George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Voyager1
Tiger Cub

George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Voyager1 »

It is very sad news to hear that George has decided to leave, but it doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been saying for quite a while now that George’s body language has not been looking good.

The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.

I can understand that because Ellis is a loose canon it was his way to give him responsibility to make him grow up. However to ride roughshod over a talented and highly respected individuals aspirations to captain his club was a mistake.

George had earned the right to captain the Tigers, George had become, by far the most pivotal player, and the one that added most value to the team, he would always be the first name on my team sheet.

I know that one man is never as big as the club itself, but the opportunity to cement and retain his talents at the club, is in my mind, a massive oversight by the head coach.

I now hear that the the Tigers had countered and bettered Sales salary offer, so money is not the driver behind his decision.

Perhaps only time will tell if Mr Borthwick was right or wrong in his decision in appointing his captain.
What noise annoys an oyster
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Voyager1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 pm The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.
Who's to say that the club haven't known for longer that Ford stated intent to leave at the end of the season, and this is why he wasn't made Captain.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I hear what you are saying, however there is one thing abundantly clear under Borthwicks management: he's in charge and gone are the days of dressing room power!
AusTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by AusTiger »

Interesting thought about his departure being about not being made captain. I wouldn't have thought that would have been a trigger.
The chat I've heard on various podcasts (definitely mentioned on eggchasers) seems to be around him having had a house built back in his hometown and now wanting to head back there. More of a lifestyle decision.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Surely if this was about the captaincy (which it isn’t) then it would prove he isn’t captain material?

I thought most supporters agreed with Genge being captain not questioned it
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

AusTiger wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 pm Interesting thought about his departure being about not being made captain. I wouldn't have thought that would have been a trigger.
The chat I've heard on various podcasts (definitely mentioned on eggchasers) seems to be around him having had a house built back in his hometown and now wanting to head back there. More of a lifestyle decision.
He was also offered more £ by us and turned that down
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

AusTiger wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:55 pm Interesting thought about his departure being about not being made captain. I wouldn't have thought that would have been a trigger.
Leicester City had multiple players living in the Manchester area the year they won the PL, why must George live in Leicester to play here? I don't buy that excuse sorry, good thing about being in the middle of the country is we are basically a couple of hours from everywhere, commute ...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Unless the club have a clause in contracts saying you must live within "X" time/miles of Leicester/Oadby, not everyone can walk to work like the Polar Bear.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

It could be as a result of Mike's departure. It could be down to money. It could be down to wanting to move back closer to his childhood home. It could be as a result of missing out on the captaincy. It could be all/none/some of these. The truth is, we will probably never know.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

George has a contract with Tigers that expires in June 2022. He has informed his intentions to Tigers now when he did not necessarily need to. He has allowed Tigers more time to look around at replacements next season and manage the salary cap without his wages.
Sad as it is, I am sorry to see him go but his decision needs to be respected and I am sure that he will give 100% in his performances and look to move away with silverware.
Questions have been raised about Steve Borthwicks management and decisions and they have been found to be in the right direction and I expect nothing less going forward.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Money
Lifestyle
Change of scenery

Everyone seems to presume he is going to Sale.

Plenty of people work in one place and live in another. I would be surprised to seem him playing in Paris or Toulon or Toulouse.
But with his family still based in the north west.
TigerXV

Post by TigerXV »

Roadsweeper wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:38 pm Money
Lifestyle
Change of scenery

Everyone seems to presume he is going to Sale.

Plenty of people work in one place and live in another. I would be surprised to seem him playing in Paris or Toulon or Toulouse.
But with his family still based in the north west.
Sale it is......
https://www.salesharks.com/2021/11/17/n ... le-sharks/
Roadsweeper
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Roadsweeper »

Just seen the BBC announcement.

Sale it is.

Home and hearth then for George (and cash).
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Voyager1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:51 pm

The only possible reason for his departure in my mind boils down to the fact that he was not made captain. When Borthwick announced that Ellis Genge had been appointed captain, I think a lot of supporters including myself wondered why.

I can understand that because Ellis is a loose canon it was his way to give him responsibility to make him grow up. However to ride roughshod over a talented and highly respected individuals aspirations to captain his club was a mistake.

This is pure speculation and, in my view, long out of date. When Ellis first arrived he was, shall we say, a little rough round the edges but I think he has matured into a talented and professional player. His captaincy on the field has been exemplary.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I too am sorry he is leaving. I feel that his dropping by England had something to do with it and definitely his Dad's departure.
I am surprised he didn't go shortly after him. The big surprise is he hasn't gone for a big pay day in France now that his international days seem to be over. If he has signed for Sale for more money you have got to wonder if they are playing within the cap rules, Lastly of course, he is in the way of several talented stand offs at the club and his going will give them a chance.
A life long Tiger