Premiership Rugby Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership Rugby Cup

Post by RagingBull »

What morale boost will glous get though?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

chris111 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:54 pm Sorry, but I don’t buy into the criticism of Gloucester and Sale for their selections. It’s a senior competition and clubs get to choose how to approach it. If you’re aspiring for top 4 and success in Europe it makes sense to see it as a development opportunity, but if you think it will benefit the club why on earth wouldn’t you let your 1st team squad get in a winning groove and boost morale (on field and in the stadium)?

It’s great that Tigers are in the former category at the moment - but feels like there are some short memories here. We’re 8 matches into a good run - hardly a dynasty and a couple of years ago I doubt we’d have criticised Tigers for using this competition in the way Gloucester and Sale are.
To my memory we've always played a mostly B team team at best all the way to the finals of the prem cup, the whole point of the comp is developing younger players and when you get one team following that approach coming up against one who just plays a Prem standard team you get pointless results like tonight.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:58 pm
chris111 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:54 pm Sorry, but I don’t buy into the criticism of Gloucester and Sale for their selections. It’s a senior competition and clubs get to choose how to approach it. If you’re aspiring for top 4 and success in Europe it makes sense to see it as a development opportunity, but if you think it will benefit the club why on earth wouldn’t you let your 1st team squad get in a winning groove and boost morale (on field and in the stadium)?

It’s great that Tigers are in the former category at the moment - but feels like there are some short memories here. We’re 8 matches into a good run - hardly a dynasty and a couple of years ago I doubt we’d have criticised Tigers for using this competition in the way Gloucester and Sale are.
To my memory we've always played a mostly B team team at best all the way to the finals of the prem cup, the whole point of the comp is developing younger players and when you get one team following that approach coming up against one who just plays a Prem standard team you get pointless results like tonight.
It’s not for us to determine the point of the competition - clubs are entitled to make their own decisions about how to approach it, and that’s going to differ from club to club (and from time to time).
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

chris111 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:13 pm

It’s not for us to determine the point of the competition - clubs are entitled to make their own decisions about how to approach it, and that’s going to differ from club to club (and from time to time).
The organisers and broadcasters have made it pretty clear what the comp is for, hence why I have always been baffled why they allow this kind of stuff to happen
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Gloucester fans are the most obnoxious in the league. Absolutely no class , constantly boo the opposition and hee haw every single knock on our mis-kick. Would sooner see them at the bottom than Bath.
A2O
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:21 pm

The organisers and broadcasters have made it pretty clear what the comp is for, hence why I have always been baffled why they allow this kind of stuff to happen
You make a fair point (on Premiership Rugby, that is - not sure I care much what BT Sport have to say about the matter!). I guess that PR are fairly relaxed, though, about clubs using it for their own purposes - otherwise they’d introduce specific selection criteria. Perhaps age (say, ?% of the 23 aged <21?) or experience (?% of the 23 below certain no. of Premiership starts?).

Disadvantage of this would be that weakest squads would suffer even more in the Cup than the Premiership. Surely it’s reasonable to allow a struggling club to go a bit stronger in the Cup - otherwise the same clubs are likely to dominate both?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

You make good points Chris, but surely the clubs should be more, I don't know, collegiate? if the game is to progress. Hammering and traumatising some 18 year old does no-one any favours.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Not sure you can use age. Number of ‘caps’ maybe, but until the authorities make it crystal clear clubs will do what they want.

Picking what is virtually a full strength side is very short term in my opinion, but then I don’t run a rugby club. Maybe a sign Glos don’t believe they have any hope in any other comp. You have to look to the future and give the whole squad incl development guys a chance.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Old Hob wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:06 pm You make good points Chris, but surely the clubs should be more, I don't know, collegiate? if the game is to progress. Hammering and traumatising some 18 year old does no-one any favours.
It is tricky - collegiality would benefit all in the long run, but coaches’ careers live or die by short-term results. I guess Sanderson and Skivington think that getting their senior players into winning habits will pay off in the months ahead. You’d have thought this relegation-free period would allow them to think more long-term…but maybe they’re feeling pressure behind the scenes.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:21 pm

Exactly :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Mayocaz
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Mayocaz »

It happens every season that some club decide they will go for it and send a strong side out seeing it as a chance of silverware. Worcester did it a few years back. I remember we were playing Sale with both of us having been well beaten during the competition by a strong Worcester team. The Sale game was on TV and I remember Steve Diamond saying how he’d rung Cockers up during the week to agree teams and both clubs sent out a similar level of team but not before he’d slated Worcester for their policy first.

Last night was an embarrassment really from Gloucester. One I hope comes back to bite them.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:45 pm Gloucester fans are the most obnoxious in the league. Absolutely no class , constantly boo the opposition and hee haw every single knock on our mis-kick. Would sooner see them at the bottom than Bath.
Well said - and I’m proud of the fact that in 25 years of watching Tigers @ Welford Rd I’ve not once heard our opponents being jeered. Kingsholm is truly unique 😏
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Jeering is one thing but constantly doing there hee haw every time someone makes a mistake is another.Also no appreciation whatsoever of their opponents good play. Pure inbreds
A2O
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Mayocaz wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:50 am It happens every season that some club decide they will go for it and send a strong side out seeing it as a chance of silverware. Worcester did it a few years back. I remember we were playing Sale with both of us having been well beaten during the competition by a strong Worcester team. The Sale game was on TV and I remember Steve Diamond saying how he’d rung Cockers up during the week to agree teams and both clubs sent out a similar level of team but not before he’d slated Worcester for their policy first.

Last night was an embarrassment really from Gloucester. One I hope comes back to bite them.
This! Spirit of the game!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Yep.. quite liked Glos but after yesterday they’ve gone down in my estimation. Clearly teams can name whatever side they like.. while it’s not in the spirit of this tournament it’s their prerogative. The way their fans acted just sums them up really. Glos first team vs Bath under strength 3rds.. wow.. what a shock :smt018 :smt009
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!