Leicester Tigers Academy 2021/22

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: Leicester Tigers Academy 2021/22

Post by Rugbygramps »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:25 pm Fantastic to come back from. 19-7 down at half time.
I only watched the last 15 minutes but Quins did nothing during that time
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWuTEakt58

Saints v Bristol 1st place final
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I went to Worcester for the Under 18's Finals, saw the 2nd half of Worcester v London Irish. followed by Sale Sharks v Saracens, then Tigers v Harlequins and the 1st half of Saints v Bristol. A real joy to see so many young lads playing with such commitment and enthusiasm. The disparity in maturity at that age is massive, some guys could easily be taken for mid-twenties others appeared to be just out of junior school, vert difficult to spot who was at that level simply because they are bigger and stronger than most and who is there because of skill and technique, of course some just had everything.
I was very impressed by our Tigers lads coming from behind, at half time I thought we were out of it, the strength of character in the team was there for all to see and at the end Harlequins were well beaten.
I was very impressed that Pat Lam was there to support his young Bears.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Finn Carnduff
George Loose
Joe Woodward

Selected by U18 for their squad v France
Tamworthtiger

Post by Tamworthtiger »

Joe Woodward and George Loose starting centres. Finn Carnduff on the bench.
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

Chester Owen looks a right handfull at 6 or 8 - I certainly get the Weise comment. Looks big, physically dominant (at this level), breaks the line, pretty quick, good feet, good hands, definite eye for an intercept, nice off-load and runs good lines - solid in defence too, some very big hits. Interesting to see how he gets on.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yeh.

Also Chester owen has his highlights on Instagram usually a sign that players don’t have a contract which honestly would be odd as he looks a very good player so hope not the case.

Although honestly have no idea on who will come up some really talented players in this group.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:57 am Yeh.

Also Chester owen has his highlights on Instagram usually a sign that players don’t have a contract which honestly would be odd as he looks a very good player so hope not the case.

Although honestly have no idea on who will come up some really talented players in this group.
I really think it would be a mistake to not offer him a contract. Unless there’s more to it, behind the scenes, he’s certainly got lots of potential at 6 or 8. Wiese won’t be around forever and someone like Owen will get snapped up by another team.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:09 pm

I really think it would be a mistake to not offer him a contract. Unless there’s more to it, behind the scenes, he’s certainly got lots of potential at 6 or 8. Wiese won’t be around forever and someone like Owen will get snapped up by another team.
Don't forget we also have Ilione.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly Ilione imo will end up more a flanker, on either side.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm confident if he's good enough he will be signed up. I know some people like to complain about who we've let go, but I'm struggling to think of an academy product who we've not offered a senior contract to and has gone on to be a top player at another club, so I have faith in the clubs judgement.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

LE18 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:20 pm
LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:09 pm

Don't forget we also have Ilione.
As RB said, I think Ilione will end up as a 6/7, who can also cover 8. He’s also doing a medical degree, so there’s no guarantee he stays in rugby as long as he might otherwise.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:37 pm I'm confident if he's good enough he will be signed up. I know some people like to complain about who we've let go, but I'm struggling to think of an academy product who we've not offered a senior contract to and has gone on to be a top player at another club, so I have faith in the clubs judgement.
Tommy Freeman.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Going back a lot further but definitely Hamish Watson.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

:smt044 ok so we've kicked out some brilliant players, I take it back!
RagingBull wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:14 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:37 pm I'm confident if he's good enough he will be signed up. I know some people like to complain about who we've let go, but I'm struggling to think of an academy product who we've not offered a senior contract to and has gone on to be a top player at another club, so I have faith in the clubs judgement.
Tommy Freeman.
Fair enough, didn't know he was at the Tigers academy, he is doing pretty well for himself! I don't remember hearing of him here, was he let go at a younger age?
ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:39 pm Going back a lot further but definitely Hamish Watson.
Was Watson rejected or did he choose to go to Scotland?