day back in 2019, I suggested to our former CEO that Ellis Genge should be our next captain. I also told Ellis.

However, in light of the video posted on the Bears' website, were Andrea to ask me about the captaincy now, I'd suggest she ask for the armband back and give him a P45 in return.

Irrespective of what may have happened during the Covid pay cuts, the fans have taken Ellis to their hearts and shown him nothing but respect throughout his time here. The video has thrown that respect back in our faces. It has rubbed our collective nose in it. I might have expected it from Pat Lam - particularly with our visit to Bristol on Boxing Day - but I expected better from Ellis.

Ellis Genge could not have had a better role model as captain than his predecessor . Pity he didn't take advantage.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:33 pm He has signed for Bristol and they have released the video....not instigated by Ellis.
Not great but if he sticks to his word and shows his commitment in games he can play. The captaincy is another issue....
If his performances dip, he should be dropped....we are still paying his wages!
“Please don’t release that video until the end of the season, I’m still captain of Leicester Tigers.”
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Or please don’t video me at all I’m captain of Leicester Tigers
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Wonder if there will be disciplinary action. Absolutely should no longer be captain.
I'm not cynical just experienced
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly the very least might have been to wait till after the game v them.