Re-Branding a Possibility For Exeter?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Re-Branding a Possibility For Exeter?

Post by mol2 »

The modern concept of Celt is perhaps not entirely the same as the reality of the true Celts. Like many versions of history the historians have a different take to the publics.

Being on the edge of Europe with wave after wave of settlers Britain can probably claim to have a good variety of ethnic and cultural heritages they can argue to be their own. However native Americans seems not to be one. The cowboys would no doubt be fine as our descendants.
ashleytiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ashleytiger »

"The Dumnonii were probably a group of smaller tribes that lived across the large area of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. The people lived in small farmsteads, usually surrounded by large walls, however, there were also local differences in the types of settlements and other aspects of life between different parts of Devon and Cornwall. There is also evidence for contacts and trade with Brittany with whom they shared similar styles of highly decorated pottery. Cornwall was one of the few parts of Britain where the dead were buried at this time.

The Dumnonii appear to have accepted the Roman conquest without resistance and as a result few garrison forts were placed in their territory, although this area never fully adopted Roman ways of life.

Life styles and types of settlements remained little changed from the Iron Age through the Roman period. The Romans granted them civitas status and the town of Exeter (Isca Dumnoniorum) was their administrative centre."

"The Dumnonii appear to have accepted the Roman conquest without resistance"

Oh dear, hardly a name that will resonate with drum beating, warlike chanting Exeter fans :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Sandy Park Strollers
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Why can't they remain as the Chiefs but just remove all the native American branding?

"Chiefs" is not a specific word for native Americans, it is only coupled with the branding that has caused offence.

I thought that I read this was the plan, but I could be mistaken!
Soggypitch
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Soggypitch wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:46 pm Why can't they remain as the Chiefs but just remove all the native American branding?

"Chiefs" is not a specific word for native Americans, it is only coupled with the branding that has caused offence.

I thought that I read this was the plan, but I could be mistaken!
That's always been my view on the issue, the use of "Chief" as a form of address is supposedly a local thing, like "me-duck" & no doubt more across the country, its the complete lack of connection between this form of greeting & North American Indians that's the problem, the fact that Exeter are too wooden headed up till now to get this is woeful.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:44 am Sandy Park Strollers
Jamtops?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Since the word "chief" comes from the French word "chef", perhaps they could stay as Exeter Chiefs, but wear traditional French chef hats instead...
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Should just rename themselves Millwall,no one likes them. 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

When I began playing Wigston Old Boys 5ths were called the Vikings, which was ok but those horned helmets were a bit dangerous in a scrum............................................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Why are Saracens and the fez-heads getting a free ride?
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

The topic of offending thy neighbour is endless.
Saracens I was told were not solely Turks but were those that followed Muhammad (Muslim).
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:35 pm The topic of offending thy neighbour is endless.
Saracens I was told were not solely Turks but were those that followed Muhammad (Muslim).
Which is why it's really bizarre that they wear crusader costumes :smt017
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

They only started doing it in the late 90s i believe,maybe its a tribute to Tommy Cooper. Isn't the silly fingers thing from his spoon jar jar sketch? Maybe I'm way off. There are some who say that wasn't even a Fez but a hat linked to The Shriners,an American Masonic order
Last edited by Scott1 on Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

BengalTiger wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:57 pm Why are Saracens and the fez-heads getting a free ride?
I suspect because the wearing of the Fez isn't considered sacred by an oppressed minority? I won't claim to be an expert though so I may be wrong on that.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.