George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Baz

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Baz »

Pity GF didn't let us know sooner; we could have offered a straight swap for AJ McGinty!
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

By the way, I'm not suggesting that Dan Lancaster won't turn out to be good enough. He might well turn out to be a worldbeater for all we know and there will still be plenty of opportunities for him to get some game time if we sign another fly-half.

It's just that I find some of the suggestions other than signing a quality fly-half on here to be absolutely baffling. I read someone say that we should sign an international lock instead of a Ford replacement. I'm sorry, but I don't that as being the difference maker, nor do I look at Wells, Snyman, Green, Martin, Henderson, Chessum etc. and think that it's an absolute necessity that we improve upon them.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 2:52 pm Tigers won't sit on anything now I feel back when it was the rugby committee maybe.
It's Borthwick's ship nothing so far has suggested he wants nothing but the best and sometimes what's best for the team might not be the best player.

Look at some of the 10's that have played in the champions cup final the past 5/6 years
Ihaia West
Ntamack (came from the academy)
Joe Simmonds (Academy)
Russell
Farrell (Academy)
Sexton (Academy)
Lambie
Lopez
Carter

Only really Russell and Carter would be classed as world class 10 signings.
Lambie wasn't even an out and out 10
West wasn't even starting in super rugby before he signed for La Rochelle
Sexton, Farrell, Simmonds and Ntamack all from the academies who have been brought up to play a certain way to suit their team.
Sterling work as always RB,folk do get very romantic about 10s for some reason 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth,
Johnson Kay
Back Moody
Corry

Who were the tens? Fat bloke called Andy and a chopsy scouser?

......there was this fellow called Stransky for a time.
Made the odd drop goal count.....apparently. 😁😁😊
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth,
Johnson Kay
Back Moody
Corry

Crazy how much props have evolved since then. You don't see props like Darren Garforth, Jason Leonard, Gareth Chilcott, Julian White etc. anymore.
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Johnson Kay
Back Moody
Corry

I also recall many of our points being kicked by a certain Tim Stimpson, who played full-back, and I can't recall who our 10 (fly-half) was when Tim was kicking all those points.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Nofrontteeth
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nofrontteeth »

I agree with Big Dai's thinking. When we had a decent pack then successes; when we spent big £'s on the non-eq backs we went downhill.
Now we have a decent pack must we go for the priciest off the shelf journeyman?
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

In fairness behind that pack in 2002 Austin Healey was world class IMO - or at least had unique abilities that set him apart from others.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I guess, to put my sensible head on, with the cap reducing, there is very little room for really big name, big salary players unless they can fall under the marquee label. I mentioned before that I cannot see how, for example, Sale will maintain a balanced squad with a £5million budget and a chunk over 20% of that spent already on Manu and George. Bearing in mind that a decent front row can cost another 20% and you suddenly have about £3 million to pay anotehr 10 first team players, 8 subs and all of the ncessary back up and support.

Not saying that we will not look to sign an known quantity but the future has to be in either bargain finds (we have a few of them) or development from within.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:51 pm In fairness behind that pack in 2002 Austin Healey was world class IMO - or at least had unique abilities that set him apart from others.
You hate to big him up, but without him our back to back European Success would of been unlikely.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

I dont get any of the negative feelings towards GF.
As I see it he
* pretty much kept us up 2 seasons ago
* didnt sulk over the covid salary cuts and stayed
* Has seen out his contract
* has always given his all

the reasons for going are clear - its not financial, it's his home, it's where his business is and it's where his wife's business is.
Its a short life and an even shorter career. he has known he was going pretty much all season and it hasn't affected his form and I'm sure it wont for the rest of the season too.
Final point on this from me
* we have an excellent coaching and recruitment set up now - i trust them to make the right call for the club in spending our marquee money next season.

BTW - everyone has a right to their opinion - I'm not questioning that, just making my point...
Less is more....
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Best wishes to George. Its been a pleasure watching him in a Tigers shirt. Shame he is going but its a job and numerous people move for work and personal reasons. He's earned his salary and stuck to his contract. Cant fault him.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

final final word

* whats the betting that now with farrell out potentially for the 6N that he gets the call up and EJ injures him?
Less is more....
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

No issue with Ford at all. In fact his commitment to the club over the last few years has been superb and I understand why he made the call that he has. Manu's departure annoyed me, George's has not and I really hope that the fans make the rest of his last season with us a memorable one for all the right reasons.

It is a time to be excited about who will take the spot at 10 going forward and help the club evolve even more rather than me annoyed about a man making a decision for his family and his quality of life.

For what it is worth, I suspect that Ford is as annoyed as most of us about the way it was handled and it cannot have been his intention to this all to kick off on a quiet day in the week when it was always going to hit the headlines quickly. I suspect he too would rather he had more say in how the situation was managed and presented rather than all parties having to make hasty statements because someone could not keep their mouth shut.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:34 pm
Johnson Kay
Back Moody
Corry

I also recall many of our points being kicked by a certain Tim Stimpson, who played full-back, and I can't recall who our 10 (fly-half) was when Tim was kicking all those points.
Including a very long effort at Nottingham!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"