LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:50 pm Hooper quoted as saying 'we never spoke to Pollard'.... then he went to the corner of the room and had a little cry 🤣🤣
:smt005 :smt043 :smt005
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

What have I started! 😂

We’ve signed arguably the worlds best fly half and I’m sure his kicking game will be on point.

When was the last time we signed a player of this ilk - I’m thinking it was probably Pat Howard? Toomua was of a level but not to the level of Pollard
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

fentiger wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:50 pm Hooper quoted as saying 'we never spoke to Pollard'.... then he went to the corner of the room and had a little cry 🤣🤣
He’s just remembered he’s got to face Leinster and La Rochelle in consecutive weeks. And he’s likely going to be sacked after the La Rochelle game.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... treak.html
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

A gary owen is just another name for an up and under or basically a kick that travels straight up without a spiral.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:59 pm A gary owen is just another name for an up and under or basically a kick that travels straight up without a spiral.
An "oop n under" as said by Eddie Waring. Part of my early rugby. Spiral kicks were an old skill, whether 20 feet up or 100. GM was an exponent.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'm sure Pollard is quite capable of learning the technique of the spiral, some of you are talking as though its an overly complex thing, its just something GF worked on and saw the benefit of
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:38 pm What have I started! 😂

We’ve signed arguably the worlds best fly half and I’m sure his kicking game will be on point.

When was the last time we signed a player of this ilk - I’m thinking it was probably Pat Howard? Toomua was of a level but not to the level of Pollard
I would go as far back as Joel Stransky and Josh Kronfeld as Top class proven world star signings.
Just my opinion though.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

The fact he is the starting 10 in the top dares national team in World Rigby does put this signing in a different bracket than Tomua, who I think is an excellent player but was not being selected internationally at the time of signing. Montoya as an international captain and Jonnie May as the starting 11 for England are the closest recently. We will need Freddie B, Bryce and Dan L to get some game time this season to provide cover before Pollard arrives if he is selected for the SA games over the summer /Autumn.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

Hasn't had a great time of it in Montpellier however I think that may work to our advantage. I read on Twitter that they're branding him a flop. I think he'll be extra-determined to prove he's the best. I suspect that's partly why he signed for us on significantly less money than he'd have been paid elsewhere, which obviously bodes well for us.

Welcome to Leicester Handre!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

chappie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:39 pm

I would go as far back as Joel Stransky and Josh Kronfeld as Top class proven world star signings.
Just my opinion though.
Lotte Tuquiri was a more recent example, superb rugby brain.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Montoya has a claim to the best Hooker currently
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:19 pm

Just my opinion though.
Mauger is up there surely. Was only 27(?) when he joined after winning the world cup.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:40 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:19 pm
Just my opinion though.
Mauger is up there surely. Was only 27(?) when he joined after winning the world cup.
Great shout - I’d forgotten him
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Postiger2 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm Hasn't had a great time of it in Montpellier however I think that may work to our advantage. I read on Twitter that they're branding him a flop. I think he'll be extra-determined to prove he's the best. I suspect that's partly why he signed for us on significantly less money than he'd have been paid elsewhere, which obviously bodes well for us.

Welcome to Leicester Handre!!
Seems to have a touch of Nandolo's move here. He'd gone off the boil and arrived wanting to prove a point.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Lots of interesting talk in the media following Koch with the Premiership wage cap to £5m/year and cutting back to just one marquee player means most will be busy re-shaping their squads and off-loading high-earners over the next couple of seasons.

We know Ford - Pollard will be a like for like swap in the marquee spot. Problem I see is plenty of players stock has risen the last few seasons.

I imagine many will want to stay given our recent success and coaching set up. I reckon we’ll see TY, Taute and K Van Wyk go. But there will probably be surprises with Leatigaga, Socino and Green possibly going purely because we can’t afford them and being replaced in house with Whitcombe, Chessum and Lancaster.