Nigel Starmer-Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jacko27

Nigel Starmer-Smith

Post by Jacko27 »

Maybe others have read this story before but it was quite a shock to me this morning to see and read about Nigel Starmer-Smith. Older posters will remember him as a good England scrum half in the '70s and subsequently a decent commentator back in the time when the BBC covered rugby. His son has spoken quite movingly about how his father's life has been hollowed out by serious dementia. Nigel's illness may or may not be rugby-related but it is a reminder that all sports-related concussion has to be taken much more seriously than we did in the 70s and 80s.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Re: Nigel Starmer-Smith

Post by Noggs »

Remember him well. Where did you see the story?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JayC2
Tiger Cub

Post by JayC2 »

It's on BBC Sport website
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

I vaguely remember being at one of the many finals we played in when there was a tribute to him. Possibly his last commentary? His picture and some video were put up on the big screen and we all applauded.

So sad to see him as a shadow of the great man he was.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Rugby Special.. on a Monday night ( then it changed days several times just to confuse everyone) ins the days it was the only Union you could see on TV other than the annual outings of 5 nations.
Met him once in the old Tigers bar (clubhouse end) I think he was presenting Rugby Special that day from WR .. he looked a bit shocked that anyone recognised him and wanted to chat.
Sad business.. ghastly disease .. watched my mother waste away with it for over 20 years!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Think of Nigel Starmer-Smith more as a TV presenter and commentator , forgot he was an international Scrum Half also.For me Monday nights on BBC 2 were staple viewing - the intro's and epilogues from empty stadium terraces have lived longer in the memory than other more recent events.'Rugby special' always aired just before repeats of Monty Python,Spike Milligan's 'Q' series
or the 'Innes Book of Records'and was the BBcCs Rugby equivalent of Footballs Match of the Day.Things seemed a whole lot better then,
Now ,for those old enough to remember him and Itoo came across him at Welford Road- this is a sad and sobering story.Wish him and his family all the best.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....