Romain Poite

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Romain Poite

Post by kk20gb30 »

Last international match today (Scotland Vs Australia)....
Much maligned , but overall I can think of far worse Officials...

https://www.world.rugby/news/669321/rom ... appearance
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Romain Poite

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:00 am Last international match today (Scotland Vs Australia)....
Much maligned , but overall I can think of far worse Officials...

https://www.world.rugby/news/669321/rom ... appearance
I always thought he was a decent ref of a scrum and definitely wasn't the worst on the international circuit by some margin.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

For some reason I thought this topic read 'Remain Polite' which of course we all are as Tigers fans... :smt001 :smt003
But agree with the observations made
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I like Poite,very consistent for me.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:37 am I like Poite,very consistent for me.
Agreed Scott. Would take him every day of the week over most in the Premiership
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Mrs G could only remark on the day he warmed up and took his shirt off. Many women of a certain age, including Mrs G, ogled his 6 pack etc. :smt018
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

he just totally screwed Scotland out in the lead up to the Aussie try, put his arm out as though Scotland had an advantage, so they tried something that didn't come off and its an Aussie scrum from which they score. "My mistake" well done but are you going to give them back the 7 points Australia wouldn't have had?
Rod
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rod »

I have always liked M Poite. He did not mess about at scrum time and was quite prepared to penalise any side quickly, which gives us all a quicker game. In general french referees seem to keep the game moving as opposed to some of the english stop start merchants.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:38 pm he just totally screwed Scotland out in the lead up to the Aussie try, put his arm out as though Scotland had an advantage, so they tried something that didn't come off and its an Aussie scrum from which they score. "My mistake" well done but are you going to give them back the 7 points Australia wouldn't have had?
I think he screwed over Australia in denying them the try and yellow card for alleged head contact whilst ignoring the Zander Fergusson clasped hand direct into the face of Hooper after he scored.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For me he is the best in the world at policing the scrum. Never afraid to reward to dominant pack and give quick decisions rather than constant resets. He has also proved good at going straight to giving a penalty try and yellow for a defensive collapse of a 5m scrum or maul rather than several repeat penalties and eventually a warning. :smt009

Not watched the Scotland game yet.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

I loved his reply to James Haskell in an England vs Italy match a few years ago. Italy refused to engage in a maul/ruck at a lineout so it was open play and no offside. Haskell asks what England can do. Poite replies, "I'm not the coach." Classic.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

He backed himself and was quick in his decision making.

Story from Nigel Owens about Poite in the telegraph. Apparently the refs had a training day and were playing 5 aside. One them wouldn’t pass the ball (can’t remember who), so Poite cleaned him out with a two footed tackle and sent him cartwheeling in the air. The other players laughed their heads off. Incensed the victim shouted at him ‘what the :censored: are you doing?’ Poite just said ‘pass the ball’ and walked off.

Didn’t take himself too seriously by all accounts.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I understand he was 'un flic' *in Marseilles before becoming a full time ref and I don't suppose that was a picnic either.

* Police detective
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Voyager1
Tiger Cub

Post by Voyager1 »

As most referees do he had his good / bad days at the office, generally though quite good and very much international class. What I admired him for, was once telling the TMO in an international match he was wrong and was going to go with his own decision. Bravo.

Referees are the ultimate arbiters of the game, the majority of our premiership referees just go along with whatever the TMO says, without sometimes, reviewing the incident. Craig Maxwell-Keys and RFU please take note.

An authoritarian who didn’t suffer fool’s gladly.
What noise annoys an oyster
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Well at least he didn’t referee Scotland out of this game unlike Joubert in a match v Australia.

I was not a massive fan of Poite, he made a lot of mistakes in his time but then again so do most of them