Next Number 10 ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: Next Number 10 ?

Post by Chobbsy »

JGT57 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:08 am I don’t think we need anyone in a hurry. We have Freddie, Lancaster and possible cover.
Pollard would be far too expensive and possibly at the expense of other overseas players.
In fact a lot of overseas suggestions should be ruled out for similar reasons.
IMHO
Of course we need a new 10 when we lose George you Cant go from having a world class 10 and then having cover from 1 10 who is in his twilight years (as good as he has been) and a bit injury prone to another who is unproved

If we want to be the best again we have to have players in every position who are good enough to challenge the best especially in the 10 position

Just my opinion
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Prefer Freddie Burns to any of those if I'm honest.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:41 am
JGT57 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:08 am I don’t think we need anyone in a hurry. We have Freddie, Lancaster and possible cover.
Pollard would be far too expensive and possibly at the expense of other overseas players.
In fact a lot of overseas suggestions should be ruled out for similar reasons.
IMHO
GF is the marquee, so replacing him with another marquee would not effect the cap / other players, right?
Correct. We currently have 2 marquee spots (Ford and Genge I believe) and next season that changes to 1 which I imagine would be allocated to a potential new FH who would be on more than the salary we are paying Genge (about £400k)
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Can't see it being Pollard who is on about £1M at Montpellier compared to the £700k Ford was apparently on. Lozowski or Simmonds as previously mentioned on here are the 2 likely options imho. Both available for all of the season, both know the Premiership well and would hit the ground running, both are top class players and would fit in nicely with the money freed up by Ford's departure. Neither are as good as Ford imho but Lozowski is still only 28 (same as Ford) and Simmonds is only 24. Would be very happy to see either fill the 10 jersey next season and with Burns, Hegarty, Lancaster then Socino as cover we would be very well placed.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Pollard will be taking a pay cut regardless of where he goes.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

I've warmed to the idea of Lozowski. Defensively sound, good kicker, plenty of experience at this level and having spent so much time with Saracens, I think he'd buy into what we are building under Borthwick. He is comfortable playing 10 or 12 which gives us the option to play Freddie, Heggarty or Lancaster alongside him if we wanted to. Also has the added bonus that he is not likely to be picked for England so we will have him all season round. I don't know this for sure, but I think he's attainable.
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

Problem with both simmonds and lozowski is they wouldn’t be able to be classed as a marquee player and therefore counting towards the salary cap. Therefore reducing the amount we could spend on other players and contract renewals
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

There's a bit of a dilemma. If he's good and EQ, almost certainly can't be marquee and will impact on salary cap. If non-EQ, could impact on selection of other non-EQ players as happened to Bonilla.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

But if the FH we sign isn’t the marquee player then we keep Ellis as our marquee player and his £400k or so falls outside of the cap. If the FH is a marquee player then their wages would fall outside of the cap and Ellis would be inside it. Either way with Ford and a few others likely leaving we should have the ability to get a deal sorted either way
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Goodevibrations wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:52 am I've warmed to the idea of Lozowski. Defensively sound, good kicker, plenty of experience at this level and having spent so much time with Saracens, I think he'd buy into what we are building under Borthwick. He is comfortable playing 10 or 12 which gives us the option to play Freddie, Heggarty or Lancaster alongside him if we wanted to. Also has the added bonus that he is not likely to be picked for England so we will have him all season round. I don't know this for sure, but I think he's attainable.
A very good player even at 10 or 12
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Chobbsy wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:36 am
Goodevibrations wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:52 am I've warmed to the idea of Lozowski. Defensively sound, good kicker, plenty of experience at this level and having spent so much time with Saracens, I think he'd buy into what we are building under Borthwick. He is comfortable playing 10 or 12 which gives us the option to play Freddie, Heggarty or Lancaster alongside him if we wanted to. Also has the added bonus that he is not likely to be picked for England so we will have him all season round. I don't know this for sure, but I think he's attainable.
A very good player even at 10 or 12
He would be my choice
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Lozowski for me as well. We need a quality signing as we cannot waste the chance of silverware and need to not have players leave because they think the club is not serious. He would be much cheaper than pollard, would play more and can play 12 which is a tick for Borthwick. English but unlikely to be away with England. I am not sure Simmonds would want to leave Exeter. Possibly a year too soon for Finn.
newport tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by newport tiger »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:15 am Sexton is 36 and in a set up that carefully manages how many games he plays. He really only plays the big games at Leinster and for Ireland. It would be a terrible choice for him and us to try and put his body through a Prem season.
I thought Twelvetrees was 36, sorry couldn't resist!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

newport tiger wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 2:02 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:15 am Sexton is 36 and in a set up that carefully manages how many games he plays. He really only plays the big games at Leinster and for Ireland. It would be a terrible choice for him and us to try and put his body through a Prem season.
I thought Twelvetrees was 36, sorry couldn't resist!
:smt005 :smt005 Thanks newport, needed that laugh today, it's the little things that count sometimes :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tigers in talks with Pollard apparently. Different game plan maybe
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat