Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps are not welcome in Coventry

Post by Big Dai »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:19 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:18 pm ........And by the way, wandering round having to be nice to people is why I hate Christmas! Bah Humbug!
I'd much rather someone say what they think to my face then stab me in the back
Indeed James!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 pm As I've said before In the world of post match Remy powered absolute snobbery......
Big Dai, Big Dai's Dad and Posh Richard propose the following :-

Proper clubs.
Leicester, Saints, Quins, Exeter,

Nearly proper clubs (Carpet Baggers)
Gloucester, Worcester. Newcastle

Vagabond trash.
Wasps, Sarries, London Irish, Bristol, Sale

Trash.
Bath,

Apologies for any offence caused. Its not a hatred. More of a pecking order.
Big Dai....love that....who is Posh Richard ny the way !?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I was at the Coventry v Notts game a few weeks ago.had a chat with a decent bloke....Cov and Cov City fan...hates Wasps with a passion. Really laying into them. Seems he’s not alone.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:48 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:16 pm As I've said before In the world of post match Remy powered absolute snobbery......
Big Dai, Big Dai's Dad and Posh Richard propose the following :-

Proper clubs.
Leicester, Saints, Quins, Exeter,

Nearly proper clubs (Carpet Baggers)
Gloucester, Worcester. Newcastle

Vagabond trash.
Wasps, Sarries, London Irish, Bristol, Sale

Trash.
Bath,

Apologies for any offence caused. Its not a hatred. More of a pecking order.
Big Dai....love that....who is Posh Richard ny the way !?
Posh Richard is a dear friend and fellow ex boffin. Oxford educated, cracking BBC accent, 2nd row and Gloucester fan.

We took to watching rugby in virtual company during lockdown....the habit continues.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
glenn

Post by glenn »

My dislike of sarries is the following: salarycap cheats and the absolute tw*tish behaviour each time they win a scrum or turn over
Wasps, constant scrum cheating in the early 2000s and of course dayglow and his "wasps are the best" routine

Disliked bath in the late 80s early 90s because we seemed to be bested by them always and also wasps with the smug g*t rob andrew. I love the game and encourage the opposition,so.long as they stick tothe rules.

I also understand the hatred we get, because of our winning ways in the 2000s, the hand of back and our dominance of past England sides amoung others!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Saracens, salary cheats, over now.
Harlequins, years of not making visiting fans welcome at their ground until London Irish showed them how to do it. Good place to visit these days.
Gloucester, proper club, passionate knowledgeable fans although some do overstep the mark.
London Irish, used to be the best ever place to visit but they had to move, didn't like the Majeski but on First visit Brentford seems an improvement.
Bristol, loved going to the Memorial Grouut . Ashton Gate O.K. but I do wonder how the money will stand up if Bristol City get into the Premiership and need a hundred million or so for new players.
Exeter, love where they have come from and what they are building, but very pricey.
Newcastle, good place to visit, like them as a club.
Saints, proper club, decent ground, hate them but would hate to be without them.
Worcester, Great place to visit, friendly fans that deserve to watch a better team.
Bath, great city to visit, rubbish ground, if relegation were an issue this season they would be concerned about being allowed back.
Sale, some fans can be quite unpleasant, poor facilities for such a modern ground but getting better
Wasps, Nomadic parasites that have moved into our area to leach off the rugby support generated by ourselves, Saint, Coventry and Worcester. Nothing against their fans especially the ones that have supported them for years at various venues despite havig been badly treated by the club.

In truth as Big Dai says whatever our opinion we do need opposition and we have to accept them warts and all but regardless of any previous comment I would happily ban any club with a plastic pitch, they just aint right.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Agree with much of John's post above.

Trying to get back on track a bit;
Playing on the Friday night was just weird. There was no obvious reason to do it, and if you are trying to build a Friday night crowd a cold November isn't really the time for it. Out of town stadiums like CBS Arena (Ricoh in old money) struggle on week nights as it's not the case of "have a beer at the rugby and walk into town" like it is at Leicester, Bath, Gloucester etc. so that crowd doesn't compensate for the people who genuinely cannot get their on the Friday evening.

They really over did the free tickets, loath as I am to agree with Mark Evans he was right on that point. If you think your product isn't worth paying for why will anyone else? Some season tickets linked to Schools is often fine, Tigers did that at my school when I was younger, even when we were selling out regularly, but you can't just hand free tickets out to a line of people waiting to pay like Bobby Bridge reports in his article. That's crazy and utterly self defeating. Not only do you lose out on the revenue you lose out on building up a marketing database for future sales too.

The move was wrong, and it was done very badly. I worry for Wasps that Richardson might see a future for the Arena without Wasps at it, the rest of the group is much closer to running profitably. The bond is to be re-financed this May. Their accounts make crystal clear this is an insolvency event if not re-financed on time successfully. Even if it is re-financed if he can pull his £18m loan out, or part of it, he may well do. Alternatively the accounts also show he no longer puts any money in and is drawing c.4.5% interest on his loan each year, it is tied to the base rate so an increase in interest rates would also be interesting for them. He may well get his lending down to c.£5m and just view the interest as a decent investment.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:55 am Saracens, salary cheats, over now.
Harlequins, years of not making visiting fans welcome at their ground until London Irish showed them how to do it. Good place to visit these days.
Gloucester, proper club, passionate knowledgeable fans although some do overstep the mark.
London Irish, used to be the best ever place to visit but they had to move, didn't like the Majeski but on First visit Brentford seems an improvement.
Bristol, loved going to the Memorial Grouut . Ashton Gate O.K. but I do wonder how the money will stand up if Bristol City get into the Premiership and need a hundred million or so for new players.
Exeter, love where they have come from and what they are building, but very pricey.
Saints, proper club, decent ground, hate them but would hate to be without them.
Worcester, Great place to visit, friendly fans that deserve to watch a better team.
Bath, great city to visit, rubbish ground, if relegation were an issue this season they would be concerned about being allowed back.
Sale, some fans can be quite unpleasant, poor facilities for such a modern ground but getting better
Wasps, Nomadic parasites that have moved into our area to leach off the rugby support generated by ourselves, Saint, Coventry and Worcester. Nothing against their fans especially the ones that have supported them for years at various venues despite havig been badly treated by the club.

In truth as Big Dai says whatever our opinion we do need opposition and we have to accept them warts and all but regardless of any previous comment I would happily ban any club with a plastic pitch, they just aint right.
:smt023 :smt038 :smt052
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

LE18 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:23 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:55 am Saracens, salary cheats, over now.

:smt023 :smt038 :smt052
Great post JTG
Soggypitch
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

John Bristol's budget wouldn't be affected in the slightest but a Bristol City promotion, if anything the owner would have more to spend
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Good post JG. Agree big time about Wuss. Always (bar one boor who other fans told to take a hike) the most welcoming place, although the days of general entry to bars were over last time, and I do miss the hot tub on the flat roof. The pitch is now a negative TBH.
Glaws not my favourite as fans are just a little too in your face at times. Mrs G refuses to go there. She also was not keen on Exeter despite the less-than 2 minute walk from my siblings houses by the suspension bridge. Might have been the bloke trying to feel her bum (she didn't tell me till later as she thought I'd get banned for decking him). :smt005
We need each other (though I could easily manage without Saracens); rugby has always been a most convivial sport where fans appreciate each other (I'll exclude Bonymaen Rugby from that, though, from experience). :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Loathing Stains is like City and Forest were.

Wasps moving to Coventry was bizarre.

Already the city of Coventry has a well established club that once provided England players like Duckham.
Perhaps wisely they didn't seen to chase promotion to the Premiership when things turned professional. Wasps have no ties with Coventry and perhaps resentment comes from undermining the existing rugby team and taking over the Ricoh from the soccer team.

Bath have always been overrated throughout the professional era. Over represented at England level relative to many clubs.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I don’t loath any team. I tend to judge on the friendliness of the fans so I quite like Bath, Saints, Worcester and Newcastle but not struck on Gloucester, Sale or Wasps.
A2O
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I have a Coventry RFC supporting friend who lives in Leicester, he was outraged when Wasps moved their grotty nest to the City and that view has not improved, Cov has its place in the midlands rugby family, Wasps should have stayed in London where the majority of their true fans (and there are still some) are from. Plenty of good pizza places as well
TiltonTiger

Post by TiltonTiger »

I generally hate every team we play in the week before and the week after we play them and hold a burning resentment against them when I feel we have been wronged (c/f Bristol June 2021) a little longer. But I love the game enough to recognise that this excessive partisanship is not a good look on anybody. And my time is better spent cheering on the Tigers than sweating about the other teams.

I try to take pity on these other teams that they are not as well run or are as historically successful as my own team.

And I also know that for most other GP teams’ fans that hold these grudges we are probably second only to Saracens in their opinions. So why worry about it?

Hey ho.