Low tackles and small balls?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Low tackles and small balls?

Post by Nofrontteeth »

I see that BBC Sport are reporting the possibility of more rule/law changes for greater equality.
Who says size doesn't matter?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Low tackles and small balls?

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Might consider touch rugby where they tackle each other with Ostrich feathers..............................good idea to have size/weight criteria for U 18's but adults can find their own comfort level. We had a very good player who only wanted to play "social" rugby and declined to play in the higher teams, he was happy in the fifth team.
To make the game safer is not something that is going to be achieved easily, I would actually like the game to go back to having players of different sizes performing different tasks, instead of huge gym monkeys trying to smash their way through in every position, yes we do have the occasional fly half under 2 ton, but not many others.
Boxing has weight categories, not sure you could transfer that to rugby though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Low tackle and small balls, :smt005
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

I have to admit I wish they would stop tinkering with the game tbh! I play grassroots rugby and from what I can see there is nothing wrong the game. If I was to play a game with no line outs or scrummaging which is to be purported as a scrum half even I wouldn’t want to play
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

There is a lot of merit in the proposals, but also a lot of guff. Apart from the tackle height, most issues can be solved by reverting to proper rucks and implementing the Laws ruthlessly.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:31 pm Might consider touch rugby where they tackle each other with Ostrich feathers..............................good idea to have size/weight criteria for U 18's but adults can find their own comfort level. We had a very good player who only wanted to play "social" rugby and declined to play in the higher teams, he was happy in the fifth team.
To make the game safer is not something that is going to be achieved easily, I would actually like the game to go back to having players of different sizes performing different tasks, instead of huge gym monkeys trying to smash their way through in every position, yes we do have the occasional fly half under 2 ton, but not many others.
Boxing has weight categories, not sure you could transfer that to rugby though.
I can see how difficult a local club could find itself in if they had to select a team of 23? all of same size, where are all of these players? Are all very tall/bi boys going to be able to play in all of the 15 positions?

How does it work in NZ?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I do wonder if it is possible to have a max weight of a XV and max weight of a bench? Then you can have a few monsters in the team in positions that require it but allows a mix of sizes in a team
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.