George Fords Departure - Why ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
Big Dai
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5211
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:04 pm
Location: Abergavenny

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Big Dai » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Goodevibrations wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:31 pm
Big Dai wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:24 pm
Rowntree, Cockerell, Garforth,
Johnson Kay
Back Moody
Corry

Who were the tens? Fat bloke called Andy and a chopsy scouser?

......there was this fellow called Stransky for a time.
Made the odd drop goal count.....apparently. 😁😁😊
Crazy how much props have evolved since then. You don't see props like Darren Garforth, Jason Leonard, Gareth Chilcott, Julian White etc. anymore.
Sad, isn't it! Evolved or regressed?
Mind you there's always the great assessor of Welsh tackle weight that is Joe Marler?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"

WirralExile
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: Houghton-on-the-Hill (ex-Wirral)

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by WirralExile » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:51 pm
In fairness behind that pack in 2002 Austin Healey was world class IMO - or at least had unique abilities that set him apart from others.
You hate to big him up, but without him our back to back European Success would of been unlikely.
Totally agree! Our backs, notably Austin, Leon Lloyd, Tim Stimpson etc were very effective, admittedly behind the best pack in the league at the time. IIRC, Austin is often referred to as a "utility" back, slotting well into many positions, 9, 10, 11, 14 & 15. Not something many of the current playing squads across the league would consider having been in an almost fixed position since junior squads. I admired Austin at the time for his cross position skillset and whilst many find his "cheeky chappie" attitude unpalatable, this has always landed well with me. Must be something to do with both of us coming from the Wirral.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!

GB72
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by GB72 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:39 pm

WirralExile wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:32 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:06 pm
DeadlyDunc wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:51 pm
In fairness behind that pack in 2002 Austin Healey was world class IMO - or at least had unique abilities that set him apart from others.
You hate to big him up, but without him our back to back European Success would of been unlikely.
Totally agree! Our backs, notably Austin, Leon Lloyd, Tim Stimpson etc were very effective, admittedly behind the best pack in the league at the time. IIRC, Austin is often referred to as a "utility" back, slotting well into many positions, 9, 10, 11, 14 & 15. Not something many of the current playing squads across the league would consider having been in an almost fixed position since junior squads. I admired Austin at the time for his cross position skillset and whilst many find his "cheeky chappie" attitude unpalatable, this has always landed well with me. Must be something to do with both of us coming from the Wirral.
I have some sympathy as that flexibility hindered his career in that he was always more valuable to have on the bench rather than in a starting position.

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1265
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:15 pm
Location: High Wycombe, Bucks.

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Dangerous4 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:47 pm

Gutted by this news, and feel somewhat angry at Ford. Just when we were rising once more, he leaves for the likes of Sale! I don't know his reasons, but accept they are enough to make him leave.

In my view we will certainly have to look elsewhere for a replacement, as fly-half is a pivotal position, and experience will be key. We do have some good youngsters, and an oldy, but the young ones need more time to develope. It is imperative that we do not slide backwards, which is now realistic, next season.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by LE18 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:10 pm

Bunchy wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm
final final word

* whats the betting that now with farrell out potentially for the 6N that he gets the call up and EJ injures him?
I read somewhere that Eddie Jones has finished with him. In the world cup he played Ford and Farrell and regretted not dropping Ford after beat the Aussies. There's not much chance of Jones going back on that, he doesn't like losing face.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by LE18 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm

Jones told Ford to work on something, what?

Positives,
He is a good kicker, doesn't get much chance with Farrell.
He manages a game well.
He defends a lot.
He kicks a lot.

Negatives?
Could it be that he never runs a ball back, he is not robust enough to take ball into contact, no sidestep etc so his only option is to kick?

I don't know, but the later is my suggestion as to why Jones doesn't want him any more.

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3570
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:35 pm

LE18 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm
Jones told Ford to work on something, what?

Positives,
He is a good kicker, doesn't get much chance with Farrell.
He manages a game well.
He defends a lot.
He kicks a lot.

Negatives?
Could it be that he never runs a ball back, he is not robust enough to take ball into contact, no sidestep etc so his only option is to kick?

I don't know, but the later is my suggestion as to why Jones doesn't want him any more.
Negatives in Jones' eyes.. he's not golden boy Farrell. That's it for me. Ford is world class and everyone but Jones can see it
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!

Scott1
Super User
Super User
Posts: 9667
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Scott1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm

Yeah,why doesn’t Farrell have to go away “and work on things”? He’s got way more flaws than Ford!

Redstripeman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Redstripeman » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:25 am
Im with RB,I don't think we need a worldy 10 now with our pack, Exeter won the double with Simmonds at FH. This is not saltiness about Ford but I believe we would still be where we are this season without him,what have we said before about armchair rides 😉
...surprise to here your comment, he has been instrumental in our comeback!!!
He controls the game and effectively sets the tempo, kicks well under pressure and his a very high percentage in penalties taken.
He will be a great loss to the club and we will see to what extent we could negate him going.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3591
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by LE18 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm

OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:35 pm
LE18 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 7:19 pm
Jones told Ford to work on something, what?

Positives,
He is a good kicker, doesn't get much chance with Farrell.
He manages a game well.
He defends a lot.
He kicks a lot.

Negatives?
Could it be that he never runs a ball back, he is not robust enough to take ball into contact, no sidestep etc so his only option is to kick?

I don't know, but the later is my suggestion as to why Jones doesn't want him any more.
Negatives in Jones' eyes.. he's not golden boy Farrell. That's it for me. Ford is world class and everyone but Jones can see it
But what did Jones tell him to go and work on?

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 11153
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by RagingBull » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:29 pm

The macarena

Postiger2
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:34 pm

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Postiger2 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:41 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Yeah,why doesn’t Farrell have to go away “and work on things”? He’s got way more flaws than Ford!
Totally agree.

baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:47 pm
Location: LEICESTER!!

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by baz1664 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:00 pm

EJ biography shows how he loves and hates, sadly for Ford he is one of them that sits on the not for me tree at the moment!!

MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1890
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 2:14 pm
Location: Oundle

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by MurphysLaw » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:43 pm

Back in the day, Tigers had the pull and clout to attract players like Healey. Now, the influx of millionaire backers have more than levelled things up. With their wealthy backers, Sale are probably better funded than Tigers, and are building a serious squad. So, should we really be surprised that players like Ford will be tempted to move away?
Will Genge be able to resist the call back to Bristol when his contract comes up?

Dokie
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 741
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:25 am

Re: George Fords Departure - Why ?

Post by Dokie » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:19 pm

Scott1 wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:00 pm
Yeah,why doesn’t Farrell have to go away “and work on things”? He’s got way more flaws than Ford!
It could just simply be that Farrell is an alpha male within the group whereas Ford is a loner so doesn’t offer the leadership that’s wanted from a 10.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: longlivethecrumbie, RAFPvetTiger and 2 guests