LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by kpj tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm with Clarke now more a second row could be Slater who is off.
I had read somewhere that he is rumoured to be retiring at the end of the season
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kpj tiger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:11 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:09 pm with Clarke now more a second row could be Slater who is off.
I had read somewhere that he is rumoured to be retiring at the end of the season
A friend of mine is a Glaws fan and he informed me that he's heard from a couple of well placed sources that Slater will be retiring at the end of the season and joining the coaching staff at Glaws.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:05 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 pm
ABClub wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:03 pm Could Ben Morgan be an option to replace Brink if he moves on from Gloucester with Tuisue joining?

He wont cost what he once did as an international but he's still a good player and would offer another ball carrying option in the back row. We really suffered against Wasps with our carriers missing.
Loved him at his peak,he was superb in his England heyday! Good shout if he’s cheap and fully fit
…and there’s the crux…..his injury record.
I think his work rate would be more of an issue. He'd have to be signing up to a brutal pre season regime with Aled in order to be able to adapt to the Sinfield defence.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Downsouth wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:25 pm If we are to use an injury dispensation it would be far better to do so towards the end of the season when it matters. I am still puzzled why we let Smith go unless we had no idea Brink was off. Especially with the amount of rugby Van Staden and Wiese have had.....not to mention a suspension not being out of the blue. Dual registration would have made sense. I hope we can sign someone like Brink for next season.
I hate to be brutal, but I don't Smith was anywhere near to cutting it in the Premiership. When you've got Refell about the same age at 7, and the younger, taller, arguably far more developed Martin and Chessum (returning) I don't see where he was going to fit in the squad. To be that small as an 8 (given Borthwick always plays a jumper at 6) you need to be in Sam Simmonds or Kwagga Smith ability brackets. Sadly I consider Smith maybe to be one of the examples of maybe less than ideal talent and potential selection from our academy graduates.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Lets be frank about this

With players like
Liebenberg
Martin
Chessum
Wells

Who all cover both 2nd row and lock we can look at the depth we have in those positions as a whole.

Wells
Synman
Liebenberg
Van Staden
Wiese

Henderson
Green
Chessum O
Reffell
Martin

Manz
Chessum L
Agbongbon
Ilione
?

So we are one away from 3 seperate back 5's of a scrum.

Lets add in the fact that so far, Whitcombe, Dolly, Cowan-Dickie, Murimurivalu & Van Wyk have all covered there im a game.

We're maybe one 8 away from a perfect balance (which Brink fitted well) however we don't know the circumstances and after 2 knee injuries plus lockdowns he may be looking at personal reasons for leaving.

That said if you told me that the following players would all simultaneously be unavailable for the Newcastle game I'd have thought it nigh on impossible.

These were known injured/suspended
Wiese
Liebenberg
Van Staden
Henderson
O Chessum one week Martin the next
L Chessum
Ilione

Plus possibly more were injured/ill so that's at least half of the options for those positions.

Odds of us being in as bad situation agaim is highly unlikely.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I like your logic there Steve 👍
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Slight worry that Martin is injured and potentially might see Chessum and Martin in the squad come AI's
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Oli Robinson joined us on loan for the rest of season from Cardiff

https://www.cardiffrugby.wales/news/law ... rt-on-loan

Guess Martin, Marco or Hanro out for a while (or could be Brink cap)

also
Meanwhile Tigers centre Matt Scott says he doesn’t want to be anywhere else. His deal at Welford Road ends in the summer. “The coaching here is first class, I think the strength and conditioning is world class, I think the environment’s first class as well. I love coming in.”
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 pm Oli Robinson joined us on loan for the rest of season from Cardiff

Solid,plays 6 and 7 right?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 pm Oli Robinson joined us on loan for the rest of season from Cardiff

He does.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:37 pm

He does.
That’s good,takes a bit of pressure of Reffell! Shame he can’t be involved v BB and give Reffell the week off
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Potentially just cover till end of season, slight worry is that Reffell might go into wales and Robinson might be going the other who knows.

Right now we need back rowers, though so the logical take is we are just looking for a short term fix.
Frees up Marco to play more 8, especially if Chessum does get kept by England we will really be tight on back row. something like 6 prem games in this 6N's slot.
6. Liebenberg, Martin
7. Reffell, Robinson
8. Wiese, MVS
Would do.

Edit confirmed by Tigers
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lo ... son-220118

"With the Six Nations seeing members of our squad away for two months, Olly provides valuable depth in our forward pack and is the type of player we want at Leicester Tigers.

"He's a tough, hard-working young man with a great character and want to learn and improve, who will add to Leicester Tigers on and off the field."

Sounds like my second take is more on the money.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:45 pm Potentially just cover till end of season, slight worry is that Reffell might go into wales and Robinson might be going the other who knows.

Right now we need back rowers, though so the logical take is we are just looking for a short term fix.
Frees up Marco to play more 8, especially if Chessum does get kept by England we will really be tight on back row. something like 6 prem games in this 6N's slot.
6. Liebenberg, Martin
7. Reffell, Robinson
8. Wiese, MVS
Would do.
Any whispers on how far away MVS and HL are? Do you expect one back this week?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Back rower, Olly Robinson joining on loan from Cardiff for the remainder of the season.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/lo ... son-220118
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Great news that both Scott and Moroni have said they want to stay at the club. Both are massive for us in the backline and with Ford going, we want as much continuity as we can.