Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

World Rugby and brain injury

Post by jgriffin »

https://tinyl.io/5ANQ

Worth a discussion, as my view is that it is an urgent issue for top line rugby and its obsession with collision and size (much the same as Tom McNab predicted about injuries in general) - and the rest of rugby suffers. To bring in other factors is IMO using known GENERAL POPULATION factors in a VERY SPECIFIC arena, where the main factor - concussion (whether obvious or not) - is a product of WR rule changing to make rugby more marketable" such as the tackle area, again IMO.
On here the solution has been mooted many times - revert to the foot ruck (and severe penalties for both deliberate use of the boot and flopping on the wrong side) with no hands used and proper engagement through the gate, lower the number of subs etc etc, even put back the offside at set piece.
WR are ducking the changes for purely commercial reasons. :smt013 :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Lutontiger

Re: World Rugby and brain injury

Post by Lutontiger »

How do we pressurise them into dealing with this better?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Lutontiger wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:11 pm How do we pressurise them into dealing with this better?
No idea.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0011lf9

More on this subject. Not much new information, but an interview with Alix Popham. First item in the show
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:04 pm
Lutontiger wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:11 pm How do we pressurise them into dealing with this better?
No idea.
Cancelling our season tickets and BTSport subscription would have an impact - but let’s face it, that’s not going to happen.

More likely the game will fade into niche appeal as our kids/grandkids drift away from playing junior rugby whilst those who run the game tinker around the fringes.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chris111 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 am
No idea.
Cancelling our season tickets and BTSport subscription would have an impact - but let’s face it, that’s not going to happen.

More likely the game will fade into niche appeal as our kids/grandkids drift away from playing junior rugby whilst those who run the game tinker around the fringes.
That's my worry.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

jgriffin wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:45 pm
chris111 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:47 am
No idea.

That's my worry.
There’s a lot of concern about the waning interest in junior rugby from my experience. Go to many clubs in Leicester/Leicestershire on a Sunday morning and it will be swarming with under 8s playing tag. Numbers gradually tail off as contact is introduced and by U15 matches are frequently cancelled because one or other team can’t raise a team. The big county clubs (Market Harborough, Hinckley, etc) still do OK, but elsewhere it’s a worry.

Obviously this is an age where many kids would naturally fall away. - but I talk with parents all the time; trust me, the concussion issue is a concern even amongst those actually involved - so we must infer from this that many more are staying away because of the risks (perceived or actual).