Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm Ford, Youngs, Steward and Kelly were outstanding. Nadolo had a poor game by his standards and Wiese was pretty quiet. Van Staden was a tackling machine once again and the subs had great impact, in particular Chessum. We deserved the win and although it wasn’t pretty it was gritty and dogged defense that got us there.

So here’s a question.. we get a penalty on the halfway with less than a minute to go. We could kick for goal, running the clock into the red and either win it if the kick goes over or it’s FT if it goes dead. Only risk is it falling short or hitting the post. Either way we risk handing Quins another chance by going to touch and they steal the lineout then make it back to our 10m line before we finally get the ball back.. risky and could have cost us!

So my question is, why didn’t we kick for posts? Surely Ford has the distance and the likelihood of hitting the post is pretty slim.. seems like a poor call that could have cost us
I’m certain it was because of the distance.
Distance wouldn’t have been an issue for Freddie
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Two good teams going at it - ferocious defence across the park and we nudged it basically.

Not a lot in it and lots of handling errors meant it was a scrappy game that may have suited us more than Quins
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Greenwhiteandred wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:33 pm
anz3001 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:29 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm Ford, Youngs, Steward and Kelly were outstanding. Nadolo had a poor game by his standards and Wiese was pretty quiet. Van Staden was a tackling machine once again and the subs had great impact, in particular Chessum. We deserved the win and although it wasn’t pretty it was gritty and dogged defense that got us there.

So here’s a question.. we get a penalty on the halfway with less than a minute to go. We could kick for goal, running the clock into the red and either win it if the kick goes over or it’s FT if it goes dead. Only risk is it falling short or hitting the post. Either way we risk handing Quins another chance by going to touch and they steal the lineout then make it back to our 10m line before we finally get the ball back.. risky and could have cost us!

So my question is, why didn’t we kick for posts? Surely Ford has the distance and the likelihood of hitting the post is pretty slim.. seems like a poor call that could have cost us
I’m certain it was because of the distance.
Distance wouldn’t have been an issue for Freddie
Exactly.. and he doesn’t have to score it just bang it over the dead ball line! And not hit the post! So just give it all you’ve got and don’t be too accurate :smt002
Last edited by OakhamTiger32 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Raimond
Tiger Cub

Post by Raimond »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm

Wide on halfway, needing to put an extra 10 on it just in case to put it dead- "Surely Ford has the distance"......
TigerReggie

Post by TigerReggie »

Does he even need to aim at the posts? If he kicks it into the crumbie....?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerReggie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:42 pm Does he even need to aim at the posts? If he kicks it into the crumbie....?
I was wondering about this! I’m not suggesting we should have done this as it’s clearly not in the spirit of the game however.. :smt017

Give the kick to Ellis.. wait 50 seconds then boot it into touch :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

TigerReggie wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:42 pm Does he even need to aim at the posts? If he kicks it into the crumbie....?
Law says, I believe, the kicker has to make “a genuine attempt at goal”
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:51 pm
Law says, I believe, the kicker has to make “a genuine attempt at goal”
He could genuinely shank it into the crumbie of course.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Neither side quite on their attacking A game, I thought….or maybe this was simply down to two outstanding defensive performances. Was impressed with Quinn’s, actually - there’s a lot more to them than an exhibition running game. They completely nullified our driving maul*, which I don’t think anyone else has managed this season.

*no doubt someone will pop up to say that this was only because the officials let them get away with illegal tactics….but it looked fine to me. I thought Tempest had a pretty good game from where I was watching.
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Callum Green MoM for me - great game. Yes
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tell you what 8 starters today hadn't started a game in at least a month.
Potter, Nadolo, Ford, Genge, Cole, Wells, Hanro, Van Staden.
Wiese hadn't had a start since Saints but played 30 mins for SA.

Team looked rusty but still won.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Youngs played well too.
As did the rest of the backs.
Ford kicked out of hand really well.

Too much kicking straight to Green who is a top flight full back. Why?

The pack didn't seem to function. Rolling maul predictable and easily nullified by Quins. The front row subs left too late. Montoya looked sluggish yet Dolly wasn't brought on.

3 weeks off and a few too many changes perhaps?

An off day against the champions and we still won so not too shabby. Who was skipper after Genge went off?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Next 3 premiership matches are:

Bristol (A), Newcastle (H) and Wasps (A).. fancy our chances with all of those. No easy games but all winnable
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

mol2 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:21 pm Youngs played well too.
As did the rest of the backs.
Ford kicked out of hand really well.

Too much kicking straight to Green who is a top flight full back. Why?

The pack didn't seem to function. Rolling maul predictable and easily nullified by Quins. The front row subs left too late. Montoya looked sluggish yet Dolly wasn't brought on.

3 weeks off and a few too many changes perhaps?

An off day against the champions and we still won so not too shabby. Who was skipper after Genge went off?
Quins didn't get any return on it though I thought and in the end Green started to panic more imo
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

We kicked to Green in a specific way to get him man and ball, worked more times than not 👍