Wasps (A) PRC - 20th November 2021 13:30 ko

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Wasps (A) PRC - 20th November 2021 13:30 ko

Post by Scott1 »

Do you all think we will go stronger in this game?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps (A) PRC - 20th November 2021 13:30 ko

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

After the team selection for last match I can safely say I don't have the vaguest idea who we will see. I reckon Hegarty might be out having failed his HIA and I doubt we will see Burns sadly. With a rest week for round 9 and then the big match against Quins I reckon a few players might get some game time during this one yes.

The likes of Cole, Wells, Potter and Nadolo have played a lot of minutes so far but had a week off last week and will get a week off during round 9 so I doubt SB will want them having a full month off prior to facing Quins on 05 Dec.

I reckon:

1. Leatigaga
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Heyes
4. Snyman
5. Green
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JVP
10. Lancaster
11. Saumaki
12. Porter
13. Cusick
14. Browning
15. Murimurivalu

Reserves: 16. Clare 17. Whitcombe 18. Hurd 19. Martin (if released by England) 20. Agbongbon 21. Law 22. Socino 23. Potter

Normally I would say lets give the younger lads a run out which is what this competition is all about but I think having a month off then facing Quins wouldn't be the best scenario so I'd mix in a few 'first team' players but keep some young lads in there also. I'd give FVW a rest along with Dolly if he's released and not used by England. Clare definitely needs some game time if fit and so does Brink.

Just my thoughts.. to be honest we could see anything but whatever SB selects I will have every faith! :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:32 pm After the team selection for last match I can safely say I don't have the vaguest idea who we will see. I reckon Hegarty might be out having failed his HIA and I doubt we will see Burns sadly. With a rest week for round 9 and then the big match against Quins I reckon a few players might get some game time during this one yes.

The likes of Cole, Wells, Potter and Nadolo have played a lot of minutes so far but had a week off last week and will get a week off during round 9 so I doubt SB will want them having a full month off prior to facing Quins on 05 Dec.

I reckon:

1. Leatigaga
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Heyes
4. Snyman
5. Green
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JVP
10. Lancaster
11. Saumaki
12. Porter
13. Cusick
14. Browning
15. Murimurivalu

Reserves: 16. Clare 17. Whitcombe 18. Hurd 19. Martin (if released by England) 20. Agbongbon 21. Law 22. Socino 23. Potter

Normally I would say lets give the younger lads a run out which is what this competition is all about but I think having a month off then facing Quins wouldn't be the best scenario so I'd mix in a few 'first team' players but keep some young lads in there also. I'd give FVW a rest along with Dolly if he's released and not used by England. Clare definitely needs some game time if fit and so does Brink.

Just my thoughts.. to be honest we could see anything but whatever SB selects I will have every faith! :smt023
Why do you think Heyes has gone off the England radar? Do you think he’s been carrying a knock? He doesn’t seem to be getting as many minutes as last season,I don’t know that for sure but it seems that way.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:43 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:32 pm After the team selection for last match I can safely say I don't have the vaguest idea who we will see. I reckon Hegarty might be out having failed his HIA and I doubt we will see Burns sadly. With a rest week for round 9 and then the big match against Quins I reckon a few players might get some game time during this one yes.

I reckon:

1. Leatigaga
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Heyes
4. Snyman
5. Green
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JVP
10. Lancaster
11. Saumaki
12. Porter
13. Cusick
14. Browning
15. Murimurivalu

Why do you think Heyes has gone off the England radar? Do you think he’s been carrying a knock? He doesn’t seem to be getting as many minutes as last season,I don’t know that for sure but it seems that way.
Quite simply (IMHO of course) - the form of that youngster Dan Cole. He's going to do very, very well to oust him. Would I have given Coley more rest time during games? Yes, but, Borthwick is far more qualified than I to make those sort of judgement calls.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:02 pm

I reckon:

1. Leatigaga
2. Cowan-Dickie
3. Heyes
4. Snyman
5. Green
6. Chessum
7. Reffell
8. Brink
9. JVP
10. Lancaster
11. Saumaki
12. Porter
13. Cusick
14. Browning
15. Murimurivalu

Quite simply (IMHO of course) - the form of that youngster Dan Cole. He's going to do very, very well to oust him. Would I have given Coley more rest time during games? Yes, but, Borthwick is far more qualified than I to make those sort of judgement calls.
Cole is a dying breed,one of those old school props not full of fast twitch muscle fibres who has to go off blowing after 60 minutes. Cole can still do 80 standing on his head,incredible!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Cole is a dying breed,one of those old school props not full of fast twitch muscle fibres who has to go off blowing after 60 minutes. Cole can still do 80 standing on his head,incredible!
Just keeps getting better with age
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:11 pm

He is in fine form and Walters has worked wonders with his fitness. I agree with the comments above about Heyes lack of game time. I doubt it's injury based and more down to selecting the best man for the job, in this case it's Cole. PRC next weekend however I'd expect him to start to keep Cole fresh for the Quins match and then the big European fixtures
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

How good was Whitcombe against Sale though? 120kg prop playing at 6/8 for 70+ minutes and not shying away from doing all the work those players normally do in the open.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:25 pm

How good was Whitcombe against Sale though? 120kg prop playing at 6/8 for 70+ minutes and not shying away from doing all the work those players normally do in the open.
Yep,incredible fitness!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Selection for this is a tough one to call, for me a lot is down to our lock's fitness and I work out the team from there...

We highly suspect that Henderson and L.Chessum are injured.

That leaves us with
Wells, Green, Synman, O.Chessum, Manz (possibly)

Then if England release him, we have Martin

If Martin and Manz are both not available.

If we just have 4 fit locks I can't see us playing more than one of them again. Risking losing another one of them just before we play Quins, Bordeaux & Connacht isn't great. Highly doubt they'll be risked with niggles that may be played through in other games. So to protect I expect it may be Chessum in the row and another loan (though Nottingham have a league game)

If back from England, I'd give Martin a start a lock. If fit I'd have Manz on the bench.

Preference then is:

4. Chessum
5. Martin/Synman/Loanee
19. Manz/Loanee/Prop....

From there, I'd look at the back row. Brink needs gametime, Reffell may want some time too. If Reffell is playing, I think we can put in the new guy Agbongbon at 6 as the other two can help guide the back row. Or if he's not ready to play 6 straight off, I'd play Tom Cowan-Dickie at 6 to start with and have him on the bench (TCD came on there the other week when required, plus there is some method to it)

6. Agbongbon
7. Reffell
8. Brink
20. Cowan-Dickie

So now after my weird juxtaposition I get to Hooker.

Clare needs gametime and Vanes needs IMO to be given a few minutes more off the bench too, but seems a risk to start Clare with only Vanes as backup, which is where having TCD covering Flanker also helps as lowers risk at hooker too.

2. Clare
16. Vanes

Whitcombe I want to see him prop, I'd start him at 1 as Leatigaga got plenty of minutes, I'd give Heyes the other starting berth and put Richardson and Hurd on the bench.
1. Whitcombe
3. Heyes
17. Richardson
18. Hurd

Backs is more straightforward, same halfbacks if fit (Hegarty HIA depending, if not I'd put an extra centre on the bench and use Socino as cover for 10)
9. JvP
10. Hegarty/Lancaster
21. Law
22. Lancaster/Kelly

Centre's as is for the last game.
12. Socino
13. Porter
23. Cusick

Back 3, depending on Tonga having Saumaki, I'd like Browning to get a chance. Less worried about Van Wyk as I don't see him as the future.
11. Saumaki/Browning
14. Browning/Van Wyk
15. Murimurivalu

To summarise my team for various daft reasons...

Murimurivalu
Browning
Porter
Socino
Saumaki
Hegarty
JvP
Whitcombe
Clare
Heyes
Chessum
Martin
Agbongbon
Reffell
Brink

Vanes
Richardson
Hurd
Manz
Cowan-Dickie
Law
Lancaster
Cusick
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Think Whitcombe deserves a go in his actual position, personally I was surprised that he wasn't on the bench at the start of the season as the shirt was his from some decent performances at the end of last season.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:21 pm

He is in fine form and Walters has worked wonders with his fitness. I agree with the comments above about Heyes lack of game time. I doubt it's injury based and more down to selecting the best man for the job, in this case it's Cole. PRC next weekend however I'd expect him to start to keep Cole fresh for the Quins match and then the big European fixtures
Heyes did miss the start of the season though. He could have had a niggly injury and then Cole's fitness has limited his chances thereafter. The PRC being the first opportunity for him to get real minutes in and get match sharp again. Hopefully he can start pushing Cole for game time again, be good for both of them and could mean Dan has to play less minutes. Cole has rolled back the years brilliantly but we don't want him to be doing that all through the winter. We want Heyes there to take a good chunk of the workload as well so hopefully we get to the end of the season with them both fresh and in form.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Trying to second guess our selection policy (irrespective of reasoning) is very difficult - and perhaps rightly so.
The only comment that I'd make is that if Charlie Clare were fit it may be beneficial for all parties if he played some part in the game.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Like a fine wine, much like myself :smt030 :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With Marco va Staden not picked for the Boks, I wonder if he will be released back to us, he's not played for a few weeks, so he could do with a run out.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.