George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Tiglon »

physiodan wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:13 am I put to you, would you choose to commute 5 hours each day if another more suitable job was available with a 30 minute commute, similar money and closer to your family ties or private commitments?
Depends on whether my dad worked there...

Seriously though, £67k pay cut per year is a small price to pay for Alex "espresso maestro" Sanderson's expertise in the coffee shop industry.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Knightonian wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 am Mail now confirming he took a £200,000 paycut.

But worth remembering that’s only £68,000 each year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... irmed.html

Whilst I’m not surprised he’s gone to my mind he has tarnished his legacy as he will now be a player who won a lot of caps but never really achieved in club rugby what he should’ve have.

He left Leicester at our peak (as 2nd choice to Floody - rumoured in a strop as we wouldn’t guarantee 10 shirt) , went to Bath and bar 1 year (never equalled the sum of their parts), came back under bad circumstances (burns swap) and now leaves just as we are getting good again.

It is clear that he has valued being with Joe and his dad as key factors in his rugby decision making.

But he should have been winning 🏆 given his skill set.

Over the last few years he has been the shining light at Leicester and clearly his dad leaving, unhappiness with paycuts, splitting from fiancé, losing England job, moving back up North must have all played a significant part.

I wish him the best for the future and hope that this is a life based decision to make him
happy , I guess we will find out in 3 years if he goes for big bucks abroad or stays in Sale.

Good Luck for the future and I hope you & Manu have stinkers whenever we have Saleaway
The article says “a £200,000 a year paycut”. They say his current salary is £650,000 , so that would be around the 25% covid renegotiated reduction.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Potential replacements will be queuing to join Tigers. It’s a shame Ford is going, but I have no doubt that Borthwick will make a great signing and that Ford will not be missed. We still have Freddie, and not many are better than he!
Valhalla I am coming!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also if Fords current pay is 650k then he didn’t take a pay cut when we asked players too

Said it a few times but very interested to hear how sale are helping the fords off the pitch.

The way Sanderson spoke it would be with the restaurant renovation which can cost a fortune
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Don’t overlook that Freddie is also our bench full back too!

There are likely to be many factors in why he has signed for Sale.

We don’t really know the remuneration package here or at Sale. His family ties as he approaches the end of his career and when starting a family can become more important factors than a few thousand quid. It might be a lot to most but if you have had the earnings of an international player, paid for your house, invested well, then other things are relatively more important.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am Don’t overlook that Freddie is also our bench full back too!

We don’t really know the remuneration package here or at Sale. His family ties as he approaches the end of his career and when starting a family can become more important factors than a few thousand quid. It might be a lot to most but if you have had the earnings of an international player, paid for your house, invested well, then other things are relatively more important.
I would imagine we’re now looking for a star 10 and a backup fullback, amongst other positions (centre, openside, hooker). Someone not expensive, but good enough to cover for when Steward is on England duty.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:22 am
mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am Don’t overlook that Freddie is also our bench full back too!

I would imagine we’re now looking for a star 10 and a backup fullback, amongst other positions (centre, openside, hooker). Someone not expensive, but good enough to cover for when Steward is on England duty.
Disagree re the ‘star 10’. Not for now at least. We have George until the end of the season and then it’ll be Freddie, Bryce and Dan L until after the World Cup as a minimum, so I think the money will be spent elsewhere. My biggest concern post World Cup is as to whether some or all of our coaching team will be heading to the England set up.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fleabane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:49 am Potential replacements will be queuing to join Tigers. It’s a shame Ford is going, but I have no doubt that Borthwick will make a great signing and that Ford will not be missed. We still have Freddie, and not many are better than he!
Ford will certainly be missed but Freddie is a fantastic full back. As for potential replacements as I have said before the idea that Burns, Lancaster and Hegarty are all good enough to be a Prem/euro starter is deluded.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

sapajo wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:39 am
fleabane wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:49 am Potential replacements will be queuing to join Tigers. It’s a shame Ford is going, but I have no doubt that Borthwick will make a great signing and that Ford will not be missed. We still have Freddie, and not many are better than he!
Ford will certainly be missed but Freddie is a fantastic full back. As for potential replacements as I have said before the idea that Burns, Lancaster and Hegarty are all good enough to be a Prem/euro starter is deluded.
No it’s not. It’s an opinion that is different to yours. You’re writing all three off now? Wow.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

How is it deluded?! Youre telling me Burns and Hegarty arnt good enough prem 10s if Muri covers Steward? Of course they are!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Smudge wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:02 pm I too am sorry he is leaving. I feel that his dropping by England had something to do with it and definitely his Dad's departure.
I am surprised he didn't go shortly after him. The big surprise is he hasn't gone for a big pay day in France now that his international days seem to be over. If he has signed for Sale for more money you have got to wonder if they are playing within the cap rules, Lastly of course, he is in the way of several talented stand offs at the club and his going will give them a chance.
...did not see this coming and for it to happen now, when the club is looking to claw its way back to the summit is surprising!!!
Have we not seen the same scenario play out before. His father leaves, so he follows him out the door, Freddie Burns comes back and Ford goes out the back door.
Being overlooked for the captaincy seems it could be a genuine reason but Borthwick has called it right so far and at the moment you have to trust what he sees.
You can see why Sale are so delighted, but they are getting him by default...!!
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am How is it deluded?! Youre telling me Burns and Hegarty arnt good enough prem 10s if Muri covers Steward? Of course they are!
They are good enough if we are only aspiring to finish somewhere between 6th and 10th, but not if we are wanting to challenge for the title. This is a competitive league and if we don't have a top class 10, you can pretty much rule us out of the title race.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:58 am How is it deluded?! Youre telling me Burns and Hegarty arnt good enough prem 10s if Muri covers Steward? Of course they are!
Plus if we can develop young Lancaster as we have JVP?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Disagree on that.
Packs win matches.
We had George Ford behind a awful pack and we finished 11th.

1. Genge, 2. Montoya, 3. Cole
4. Wells, 5. Green
6. Liebenberg, 7. MVS, 8. Wiese
9. Youngs, 10. Burns
12. Scott, 13. Moroni
11. Nadolo, 14. Potter, 15. Steward

Honestly that is a team I would still back to beat any team in the league currently.
In fact lock potentially looks weaker.

I think the thing Ford gives is the potential to have a weaker squad and he can carry it to some way.

Like Saints he helped us massively when we went down to 13 men BUT we shouldn't have gone down to 13 men in the first place and it's something we need to work on more.
Last edited by RagingBull on Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Im with RB,I don't think we need a worldy 10 now with our pack, Exeter won the double with Simmonds at FH. This is not saltiness about Ford but I believe we would still be where we are this season without him,what have we said before about armchair rides 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer