George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Old Hob »

The Mirror view seems now to be the accepted narrative. Good.
Also this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59547453
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

That’s a fair summary and if GF continues with his commitment and outstanding performances then every fan I am sure will give him a good send off!! He is an extremely talented player and he very much out shone Smith yesterday, how EJ ignores him is beyond me, he ran the show yesterday and surely that’s needed at the elite level!!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:20 pm That’s a fair summary and if GF continues with his commitment and outstanding performances then every fan I am sure will give him a good send off!! He is an extremely talented player and he very much out shone Smith yesterday, how EJ ignores him is beyond me, he ran the show yesterday and surely that’s needed at the elite level!!
I don't want to argue against George but I would like to put a constructive observation/my view forward of one part of his game, to which I have referred previously, when suggesting why Jones does not pick him.

I view him as a very defensive fly half, he is always playing as 1 of our back 3, always in the right place to field the opponents kick, very very good at that, but he then kicks it straight back, many times, as per yesterday, with no opponent anywhere near him!
Why does he not run it out, gain ground, similar to Freddie? I think he did this once yesterday with good effect.

George seems to always avoid "contact" by kicking too soon, and I see that as possibly his only slight weakness and maybe the reason why Jones isn't picking him. Its certainly working for us, but I would like to see some variation when fielding kicks, and keep ball in hand a bit more.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:04 pm
baz1664 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:20 pm That’s a fair summary and if GF continues with his commitment and outstanding performances then every fan I am sure will give him a good send off!! He is an extremely talented player and he very much out shone Smith yesterday, how EJ ignores him is beyond me, he ran the show yesterday and surely that’s needed at the elite level!!
I don't want to argue against George but I would like to put a constructive observation/my view forward of one part of his game, to which I have referred previously, when suggesting why Jones does not pick him.

I view him as a very defensive fly half, he is always playing as 1 of our back 3, always in the right place to field the opponents kick, very very good at that, but he then kicks it straight back, many times, as per yesterday, with no opponent anywhere near him!
Why does he not run it out, gain ground, similar to Freddie? I think he did this once yesterday with good effect.

George seems to always avoid "contact" by kicking too soon, and I see that as possibly his only slight weakness and maybe the reason why Jones isn't picking him. Its certainly working for us, but I would like to see some variation when fielding kicks, and keep ball in hand a bit more.
I take no praise for this as it was mentioned in the commentary. George was playing back 3 when there was the likelihood of a long kick from Quins, to stop them trying to turn Nemani. Also made sense to have Nemani in a front line defensive position. Played to their individual strengths and 'eliminated' potential areas of weakness. Plus, George was getting plenty of time to run back towards Quins and put up a spiral bomb, of which there must have been at least half a dozen in the 2nd half. The majority were not dealt with very well by Quins. In a game that was going to be tight with few chances of line breaks, it allowed Tigers to control territory better.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Fords spiral bomb is a rare weapon of beauty to witness a highlight of our game and sadly it will go with him. I'm amazed that only George and Fazz are the only premiership players that can deploy this weapon. Surely it can be coached?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

The voice can be coached but not everyone can sing like Pavarotti?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am The voice can be coached but not everyone can sing like Pavarotti?
:smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Another large article in The Times with a photo of George in the dressing room. Little new in it. He speaks of his desire to do well for Tigers "There is an awful lot to play for this season". The interesting part (for me) comes when Steve Borthwick discusses the time he left Bath and the wrench that caused. He seems to have shared this to ease George and George says the club could not have done more to try to keep him. It also reminds us that George was just 20 years old when he came off the bench in the 2013 final against Saints and helped steer us to victory.

Best Wishes George!