Eligibility rules to change

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Eligibility rules to change

Post by Old Hob »

The rules regarding eligibility for international recognition are to change from January.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59406025

A revolutionary change to rugby union's international eligibility rules has been approved by World Rugby.
It means from January 2022 a player will now be able to represent another country after a stand-down period of three years.
A player can move to a nation of their, their parents' or grandparents' birth, but can only switch allegiance once.
In a surprise move, the ruling was passed on Wednesday by more than 75% of the World Rugby council votes.
The governing body say the new process will "benefit players and the global competitiveness of rugby".
World Rugby chairman Bill Beaumont added: "We have listened to our membership and players and sought to update the regulation recognising the modern professional rugby environment without compromising the integrity of the international game."

The move has also been backed by the global players' union, who say the decision is the culmination of years of work with their members.

From 1 January 2022, any player who meets the criteria can apply immediately for a transfer, meaning there is a possibility that in the 2022 Six Nations a player may represent the second Six Nations side of their career.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Eligibility rules to change

Post by RagingBull »

Could mean if Heyes and Dolly are not capped in the next 3 years they could switch.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:44 pm Could mean if Heyes and Dolly are not capped in the next 3 years they could switch.
Kelly as well. I fully expect both Kelly and Heyes to get games in the intervening 3 years.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The theory is that players will go back to the pacific nations. Why this should happen is not mentioned
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Agree it appears more to be directed at Pacific Island nations but it should also stop teams picking player just so they are not used by other nations.

Players for example like Fekitoa, Piatau can now play for Tonga in the Autumn but still doesn’t change the fact that they are paid peanuts for doing so. Will hopefully make Pacific Island nations much stronger.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Could have ramifications for players like Holmes. Those given a cap to deny anyone else a go could find they have other options down the line.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Apparently Lozowski will be eligible to play for Italy, due to a grand parent.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ads wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:55 pm Apparently Lozowski will be eligible to play for Italy, due to a grand parent.
He will be and could very well be a regular starter for Italy in which case. That would make him a bit less appealing as a Ford replacement as he’d be away for the AI and the 6N. Pollard in pole position I’d say
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Depends on how you word the contract.

Sign for us and in doing so you agree not to play internationally.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I'm not sure that would be legal. Restraint of trade? Plus would anyone else have such a deal?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm I'm not sure that would be legal. Restraint of trade? Plus would anyone else have such a deal?
I also think one of the biggest accolades for a professional player is representing your country so why would anyone want to stop one of their players achieving this. Borthwick has always been really supportive of players playing at international level so there’s no way I could see such a clause being suggested
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

Where does the definition 'English Qualified' stand in light of this, and the proposed future team structures?
Being qualified and being capped are totally different.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:58 pm I'm not sure that would be legal. Restraint of trade? Plus would anyone else have such a deal?
Not sure it would be a restraint of trade if you are under contract, that contract can specify you only work for your employer. In reality the contract could have substantial bonuses for being available for selection during the international windows, so more golden handcuffs than restraining ones!
Bonus or playing for a minor rugby nation you only have a tenuous link with.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Nofrontteeth wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:12 pm Where does the definition 'English Qualified' stand in light of this, and the proposed future team structures?
Being qualified and being capped are totally different.
This is a good point. Law of unintended consequences?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:34 pm
I also think one of the biggest accolades for a professional player is representing your country so why would anyone want to stop one of their players achieving this. Borthwick has always been really supportive of players playing at international level so there’s no way I could see such a clause being suggested
Agreed. I couldn't find an elegant way to put it. Thanks.