Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Connacht (H) - Sunday 19th December 2021 - KO 13:00

Post by Scott1 »

Scuttle wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:33 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:23 pm
Crofty wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:10 pm

If we are going to call them the pork pie squad then I move that JvP is the different gravy that comes with them...
Pork pie with gravy! 😱😱
I come from a family of pork pie (and sausage) producers in St Helens ....yes I know RL territory.... and having tried all combinations, my favourite is salad cream, but not mayonnaise. Picalilli after that. It needs the vinegar to cut through the fat. I promise you won't be disappointed if you try it with your Christmas booofet this year. Happy Christmas to all.
Salad cream is very good with pork pie. I actually like sausage,pasta and salad cream too 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Whitcombe played a beaut, it was great seeing him with the support of Montoya and Cole but my goodness he made a statement IMO.

Think we need to hang fire before we string up Burns, he's just come back from a rib injury, we don't know how long he's been able to kick for etc, Hegarty is a good option to have though and Burns will struggle to displace him if he gets the 22 jersey
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:42 pm

Pork pie with gravy! 😱😱
I come from a family of pork pie (and sausage) producers in St Helens ....yes I know RL territory.... and having tried all combinations, my favourite is salad cream, but not mayonnaise. Picalilli after that. It needs the vinegar to cut through the fat. I promise you won't be disappointed if you try it with your Christmas booofet this year. Happy Christmas to all.
Salad cream is very good with pork pie. I actually like sausage,pasta and salad cream too 👍
Enough of this Rhubarb..........there is another word for it but it gets censored.

There's only one thing that goes with pork pie.......and that's another pork pie.

Like there's only one thing you should put in a Remy.......and that's another Remy.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:54 pm

Enough of this Rhubarb..........there is another word for it but it gets censored.

There's only one thing that goes with pork pie.......and that's another pork pie.

Like there's only one thing you should put in a Remy.......and that's another Remy.
Pork pie followed by a Rémy, and repeated until you can take no more ……. what a way to go!!
Semper in excretia
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:31 pm Borths likes Porter,could be wrong but I believe he’s been involved in every 23 when fit.
Yes agreed. Porter is one of those players, he’s not flashy just does the right thing all the time.
Ported puts real effort in and he and Potter chase the kicks, which make the game plan so much more effective. I think it has been him missing the tackle/ not trusting his inside man for the close quarters tries. I am sure if it is that will be worked on. We need to keep these young lads as the core of the team for the next 5 years.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Pork pie with gravy! 😱😱
Another vote for Picalilli but salad cream??? REALLY?? :smt010 :smt011 :smt043 As a Yorkshireman who lived near a renown pie shop in his youth salad cream is certainly not de rigueur. Neither is that appalling southern behaviour of eating a pie cold.That said, a good soaking of mushy peas on a warm pork pie with a pint of bitter is divine.

p.s. Incidentally, enjoyed the game as well. The introduction of the Pork Pie Club :smt040 certainly changed the game. Credit to Connaught though, they made a real go of it.

Overall, I'm calling it the Ben Youngs Revival Episode 2.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:21 pm
Connachtabu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:57 pm Just to offer another perspective on reffing, I thought the intentional knock on at start of second half (your 13 maybe?) was very lucky not to get yellow card. That ball goes outside him there’s a line break and real chance of try and he had zero chance of catching, it was pretty cynical.

But all fans look at game with blinkers on and no doubt Connacht had decisions going their way too.
As a Tigers fan who tries to keep the blinkers off, you’ve got a point about the knock on. I was pretty much in line and I don’t think we could have complained if it was judged to be deliberate and worthy of a yellow. Very impressed with Connaught throughout - Carty is outstanding. Tigers bench front-row decisively swung the game for me.
Referee said Tigers had cover out wide so was happy with just a penalty
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Watched late so just finished.. great to get the 5 points as we certainly weren't at our best once again and Connacht looked very good for much of the match.

First half looked very disjointed.. not surprising really with the selection. Burns very rusty and had a game to forget. We looked so much better when Hegarty switched to 10, Steward to 15 and Porter to the wing. That front row that many have been wanting to see was a wrecking ball at scrum time.. very solid and changed the game.

Reffell was exceptional once again and the impact off the bench made the difference in a tight game.

Referee was pretty average but to be honest he's not the best official so overall no complaints from me. Would have liked the neck roll on MVS to at least be picked up at the end though.. had that drop goal won them the game I'd have been fuming. TMO should be picking up neck tolls if the ref misses it.

Anyway.. another win, 13 from 13, stand out performances from the replacement front row, Reffell and I thought Hegarty had a good game. Don't play Steward on the wing, Burns a bit rusty and that front row in the first half didn't really work.

Top equal of pool B.. COYT :smt038
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Another hard fought win and apart from some fans booing Genge we fans made some terrific noise. Ben Youngs excellent again as was Reffell. Felt sorry for Freddie as he looked nervous and was trying too hard but boy, once again Bryce Hegarty shows what a great rugby brain he has. Ref inconsistent, and if we hadn’t scored at least two tries then they surely would have had two more yellows for at least 3 high tackles far worse than the one Youngs( rightly) got pinged for.
Front row change made a huge difference. Thought Connacht were well deserved leaders after 48 minutes but once again Tigers stepped up a gear.
Now really do want to beat Bristol with Genge proving he will give his all!
Please if any of you on here were there and booed him I ask you to cheer this team on. Genge a great bloke, does a lot in the Bristol community as he did here pre lockdown.
One last mention: Dan Cole: brilliant and his tackle on the wing to prevent them breaking away was the stuff of dreams for most props.
Truefollower
Tiger Cub

Post by Truefollower »

For those fans who booed Ellis Genge, shame on you the guy is doing what he thinks is best for his family and his career. I don't doubt he will give his all for the rest of the season however fans like those who booed may well change his mind. He is stilll a Tiger and captain till the season ends. SHAME ON YOU.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Pork pie followed by a Rémy, and repeated until you can take no more ……. what a way to go!!
Do you remember Major Dennis Bloodnock?

BOOOOOM. "No more curried eggs for me!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Connachtabu

Post by Connachtabu »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm
Connachtabu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:57 pm Just to offer another perspective on reffing, I thought the intentional knock on at start of second half (your 13 maybe?) was very lucky not to get yellow card. That ball goes outside him there’s a line break and real chance of try and he had zero chance of catching, it was pretty cynical.

But all fans look at game with blinkers on and no doubt Connacht had decisions going their way too.
As a Tigers fan who tries to keep the blinkers off, you’ve got a point about the knock on. I was pretty much in line and I don’t think we could have complained if it was judged to be deliberate and worthy of a yellow. Very impressed with Connaught throughout - Carty is outstanding. Tigers bench front-row decisively swung the game for me.
There was no one going to be able to cover who the pass was immediately going to as far as I could see and there was certainly going to be a break into 22 at least. I think an awful lot of the time that’s a yellow.

There was also a clear forward pass for one of the first half Leicester tries (think it was the second try), from the break in midfield that led to try that should have been called back.

Connacht got away with stuff too of course, was delighted to see Carty put over a drop goal because I think try would have been called back.

Leicester were worthy winners by the way, just saying we all tend to focus on decisions that we don’t get wrongly and forget those we do get wrongly.

Enjoy the turkey, chat to you folks for the rematch.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:01 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:01 pm

Do you remember Major Dennis Bloodnock?

BOOOOOM. "No more curried eggs for me!"
Ahh! Bloodnok the Flatulent!
Semper in excretia
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Connachtabu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:03 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm

There was no one going to be able to cover who the pass was immediately going to as far as I could see and there was certainly going to be a break into 22 at least. I think an awful lot of the time that’s a yellow.

There was also a clear forward pass for one of the first half Leicester tries (think it was the second try), from the break in midfield that led to try that should have been called back.

Connacht got away with stuff too of course, was delighted to see Carty put over a drop goal because I think try would have been called back.

Leicester were worthy winners by the way, just saying we all tend to focus on decisions that we don’t get wrongly and forget those we do get wrongly.

Enjoy the turkey, chat to you folks for the rematch.
I guess as you say both sides had bits missed so all evens out in the end.. the missed neck roll on MVS in the build up to the late drop goal for example went unpunished. Overall I can’t complain about the standard of the officials today, we have seen far worse in the Premiership and nobody is perfect.

Thanks for your insight and for taking the time to come on and post. Happy Christmas
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Connacht had good shape in attack and looked threatening but it was our errors that gave them their tries, rather than them cutting us open. Ok, decent Aki offload but our error. Hegarty is just starting to move through the gears now after a slow start. Very good last week and again today. Another player who does the right thing more often than not.