Connacht (H) - Sunday 19th December 2021 - KO 13:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Connacht (H) - Sunday 19th December 2021 - KO 13:00

Post by mol2 »

If we look at the why we came close to losing the match, the issue as the selection of the backs.

Were both Potter and Nandolo both injured? Strange to play your best full back on the wing and start with your 2 fly halfs on the pitch. Let’s not sugar the pill, Burns had a howler. Following his injury should he not have been brought on from the bench rather than starting in a European cup match? If both Potter and Nandolo were injured, should Ford not have started, with Hegarty at full back and Burns brought on to replace Ford or Hegarty to get him up to pace?

Where was the on field leadership? Who should have been talking to Burns when it seemed he was trying to force things?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Connachtabu wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:03 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:04 pm
chris111 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:21 pm

As a Tigers fan who tries to keep the blinkers off, you’ve got a point about the knock on. I was pretty much in line and I don’t think we could have complained if it was judged to be deliberate and worthy of a yellow. Very impressed with Connaught throughout - Carty is outstanding. Tigers bench front-row decisively swung the game for me.
Referee said Tigers had cover out wide so was happy with just a penalty
There was no one going to be able to cover who the pass was immediately going to as far as I could see and there was certainly going to be a break into 22 at least. I think an awful lot of the time that’s a yellow.

There was also a clear forward pass for one of the first half Leicester tries (think it was the second try), from the break in midfield that led to try that should have been called back.

Connacht got away with stuff too of course, was delighted to see Carty put over a drop goal because I think try would have been called back.

Leicester were worthy winners by the way, just saying we all tend to focus on decisions that we don’t get wrongly and forget those we do get wrongly.

Enjoy the turkey, chat to you folks for the rematch.
Can't say I agree on the yellow card for the knock on especially as it was a legitimate attempt to catch the ball with the second hand coming up for the grab and what I remember as a 3 on 2 in not masses of space outside. Seemed a Tigers tactic to go for the intercept in the first half but I think Connacht benefited more from that then we did.

We were exceptionally lucky with the forward pass from Kelly to Scott as you say. I think TMO couldn't go back that far as we ended up doing a few phases in your 22 thereafter.

Very much looking forward to the second leg. Best of luck in your games until then.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:05 am If we look at the why we came close to losing the match, the issue as the selection of the backs.

Were both Potter and Nandolo both injured? Strange to play your best full back on the wing and start with your 2 fly halfs on the pitch. Let’s not sugar the pill, Burns had a howler. Following his injury should he not have been brought on from the bench rather than starting in a European cup match? If both Potter and Nandolo were injured, should Ford not have started, with Hegarty at full back and Burns brought on to replace Ford or Hegarty to get him up to pace?

Where was the on field leadership? Who should have been talking to Burns when it seemed he was trying to force things?
I suspect between Youngs, Burns and Scott Borthwick would expect there to be enough leaders in the backline with the 9 and 10 having played together a fair bit previously. When it didn't work then Borthwick changed it early in the second half which helped us win the game.

I don't particularly like Steward on the wing but I could see the logic. Try and shutdown Carty's excellent kicking and also give the flyhalf crossfield kick options both sides against a team that defends quite narrow, not that we used the tactic.

Borthwick likes to rotate the players and use the squad, always has and I suspect always will do. Nadolo getting a couple of weeks off makes a lot of sense, Saumaki needs game time and Nems isn't one you can play every week if you want him to remain fit, those hamstrings take a lot of strain.

There is also the issue of Covid close contacts, we don't know if some players weren't selected on a precautionary basis.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:05 am Let’s not sugar the pill, Burns had a howler. Following his injury should he not have been brought on from the bench rather than starting in a European cup match? If both Potter and Nandolo were injured, should Ford not have started, with Hegarty at full back and Burns brought on to replace Ford or Hegarty to get him up to pace?
I think Ford is still officially part of the EPS (due to his other appearances) so even though not in the AI squad he still needed the mandated rest weekends. (One was our bye the other was this weekend)
It's clear priority is given to the league atm, given the rest weekends for all our EPS guys have all been in the European games.

Personally if coming back from injury I always prefer them to start. If they're on the bench they are essentially covering any injury too and may be on inside the first minute with 79. Start a player and you can bring them off as required with your bench.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Don't know if anyone else saw the social media post from Freddie Burns last week? He's just had the all clear from a lump in a very delicate male area! Maybe just another reason he wasn't at his best?
Baggy Trousers

Post by Baggy Trousers »

I believe Freddie hadn't played in 6 weeks, hard to get instantly up to speed, especially against a team like Connacht who try to play fast and pretty loose. It may not have been noticed, but amongst the worse aspects of his game, Freddie made a very important tap tackle, without which Tigers would have been in deeper trouble at half-time. I thought Connacht were very good value for the LBP but Tigers got the job done, the yellow card period being decisive.

Very enjoyable game for the "almost neutral", I have a soft spot for both clubs, albeit Connacht devastated my club Ulster not long ago and I'm pleased that Leicester appears to be doing a decent impression of a proper Leicester team at last. It's been a while.

Must be a bit disconcerting to see Ford and Genge walking when the club appears to be doing well.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

But, Baggy, both players are said to be taking a pay cut.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

I don't believe 'cupiditas' is at the heart of Ford and Genge leaving.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

strawclearer wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:40 am I don't believe 'cupiditas' is at the heart of Ford and Genge leaving.
The consequence of this is people looking for a more credible reason for two of our main ‘stars’ announcing they are off in such quick succession. Sad reflection on many (me included to some extent) that ‘family reasons’ isn’t a good enough reason on its own.

I think fundamentally it stings when two favourites decide to leave when we are having a good season for the first time for years.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

For me, Connacht are a decent side - we were never going to simply trample all over them. Let's keep expectations realistic, we won without being at our best, and it is the win that counts.
After the week and the publicity that Leicester have had (again) appreciate the fact that we have come through it and again showed character and resilience within the squad and team - traits that are a decent response to some 'experts' looking for underlying reasons for 'star' departures.
Let individuals who don't want to be here go to where ever they feel best suited, my only concern is The Club and team winning. The names on the team sheet make no odds - the shirt that they wear and the result does.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

:smt032 If we wish to bring in the full force of mediaeval condemnation how about: "Stipendium Peccati Mors Est" but it seems a bit OTT for two players who have simply decided not to renew their contracts (and given us plenty of time to identify replacements).
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Jacko27 wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:54 pm :smt032 If we wish to bring in the full force of mediaeval condemnation how about: "Stipendium Peccati Mors Est" but it seems a bit OTT for two players who have simply decided not to renew their contracts (and given us plenty of time to identify replacements).
If either were going to Salarecens then we could apply that!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

A little snippet from the article in the Telegraph:
'Jasper Wiese, sporting a new shaved-head haircut which ups his scariness rating by a good five points' :smt044 :smt044
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

fentiger wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:53 pm A little snippet from the article in the Telegraph:
'Jasper Wiese, sporting a new shaved-head haircut which ups his scariness rating by a good five points' :smt044 :smt044
.. . particularly as that shaved-head was bloodstained before half time!