Where will we finish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: Where will we finish

Post by westwinds31 »

Ian Cant wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:54 pm Take nothing for granted: Quins v Irish proved that: Gloucester has it form too and Saints just played the wrong game against us. Wasps will come very strong one they get some players back. Then there’s Chiefs and Sarries: getting the wins again and Sarries only loss was to us!
When did Tigers achieve most titles when it was with an attitude;” One game at a time.”
We, as a team are still inexperienced in terms of handling the pressure of being at the top and now no one will underestimate us!
Let’s get it right, Gloucester are not a threat. To the Top 6 maybe but they beat an injury ravaged Wasps side, who nearly come back to beat them at the end. Yes they’re improved but still too inconsistent for me.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

This was discussed on a different thread but I’ll post it on here as it’s relevant to some of the questions asked above:

2020/21 5th place (57) 4th place (71) 3rd place (74) 2nd place (82) 1st place (85) *COVID points included
2019/20 5th place (64) 4th place (67) 3rd place (69) 2nd place (71) 1st place (74)
2018/19 5th place (56) 4th place (56) 3rd place (68) 2nd place (78) 1st place (86)
2017/18 5th place (63) 4th place (63) 3rd place (71) 2nd place (77) 1st place (85)
2016/17 5th place (59) 4th place (66) 3rd place (77) 2nd place (84) 1st place (84)
2015/16 5th place (60) 4th place (65) 3rd place (72) 2nd place (74) 1st place (80)

So 4th place points over last few years has been 71, 67, 56, 63, 66, 65 = average 65 to make top 4 so technically we are half way there already!

And 2nd place is 82, 71, 78, 77, 84, 74 so an average of 78 points

Don't forget though that this season will have 26 rounds (technically 24 rounds with rest weeks) instead of 22 with an extra 10 points available.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Delighted with what we have achieved thus far.At the start of the season I wanted nothing more than improvement.My feet are staying on the ground , I have no expectations merely hope that we will continue to improve.I remember where we have been to and come from in the last few seasons.
Appreciate the hard work of the players and staff and hope it continues to bear fruit.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree that we don’t want to get ahead of ourselves but most of us would be disappointed after the start that we have had if we did not make top 4.
A2O
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

First or second is my answer. Saracens will finish in the top two for me and it’s now more a case of us ensuring a top two birth than just finishing top four. Our squad is better overall than any of the other 11 teams not mentioned and we’ve shown a ruthlessness a few times already this season that we’ve not seen for years. Under Borthwick there’s no chance the players lose their focus and I see anything less than top four now as an absolute disaster.

An unlucky defeat at Twickenham in the final to Saracens awaits us.
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Let's go for "we'll be higher than last season " 😉
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

We still have to go through 6 nations, where we may lose more to England than in the Autumn.

We will have some big teams to face away in the second half of the Season … Sarries, Sharks and Quins.

So far we have been comparatively unscathed by injury versus other Seasons and other teams this year. This may be because we mange training and rehab better than we did or others do or Maybe we have just have been lucky! If the latter is the case that luck may run out.

All of the above tells me we are a long way to go to play offs or home semis!
However 18 months when I saw the young talent we had coming through I said to many that I thought it would take 5 years to be back to the top. I would now like to think I was being a tad over cautious.. what I had not accounted for was the impact of one Mr. Stephen Borthwick!!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

mightymouse wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:25 am We still have to go through 6 nations, where we may lose more to England than in the Autumn.

Can still see us fielding a 6N side of Van Wyk Montoya Cole Green Snyman Liebenberg Van Staden Wiese JvP Ford Nadolo Porter Moroni Potter Burns/Murimurivalu as a worst case if we lose Genge, Dolly, Wells, Martin,Youngs, Kelly, Steward to England and Scott to Scotland. Don't think we will lose that many and that is a pretty formidable side so I am not concerned about the 6N period personally. With the likes of Leatigaga, Clare, Henderson, Reffell, Brink, Burns, Saumaki adding some decent other options.

We will have some big teams to face away in the second half of the Season … Sarries, Sharks and Quins.

We have already faced and beaten 2 of those sides - yes they were both under full strength but so were we. We will be playing Sarries away during the 6N period and despite the long list above I think we will fare better with potential absentees than them. Sale and Quins away will be tricky though for sure.

So far we have been comparatively unscathed by injury versus other Seasons and other teams this year. This may be because we mange training and rehab better than we did or others do or Maybe we have just have been lucky! If the latter is the case that luck may run out.

We have lost Liebenberg, Brink, Clare, Burns, Henderson, Taute, Hegarty (HIA) and Van Staden and Moroni (during AI period) which is a decent amount of absentees given the season is only 9 rounds in. No it's not as bad as most clubs and it does seem to be better than previous seasons you're right but I certainly don't think we've been unscathed - I just think our squad depth is far better and players are all stepping up and performing extremely well.

All of the above tells me we are a long way to go to play offs or home semis!

We have won 8 out of 8, 10 out of 10 in all competitions and are on an 11 game unbeaten run. To say we are a long way off making the playoffs or home semi seems fairly harsh.. if you mean on points then yes, we only have 37 points and a home semi would be in the region of 78 points but we have another 16 matches to get those 51 points which is an average of 3.19 points per game (we are currently sat on 4.63 points per game).. personally I am a little more optimistic but each to their own
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Hate to be the pessimist, but if the covid news is to be believed and Omicron hits hard our best season in I don’t know how long could all fall apart amidst lockdowns, restrictions and cancellations!

Merry Christmas folks!

🤣🤣🍷
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Big Dai wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:38 pm Hate to be the pessimist, but if the covid news is to be believed and Omicron hits hard our best season in I don’t know how long could all fall apart amidst lockdowns, restrictions and cancellations!

Merry Christmas folks!

🤣🤣🍷
Your pessimism is sadly understandable….from what I see of top level data greater disruption is likely to come in January through to March. Hopefully not as damaging as the 19-20 season, and also hope that we’re in a better place by the play-off period (with Tigers involved!).

Premiership probably better-placed than the European tournaments…travel restrictions could well cause a complete meltdown with these.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Monye said on the tv at the week-end that 15 wins is usually enough to get into the top four. We already have 9 wins so another 6 to go. Another 9 wins from the remaining 15 games and we should make top 2 and a home semi-final.
A2O