Which team would you support

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Which team would you support

Post by Scuttle »

Apologies if this has been done before, but even so the shifting sands of favouritism may have changed some minds given where we are after 8 rounds. Listening to the Chiefs v Falcons match just now I found myself musing on who I wanted to win. I tend to balance my choice in situations like this between the hard-nosed "who is closer to us in the table" and things like what I think of the other teams based on how the coaches behave and come across, how the players come across, the culture of the club....
You know....the softer things beyond the rugby.... I live in Matlock so it is a bit of a trek as a ST holder, but I also sometimes muse on who I could support if I moved to a further out part of the country. I would always support Tigers but if I moved to the North East for example, I could find myself going to Falcons as a supporter but supporting Tigers on their visits...others I would struggle. Sooo I then thought, what are my rankings of teams I like. The list for me splits into 3, the top group I actually quite like, the middle group I am somewhat ambivalent, the third group I could not support. My list is below..how about yours:

1. Tigers
2. Falcons
3. Exeter (sorry Scott)
4. Bath
5. Saints
6. Glaws
7. Quins
8. Worcester
9. Wasps
10. L. Irish
11. Bristol
12. Sale
13. Saracens
As Good As It Gets
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Which team would you support

Post by Scott1 »

I wouldn’t support Chiefs if I lived in Exeter 😂
Tigers
Gloc
Quins
Wasps
Newcastle
Sale
Wuss
LI
Bath
Bristol
Saints
Chiefs
Sarries

Something like that probably
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Scuttle wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:19 pm Apologies if this has been done before, but even so the shifting sands of favouritism may have changed some minds given where we are after 8 rounds. Listening to the Chiefs v Falcons match just now I found myself musing on who I wanted to win. I tend to balance my choice in situations like this between the hard-nosed "who is closer to us in the table" and things like what I think of the other teams based on how the coaches behave and come across, how the players come across, the culture of the club....
You know....the softer things beyond the rugby.... I live in Matlock so it is a bit of a trek as a ST holder, but I also sometimes muse on who I could support if I moved to a further out part of the country. I would always support Tigers but if I moved to the North East for example, I could find myself going to Falcons as a supporter but supporting Tigers on their visits...others I would struggle. Sooo I then thought, what are my rankings of teams I like. The list for me splits into 3, the top group I actually quite like, the middle group I am somewhat ambivalent, the third group I could not support. My list is below..how about yours:

1. Tigers
2. Falcons
3. Exeter (sorry Scott)
4. Bath
5. Saints
6. Glaws
7. Quins
8. Worcester
9. Wasps
10. L. Irish
11. Bristol
12. Sale
13. Saracens
1. Tigers
2. Tigers Academy
3. Saints
4. Gloucester
5. Bath
6. Newcastle
7. Worcester
8. Bristol
9. Sale

The rest nowhere (Sarries for obvious reasons, Exeter because of the crass branding, Irish for signing Paddy Jackson, Wasps (just because), Quins because they have enough people to love them)
Last edited by chris111 on Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Love it !!
As Good As It Gets
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly I just can't support any other team.
Every team has a reason why I dislike them.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

1. Tigers

Kind of like the next 3 clubs.. yes, even Bath!
2. Falcons
3. Glos
4. Bath

Rest of them
5. Quins (would have been much further down as I dislike them but I have to admire the style of rugby they are playing)
6. Exeter
7. Worcester
8. L. Irish (same as Quins they go up a few places due to their fantastic style of rugby)
9. Sale
10. Wasps

Don't like these 2..
11. Bristol
12. Saints

:smt018
13. Saracens
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

In the world of post match Remy powered absolute snobbery......

Big Dai, Big Dai's Dad and Posh Richard propose the following :-

Proper clubs.

Leicester, Saints, Quins, Exeter,

Nearly proper clubs (Carpet Baggers)

Gloucester, Worcester. Newcastle

Vagabond trash.

Wasps, Sarries, LI, Bristol Sale

Trash

Bath,

Apologies for any offence caused.
Last edited by Big Dai on Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Tigers and Leicester Lions, not got much time for any of the others and certainly not getting any of my money. I have watched Perthshire, but they play on a park and it's free.(I think I might have lived up here a bit too long, getting "grippit" in ma auld age) lol.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

tigerburnie wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:11 pm Tigers and Leicester Lions, not got much time for any of the others and certainly not getting any of my money. I have watched Perthshire, but they play on a park and it's free.(I think I might have lived up here a bit too long, getting "grippit" in ma auld age) lol.
Well, if we’re going local then Oadby Wyggs would have to be up there with Tigers for me 💪
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:43 pm In world of post match Remy powered absolute snobbery......

Big Dai, Big Dai's Dad and Posh Richard propose the following :-

Proper clubs.

Leicester, Saints, Quins, Exeter,

Nearly proper clubs (Carpet Baggers)

Gloucester, Worcester. Newcastle

Vagabond trash.

Wasps, Sarries, LI, Bristol Sale

Trash

Bath,

Apologies for any offence caused.
Post of the season so far ....I doff my cap sir !
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

The two clubs I truly can't stand are Saracens and Wasps. I have a begrudged respect for Northampton, Bath and Gloucester because they are proper clubs with proud histories and have an undoubted affinity with the areas they represent.

I'm not overly keen on London Irish or Harlequins for the similar reasons that I feel strongly against Saracens and Wasps. None of the other clubs really bother me.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Honestly, if I moved away and had to pick a local club to support I would probably pick an championship team to go and watch at the weekends and continue my distance relationship with Tigers. Just not sure I could support another premiership club.
Goodevibrations
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Goodevibrations »

I understand that it's difficult for clubs around the London area to find a permanent home especially when you consider that in the grand scheme of things rugby union hasn't been a professional sport for very long. Wasps playing under the name 'London Wasps' despite being based in High Wycombe was at very best a stretch. However, for them to move to Coventry where there is already a rugby club with a proud history of their own and to remove 'London' from their name is just too much for me. Who exactly are that club representing?

Saracens have relocated on a fair few occasions but that is certainly not the biggest reason to hate them. They brought rugby in this country into disrepute and made a complete mockery of the competition. I am glad that they were made an example of, the disappointment for me is they couldn't have been stripped of the titles they won during the years where they had breached the salary cap. I have a level of admiration for what a good rugby team they are but that is where it ends. I also hate the way in that every time they score a try or win a penalty they celebrate it like an arrogant kids rugby team (ok, the last point is just me being bitter/jealous).
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Does not compute

Saints
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I live in Leeds, so there isn't really any big clubs to watch around here. Used to like it when Tigers visited Headingly. Even though the games were generally aweful! I could at least have a few oints at the game and go out after. I suppose Doncaster but its a bit of a trek.

I could not support or even watch Sarries or Wasps. But like above there are teams that deserve respect as they have been proper clubs for a long time and proper history. Gloucs, Bath, Saints.
I don't mind Sale as I have fond memories of going to Heywood road and the bar staff being very nice.
Never really liked Quinns as they seemed to just be a fasion thing in the 80's/90's.
I quite like Newcastle.
The rest I'm pretty ambivalent about. Although I would probably go to a Bristol game if I lived down there.