Stadium Red Zone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Stadium Red Zone

Post by sapajo »

I believed that the Red Zone was only in operation for any matches where the visiting team and support staffs were below the 85% vaccination rate threshold. I was wrong, it appears to apply to bith teams that takes the pitch.

It begs the question are Tigers below the 85% threshold as the red zone has been in operation all season at Welford Road?

Or must we asssume that to date all visiting teams were below it?

If Tigers are below the 85% threshold, the Red Zone is an expensive home goal due to loss of seating in the Breedon and standing room in the Terrace.

This link explains the Red Zone

https://www.lawinsport.com/news/item/new
Last edited by sapajo on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Stadium Red Zone

Post by Ian Cant »

With the way Covid cases are I’d rather keep the players as safe as possible.
Freddie Burns was very good with us fans at Northampton but when he offered me a selfie with him I decline for two reasons:
1) to keep him safe though I’d no sign of Covid
2) I told him my wife wouldn’t want me on with him as it would spoil the photo!

Well done Tigers. Keep the players safe!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Ian Cant wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:52 pm With the way Covid cases are I’d rather keep the players as safe as possible.
Freddie Burns was very good with us fans at Northampton but when he offered me a selfie with him I decline for two reasons:
1) to keep him safe though I’d no sign of Covid
2) I told him my wife wouldn’t want me on with him as it would spoil the photo!

Well done Tigers. Keep the players safe!
Excellent point, but surely getting vaccinated remains the No1 way of keeping everyone safe from Covid?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The area directly behind the dugouts has been assigned for the teams warm up bikes. They have previously been pitchside but are too close to the field of play. The red zone is likely to remain in place for a while yet is what I understand.
The club may have taken the decision to protect the players and staff whilst the virus is still around.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:02 pm The area directly behind the dugouts has been assigned for the teams warm up bikes. They have previously been pitchside but are too close to the field of play. The red zone is likely to remain in place for a while yet is what I understand.
The club may have taken the decision to protect the players and staff whilst the virus is still around.
Conversely, it is therefore evident that the club has taken the decision not to mandate any covid protection measures for supporters whilst the virus is still around as this is not a legal requirement.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I was of the understanding that until ALL clubs meet the 85% threshold the measures needed to remain even if both clubs involved met them. I may be wrong but I think that this was to
A) stop discrimination against clubs meeting and not meeting targets
B) with a 7 day incubation more than possible I think it was to reduce risk of spreads in future games too
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:44 am I was of the understanding that until ALL clubs meet the 85% threshold the measures needed to remain even if both clubs involved met them. I may be wrong but I think that this was to
B) with a 7 day incubation more than possible I think it was to reduce risk of spreads in future games too
I think you have hit the nail on the head but it's not clear from the online guidance for me the 85% rate seems to apply to the hosting club who are the visiting club for away matches. The incentive for the 85% vaccination rate is a fiscal one for the hosting club not having to suffer the fiscal losses associated with having to set up and operate a red zone. Furthermore, I have not physically seen any red zones in operation in any other grounds on TV but of course that is perception not fact.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

sapajo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:08 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:44 am I was of the understanding that until ALL clubs meet the 85% threshold the measures needed to remain even if both clubs involved met them. I may be wrong but I think that this was to
I think you have hit the nail on the head but it's not clear from the online guidance for me the 85% rate seems to apply to the hosting club who are the visiting club for away matches. The incentive for the 85% vaccination rate is a fiscal one for the hosting club not having to suffer the fiscal losses associated with having to set up and operate a red zone. Furthermore, I have not physically seen any red zones in operation in any other grounds on TV but of course that is perception not fact.
I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other club where the players come down between the fans. All other clubs have some form of tunnel or other form of segregation already in place naturally - e.g. Gloucester where the players come through a tunnel which has fans above and to the side of it but has walls to separate the fans from the players.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

My daughter and son in law sit in the crumbie near the red zone close to where Borthwick sits. They told me that at last Fridays match there were a number of instances where leary Tigers supporters worse for wear were trying to manhandle Borthwick to congratulate him. Unsurprisngly he was clearly very unhappy about this but did his level best to physically avoid contact and not to lose his cool under this uninvited attention.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:33 pm I believed that the Red Zone was only in operation for any matches where the visiting team and support staffs were below the 85% vaccination rate threshold. I was wrong, it appears to apply to bith teams that takes the pitch.

It begs the question are Tigers below the 85% threshold as the red zone has been in operation all season at Welford Road?

Or must we asssume that to date all visiting teams were below it?

If Tigers are below the 85% threshold, the Red Zone is an expensive home goal due to loss of seating in the Breedon and standing room in the Terrace.

This link explains the Red Zone

https://www.lawinsport.com/news/item/new
This is partially incorrect.

There is the normal red zone, which is in place for all teams, and the extended red zone for those failing to reach 85%. As you may be aware the bars in the Crumbie stand were out of action for Exeter & Sale but were available for Saracens and Bath. Draw your own conclusions about which teams required extra space to change. Apparently the bars will now be in operation for the rest of the season.

Some of the restrictions around the Crumbie will likely last the whole season now, or at least until we are will after winter. The club don't operate in a vacuum and need agreement from Premiership Rugby as well as local authorities for all their set ups, both for players and fans.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:35 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:08 am
I may be wrong, but I can't think of any other club where the players come down between the fans. All other clubs have some form of tunnel or other form of segregation already in place naturally - e.g. Gloucester where the players come through a tunnel which has fans above and to the side of it but has walls to separate the fans from the players.
Exactly right, at other clubs there is already a barrier and 2m gap from the players to the crowd, and internally the only other where the players have to walk across an internal spectator concourse to reach the pitch is Bath where they walk under the end terrace from the club house. That makes the red zones of others much less obvious.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Certainly there was a much less wide red zone for the Bath game. Bars open and access to bith ends under the Crumbie apart from when the players were passing on and off the pitch. (Much the same as pre covid but just a bit wider.)

It may be a year or two before we get the old level of access to the players and as yet we can't just rely on the vaccines as there is just too much Covid about presently.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Until the likes of a Lemsip or a Strepsels bring out an over the counter remedy for it (they will be flying along trying to be first to market with one) at which point it will essentially be considered just part of the flu family and be the normal I think you're right
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.