Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dokie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm Yeah,why doesn’t Farrell have to go away “and work on things”? He’s got way more flaws than Ford!
It could just simply be that Farrell is an alpha male within the group whereas Ford is a loner so doesn’t offer the leadership that’s wanted from a 10.
Really? You’ve watching him at tigers for years and you think that’s a possibility?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:35 pm
LE18 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm Jones told Ford to work on something, what?

Positives,
He is a good kicker, doesn't get much chance with Farrell.
He manages a game well.
He defends a lot.
He kicks a lot.

Negatives?
Could it be that he never runs a ball back, he is not robust enough to take ball into contact, no sidestep etc so his only option is to kick?

I don't know, but the later is my suggestion as to why Jones doesn't want him any more.
Negatives in Jones' eyes.. he's not golden boy Farrell. That's it for me. Ford is world class and everyone but Jones can see it
But what did Jones tell him to go and work on?
Being more like Farrell.. dressing like him, acting like him, that kind of stuff :smt002
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I put it all down to Covid. George just wants to work from home :smt003
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Still no one suggesting what Jones sees missing in Ford's rugby ability.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

Dokie wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm Yeah,why doesn’t Farrell have to go away “and work on things”? He’s got way more flaws than Ford!
It could just simply be that Farrell is an alpha male within the group whereas Ford is a loner so doesn’t offer the leadership that’s wanted from a 10.
I'm not sure whether you're trolling or not. Did you watch the Derby a few weeks ago? Ford's leadership qualities and game management really shone through.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:38 am Still no one suggesting what Jones sees missing in Ford's rugby ability.
I'm waiting for the answer still too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Irrespective of the 'Why' genuinely pity the guy if/when he has a bad game for us .....

Clear though to me that George Ford is a damn sight better than Eddie J believes.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Looks like Sale will have another large medical bill for the recovery of Manu from yet another injury, surely it’s time for him to throw the chips in and call it a day.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

George was stifled having Farrell next door. As we saw from Smith, the flood gates opened with no Farrell around to annoy/ clog things up. Only way can see GF getting back in is when Smith gets injured or Jones leaves.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

fortysix wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am George was stifled having Farrell next door. As we saw from Smith, the flood gates opened with no Farrell around to annoy/ clog things up. Only way can see GF getting back in is when Smith gets injured or Jones leaves.
Pretty much this. Farrell will be around for the foreseeable as a 10/12 option. Smith has been adopted as the darling of the media (print and social) and so, outside of injury, I am sad to say that (wholly underservedly) I think that Ford's days in an England shirt are pretty much over. I think that it was fairly telling that, in 2 of the matches, we were a fly half down in the build up but Ford was not called up to the squad despite not being in Tigers plans those weeks either and despite knowing the England set up well enough to fit in pretty seamlessly.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Glad people are starting to see Farrell is the problem! It was sad to see but the times we were in the ascendancy Smith actually reminded me of Ford and the way he plays and runs the show from 10 (when he’s allowed)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

baz1664 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:21 am Looks like Sale will have another large medical bill for the recovery of Manu from yet another injury, surely it’s time for him to throw the chips in and call it a day.
You do wonder why he was even on the pitch to start with that much strapping on. Poor player management IMO.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 am Glad people are starting to see Farrell is the problem! It was sad to see but the times we were in the ascendancy Smith actually reminded me of Ford and the way he plays and runs the show from 10 (when he’s allowed)
'Starting' to see :smt017 Where have you been these last God knows how many years :smt005 The view that he is good but very overrated by EJ and Lancaster go back to the days of Ellis9. If he had been playing in the second half on Saturday, England would have lost IMHO. He can't cope when things are going badly awry.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:07 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:46 am Glad people are starting to see Farrell is the problem! It was sad to see but the times we were in the ascendancy Smith actually reminded me of Ford and the way he plays and runs the show from 10 (when he’s allowed)
'Starting' to see :smt017 Where have you been these last God knows how many years :smt005 The view that he is good but very overrated by EJ and Lancaster go back to the days of Ellis9. If he had been playing in the second half on Saturday, England would have lost IMHO. He can't cope when things are going badly awry.
There were still some defending him to the hilt though CT! I hope EJ sticks with it for the 6N,especially Malins and Steward,they looked a superb unit in the making. Slades best game in an England shirt too imo.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

I still rate Farrell very highly, I just don't think he's a 12. To me it's just a way of trying to shoehorn him and another fly-half into the team.