Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Pollard Q&A

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:18 pm
Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:15 pm Handré Pollard hasn’t been picked for Montpellier for a while now, and I don’t know why. Maybe carrying an injury?
Mentioned in the Irish v Italy commentary that he had been playing at 12
Think he's primarily been played there since he announced he was leaving.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm HP: The challenge of trying to outsmart your opponents with a game plan and discipline is what excites me, because that’s the way I was brought up with my rugby in Pretoria and South Africa.

Super Rugby is a fast paced, open style of rugby and France was on another level with space and playing what you see, which is fine, but I wasn’t brought up that way; I played for the Bulls and Springboks, where it is quite structured and about out-smarting your opponent in terms of tactics and not just one guys brilliance.

Interesting thoughts IMO
So, Pollard comes for more structure, Henry left because there was too much. A simplification, but consistent.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

loretta wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:27 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 pm HP: The challenge of trying to outsmart your opponents with a game plan and discipline is what excites me, because that’s the way I was brought up with my rugby in Pretoria and South Africa.

Super Rugby is a fast paced, open style of rugby and France was on another level with space and playing what you see, which is fine, but I wasn’t brought up that way; I played for the Bulls and Springboks, where it is quite structured and about out-smarting your opponent in terms of tactics and not just one guys brilliance.

Interesting thoughts IMO
So, Pollard comes for more structure, Henry left because there was too much. A simplification, but consistent.
That's how it is under Borthwick, and we seem much better off for it. It's good to see that we are signing players who are right for the way we play rugby.

I think what Henry perhaps fails to see is that it's the structured game at 10 that allows you to play the fun stuff. Marcus Smith is in the England 10 jersey now because he's added the ability to play with structure and control the game - if Henry could learn that and be more consistent he might be a very good player.