LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RagingBull »

I don’t think Sinfield will be a package.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Re Gopperth from what I gather attack is very much a committee thing
Wigglesworth
Smith
Sinfield
Ford
Burns

All tend to work together in that regard.
Wouldn't surprise me if Gopperth is filling in for Ford in terms of the brains trust side of things.

Nabbing Gopperth is a pretty smart move if it happens IMO, like Wigglesworth just one of those players you always think would move into coaching and be successful just look how much support he still brings to the likes of Umaga and Atkinson at Wasps.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:27 am I don’t think Sinfield will be a package.
That’s good then! Sinfield could then maybe have Deacon as his number 2 (even though I’m getting way ahead of myself)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Offside wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:13 am Harrison tries hard and looks the part with his headband but is not always effective. Staines forwards either dominate or get dominated and the score reflects their
Ability to get ball to the back line, which is very variable. I would look for more consistency if I were recruiting.
As others mentioned Pivac says Reffel is in the wrong country and will miss several days of camps then makes Biggar captain, who will miss several days…….hypocrit.
Harrison is an extremely good player as it stands - and when SB looks at players he will be factoring in the crucial extra % points improvement he thinks he’ll get from what is currently the most effective coaching squad in English club rugby!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Or and my preferred option is why tie Borthwick to a 10 year deal, go on a run of European and domestic domination!!
I think the fact we are linked and have signed players in the twilight of their careers but have some coaching knowledge shows we are looking to the future and constantly striving to improve. No standing still waiting for clubs to catch up with us.
Having a happy Sunday thinking about the future…and the odd text to a few Bath supporting mates..
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

chris111 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:37 am
Offside wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:13 am Harrison tries hard and looks the part with his headband but is not always effective. Staines forwards either dominate or get dominated and the score reflects their
Ability to get ball to the back line, which is very variable. I would look for more consistency if I were recruiting.
As others mentioned Pivac says Reffel is in the wrong country and will miss several days of camps then makes Biggar captain, who will miss several days…….hypocrit.
Harrison is an extremely good player as it stands - and when SB looks at players he will be factoring in the crucial extra % points improvement he thinks he’ll get from what is currently the most effective coaching squad in English club rugby!
Yes I thought that was a little harsh,he can be an incredible carrier at times and do some serious damage.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Think Harrison would suit us down to the ground. Gritty tough player who never takes a backward step.
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I may be wrong about Harrison but I believe that he hasn't featured as often as people think due to many injuries. He would certainly need to come and respond to Aled's magic for him to be a good signing. Having said all that, when I have seen him play he has been very impressive, and don't think he would be an expensive signing. As for Gopperth, he was certainly instrumental in our loss at Wasps - but will find it difficult to warm to him after the cheap shot on Tait. IBWT
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:33 am I may be wrong about Harrison but I believe that he hasn't featured as often as people think due to many injuries. He would certainly need to come and respond to Aled's magic for him to be a good signing. Having said all that, when I have seen him play he has been very impressive, and don't think he would be an expensive signing. As for Gopperth, he was certainly instrumental in our loss at Wasps - but will find it difficult to warm to him after the cheap shot on Tait. IBWT
Yes he has been struggling with injuries the past 2 years but he said he understands his body more now and is going in training early for massages and is doing more ice baths as well. So he’s certainly dedicated into getting as much as possible out of what’s left of his career.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean he's done
17/18 - 27 matches
18/19 - 28 matches
19/20 - 28 matches
20/21 - 11 matches
21/22 - 9 matches (Out of Saints current 15 matches)

Personally right now if it was another source I would have believe more but not sure where Fissler would've picked it up we don't seem to talk to him anymore and he even said that Pollard wasn't coming to us lol
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:16 pm I mean he's done
17/18 - 27 matches
18/19 - 28 matches
19/20 - 28 matches
20/21 - 11 matches
21/22 - 9 matches (Out of Saints current 15 matches)

Personally right now if it was another source I would have believe more but not sure where Fissler would've picked it up we don't seem to talk to him anymore and he even said that Pollard wasn't coming to us lol
What’s RugbyInsideLine saying? 😜
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:33 am I may be wrong about Harrison but I believe that he hasn't featured as often as people think due to many injuries. He would certainly need to come and respond to Aled's magic for him to be a good signing. Having said all that, when I have seen him play he has been very impressive, and don't think he would be an expensive signing. As for Gopperth, he was certainly instrumental in our loss at Wasps - but will find it difficult to warm to him after the cheap shot on Tait. IBWT
They have signed a Bok 8 this season, sorry his name escapes me, so game time would be more limited
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:24 pm
They have signed a Bok 8 this season, sorry his name escapes me, so game time would be more limited
Augustus - and he’s played well too. With Ludlum being their club captain and with Lawes playing at 6 more with Ribbans and Ratuniyarawa playing well in the second row Harrison is often left to the bench role or just missing out.

Could be a smart pick-up - but for me depends on the role he plays. If it’s depth or because someone else is leaving (then depends who…)

Time will tell with rumours but I’m sure Steve, Kev, Aled etc will get the players they want and players who buy in!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would be surprised if Aled was part of an England set up.
As for Gopperth if he is still a player all his wages come out of a shrinking cap, not sure it's a good use of the cap, likewise WW continuing to play, we definitely can't carry both within the cap.
Harrison has never looked anything special for me, one of the pundits players.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I must admit I don’t see the sense in the Gopperth signing. With the arriving Pollard, Hegarty, Burns and Lancaster we have cover at 10, and cover in the centres too even if Socino is off and assume some cap being made available with Kobe’s van Wyk off.
My worry would be does it signify Wigglesworth moving on and Gopperth is coming in as a player coach