Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Post by RichieB »

Chapeau to Kelly for an outstanding overall performance today - I wondered how he would cope today and thought he might get targeted but he was immense. YBY also excellent. Plenty of areas to work on - ball retention being a main one.

Time to breathe now ……
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

All the talk about Quins.
I mean Tigers coming off basically a 3/4 week break.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Now let's look at all the missed opportunities for quins....

Never mind lads. I'll give you some credit even if Lol and Hugo won't! 🤣🤣
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Sounds like it was tough out there, and not playing our best. A win is a win, is a win, is a win, though. :smt023
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:03 pm Now let's look at all the missed opportunities for quins....

Never mind lads. I'll give you some credit even if Lol and Hugo won't! 🤣🤣
OK.....that's a bit better.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Kelly isn't the most flash player but England could do worse than him, just glues everything together in attack and defence
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:09 pm Kelly isn't the most flash player but England could do worse than him, just glues everything together in attack and defence
+1
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I thought Kelly was excellent, making some really key contributions. Well done Kelly and well done Tigers
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Decent win against a very good side. Aside from the obvious attacking threat from Quins, they’re very street wise, blocking, holding, some of their defensive maul tactics were questionable, Care constantly in Tempest’s ear and got away with murder, especially Marler !! There’s different ways to win a game and that was another one. On we go. Ben Youngs outstanding today I really didn’t want him to come off.

Ball like a bar of soap I suspect hence the load of knocks ons.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Excellent result.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ford, Youngs, Steward and Kelly were outstanding. Nadolo had a poor game by his standards and Wiese was pretty quiet. Van Staden was a tackling machine once again and the subs had great impact, in particular Chessum. We deserved the win and although it wasn’t pretty it was gritty and dogged defense that got us there.

So here’s a question.. we get a penalty on the halfway with less than a minute to go. We could kick for goal, running the clock into the red and either win it if the kick goes over or it’s FT if it goes dead. Only risk is it falling short or hitting the post. Either way we risk handing Quins another chance by going to touch and they steal the lineout then make it back to our 10m line before we finally get the ball back.. risky and could have cost us!

So my question is, why didn’t we kick for posts? Surely Ford has the distance and the likelihood of hitting the post is pretty slim.. seems like a poor call that could have cost us
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Massive win. No complaints from me. Was never going to be an easy game against the champions in difficult conditions. Love the character the team is showing these days.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm Ford, Youngs, Steward and Kelly were outstanding. Nadolo had a poor game by his standards and Wiese was pretty quiet. Van Staden was a tackling machine once again and the subs had great impact, in particular Chessum. We deserved the win and although it wasn’t pretty it was gritty and dogged defense that got us there.

So here’s a question.. we get a penalty on the halfway with less than a minute to go. We could kick for goal, running the clock into the red and either win it if the kick goes over or it’s FT if it goes dead. Only risk is it falling short or hitting the post. Either way we risk handing Quins another chance by going to touch and they steal the lineout then make it back to our 10m line before we finally get the ball back.. risky and could have cost us!

So my question is, why didn’t we kick for posts? Surely Ford has the distance and the likelihood of hitting the post is pretty slim.. seems like a poor call that could have cost us
I’m certain it was because of the distance.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

My thoughts exactly; kick for the posts, game over. We did look rusty at times, ball didn't stick but the heart and intent never wavered.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
dpoc74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by dpoc74 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:23 pm So my question is, why didn’t we kick for posts? Surely Ford has the distance and the likelihood of hitting the post is pretty slim.. seems like a poor call that could have cost us
I couldn’t work that out either.
We went with some friends who are quins fans and all of us were scratching our heads.