Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Next Number 10 ?

Post by LE18 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:17 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:05 pm I don’t get why people think our game plan will be that different?
Agreed. And based on today’s performance it’s a reminder of what a quality player he is. Think he would fit in really well.. I mean.. we have 3-5 SA players in the pack (at least 3 potential starters) brute force and a dogged determination and a very physical approach.. I really can’t see this big change in game plan personally.. Lozowski still a more likely option but Pollard would be a real coup
Sorry Oakham but I thought Pollard was rather poor today, not worth the figure quoted.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Romain Ntamack looked pretty handy last night…….
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

gilamonster wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:45 pm What about Malins? No idea if contract status, but he certainly originally emerged as a FH. EQP friendly, covers WG and FB (pertinent if we are losing Kobus?) and a hell of a player. Would expect to lose him to England, but I think we’re fairly well stacked with Burns, Heggarty and Lancaster. His skillset could fully settle in a few positions, and it feels like we have the squad cover right now to explore it.
Malins is under contract until 2023 so a no go sadly though he looks a better back three player than a flyhalf.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

As Roy Chadwick once said, (OK, might have said)

The Manchester (OK, Oldham....but it's close) is dead. We must develop the Lancaster.

........and that didn't turn out badly.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:15 am
gilamonster wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:45 pm What about Malins? No idea if contract status, but he certainly originally emerged as a FH. EQP friendly, covers WG and FB (pertinent if we are losing Kobus?) and a hell of a player. Would expect to lose him to England, but I think we’re fairly well stacked with Burns, Heggarty and Lancaster. His skillset could fully settle in a few positions, and it feels like we have the squad cover right now to explore it.
Malins is under contract until 2023 so a no go sadly though he looks a better back three player than a flyhalf.
What a super smooth runner he is, yes please, looks a bit like Jonnie Wilkinson.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I wonder how Freddie Burns must be feeling if rumours are true that Tigers are looking to replace George Ford with whosoever?

For me, he's a more than competent fly half who'd sell his granny to be the regular first team fly half, and to assist in the development of young Lancaster.
Semper in excretia
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:32 pm I wonder how Freddie Burns must be feeling if rumours are true that Tigers are looking to replace George Ford with whosoever?

For me, he's a more than competent fly half who'd sell his granny to be the regular first team fly half, and to assist in the development of young Lancaster.
Freddie didn't get any offers from top clubs before he went to Japan AFAIK. I assume he's aware of his place in the pecking order.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:32 pm I wonder how Freddie Burns must be feeling if rumours are true that Tigers are looking to replace George Ford with whosoever?

Freddie at his best was worth his England caps but Tigers need another top flight fly half to compliment Burns who was happy to be signed as No 2 to Ford and Steward. Whether we can afford one is a different matter but the strength and depth of our squad suggests we have better funding than for a number of years. Is that more money or just better spread without Manu who knows, but it sounds as if we had the funding to pay Ford more and by inference a good chunk on a replacement.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

No point paying silly money. We have really benefitted from George not playing for England this season. Hegarty might develop into a very good fly half, so might Lancaster: Freddie Burns could certainly do it if he stays fit.
Any international fly half we sign will be missing for too many games.
At least Borthwick will have a decent amount of salary cap to spend!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

We must also make sure that young players have room to grow. So many have come through recently, I really hope that keeps up. Stacking proven internationals over them may stifle that.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm We must also make sure that young players have room to grow. So many have come through recently, I really hope that keeps up. Stacking proven internationals over them may stifle that.
Not signing internationals cannot be held in abeyance in favour of developing young players. We need a blend of ability, experience and age.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Not much discussion on here about Jacob Umaga, who has Leicestershire connections and seems to me to look like a very exciting young fly half. Admittedly I have not seen a lot of detail on him only Highlights of games but he is an interesting player who surely must be worth consideration.
Any thoughts or further knowledge?
Wes

Post by Wes »

Jacob is a very decent player but wasn't he released from our academy if I remember correctly? Even if we were interested in him, that might sour things the other way!
I only live there to wind up the population!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wes wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:22 am Jacob is a very decent player but wasn't he released from our academy if I remember correctly? Even if we were interested in him, that might sour things the other way!

From what I heard he left for more dish
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

To be honest, he never impressed me, especially when at Welford Road. Some flash bits, but lacks consistency.

Even with the improvement over time, no thanks.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….