Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers vs Quins - 05th December 2021 - 3-00pm

Post by Goodevibrations »

Goodevibrations wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:28 am Amazed to see that Reffell doesn't even make the bench for some people. Our most underrated player without any shadow of a doubt.
However, it does show how much strength in depth we have at back row.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Goodevibrations wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:28 am Amazed to see that Reffell doesn't even make the bench for some people. Our most underrated player without any shadow of a doubt.
It is the wonderful position that we are in. You could ask a dozen people to pick our back row and they could all come up with different answers and no one option could easily be argued as weaker than the others.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

For me it's not so much underrated it's just horses for courses.
Against Quins I feel you need to beat them up physically, Van Staden made what 50+tackles in 2 games and a lot of them dominant tackles.

Reffell as a bench option v Quins would prob work well though as he can come on and attack the breakdown against hopefully a mashed up pack by the time Quins go for their second wind so he's at least slowing their ball down. Sort of like how Murimurivalu came on v Quins at home last year and made 3 turnovers
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Genuine, general question. The fowards are classed as front row, 2nd row and back row. So why is "the" row used to describe the 2nd row :smt017
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:15 am
dunc wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:17 am I think it is important to keep the squad together and not split into 1st xv and 2nds. We need to show that good performances will be rewarded so I would expect a couple of the prc team to feature against quins. JVP is an obvious candidate with Lenny playing a lot of rugby for England, equally Steward has played a lot so maybe give kini a start at 15 and I would consider playing Chessum in the row alongside Wells given his form. Saumaki is the other one who would be good to see given a go.
Ben Youngs and Freddie Steward will have had a week off this week so starting them against Quins would make sense.
100% would want to see Youngs and Steward in the 23, preferably in the starting XV. They have played a lot of rugby but the rest week comes at a perfect time for us so they should be good to go.

Youngs will have played 8 games in 11 weeks averaging 53 minutes per game so should be in good shape to play. Steward has been used a lot more and while he will have played 9 games in 11 weeks he's averaging 75 minutes per match.

All that being said we have a massive month of rugby ahead of us; home to Quins then 2 tough European matches followed by a tricky away match to Bristol so they have to be managed sensibly.

I guess if Burns is fit SB might start Burns with Steward on the bench to limit his minutes but I'd sooner go full strength against Quins then rest players like Steward a little if required away to Bordeaux.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm Genuine, general question. The fowards are classed as front row, 2nd row and back row. So why is "the" row used to describe the 2nd row :smt017
I’ve never really heard it described like that, but if it is, its probably because in the front row there are props and hookers, in the back row there are flankers and a no 8, in the second row there are just,well, second rows..............
johns12

Post by johns12 »

“ Genuine, general question. The fowards are classed as front row, 2nd row and back row. So why is "the" row used to describe the 2nd row”
That’s a question I’ve often thought of asking.
The 2nd row are locks.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

northerntiger wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:25 pm
Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:12 pm Genuine, general question. The fowards are classed as front row, 2nd row and back row. So why is "the" row used to describe the 2nd row :smt017
I’ve never really heard it described like that, but if it is, its probably because in the front row there are props and hookers, in the back row there are flankers and a no 8, in the second row there are just,well, second rows..............
In the 2nd row there are lock forwards. A bit old fashioned to call them locks these days though.

And if you go back to a post by Dunc yesterday " I would consider playing Chessum in the row alongside Wells" is a recent example.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’m sure, injuries permitting, SB will pick what he believes is the strongest side v Quins. Huge game as both teams should have good squads.
Personally I do think Reffel has to be in the squad: Quins won’t change the way they play so will look to attack all game.
Will rustiness affect us!! Could do!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Back in the day when there was a law called foot up and hookers had to do that very thing hook the ball, you had locks in the second row whose prime job on your own put in was do just that lock the scrum whilst the ball was hooked back. On an opposition put in most of the time you tried to get a nudge by driving the scrum forward to give your hooker the edge in winning the ball. The hooker patting his arm on the props back or the scrum half touching the hookers arm with the ball prior to the ball going in was also developed to give you an edge, it used to be that the scrum half shouted "ball coming in now" and of course you pushed before the "now" bit just to pinch an inch as it were. Todays titles are really misnomers , with the ball going straight into the back two rows directly on most occasions the noble art of scrummaging has decreased. Ditto the second rows function in the lineouts, when lifting was a penalty offence, you have a battle for the ball, now you can barely compete, those two parts of the game used to be massive, now they are purely are just a means of a restart, it used to be a major part of the game.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

It's a mistake to consider the 2 positions (4&5) as identical, "just locks". 5 packs down behind the hooker and tighthead, taking more weight than 4, so ideally should be the stronger of the 2, leaving 4 to be more of a rangey line out jumper. For example, in his all-time best Tigers 15, Johnno had himself at 5 and Ben Kay at 4.

Not always the case, obviously, depending on individuals strengths in different aspects of the game, but the job description isn't quite as simple as bend over and push
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Just out of interest I looked to buy a ticket for the game (I am a season ticket holder and didn't need one - just nosey) and was not surprised to see that there are less than 1000 left to buy. Can't wait to see this one and the team we turn out - expect 2 full-strength sides giving us a great game - you have to go to the bad uns to see a good un and hope this is a real good un.

My full strength side would be
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Leibenberg
Wiese
Brink/Martin - on balance - Martin
Youngs
Ford
Nadolo
Morini
Kelly
Porter
Steward

Leatigaga
Dolly
Hayes
Chessum/Green - either or
Brink/Martin/Reffell - on balance Reffell but can see 6 - split with all 3 in the squad
JVP
Murimurivalu/Hegarty/Burns - not sure which but suspect it will be Burns if a 6 - 2 or Burns/Muri if a 5 - 3
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:10 am Just out of interest I looked to buy a ticket for the game (I am a season ticket holder and didn't need one - just nosey) and was not surprised to see that there are less than 1000 left to buy. Can't wait to see this one and the team we turn out - expect 2 full-strength sides giving us a great game - you have to go to the bad uns to see a good un and hope this is a real good un.

My full strength side would be
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Leibenberg
Wiese
Brink/Martin - on balance - Martin
Youngs
Ford
Nadolo
Morini
Kelly
Porter
Steward

Leatigaga
Dolly
Hayes
Chessum/Green - either or
Brink/Martin/Reffell - on balance Reffell but can see 6 - split with all 3 in the squad
JVP
Murimurivalu/Hegarty/Burns - not sure which but suspect it will be Burns if a 6 - 2 or Burns/Muri if a 5 - 3
Check your starting BR again mate,and has Kelly played at 13?
Last edited by Scott1 on Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

For me
Genge
Montoya
Cole
Wells
Snyman
Liebenberg
MVS
Weise
Youngs
Ford
Nadolo
Scott
Moroni
Potter
Steward

Van Wyk,Dolly,Ladygaga,Martin,Reffell,JVP,Burns,Muri
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Agree but would swap Van Wyk for Hayes
A2O