LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ay2oh »

Nowhere near as skilful as Stransky in my opinion.
A2O
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:02 pm I think people on here are massively overrating Kpoku.

He’s behind
Itoje
Isiekwe
Swinson
Hunter hill

And on par with Boon
Agreed. I remember seeing Kpoku at Under 18 level and he was average in my opinion. He improved to make England U20, but never really kicked on.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I think Kpoku is a player with a high potential but for whatever reason has stalled somewhat at Saracens recently. A move could be good for him, he is still young enough to play Espoirs in France I think so even if he struggles to find a regular Top 14 place should play regularly at that level.

Similar to Ibitoye, need to be in the right environment and soon to reach their potential.

I'd back Borthwick if we signed them but won't regard them as a loss if he doesn't or they go elsewhere.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

I think Chessum should be mentioned in the debate about the England second row. The depth isn't really there - Ewels is somehow the bench option now that Lawes is starting at 6. Martin looks promising, but he's not played there for Leicester yet, so putting him there for England seems like a stretch. I've seen very few other options for England. Moon has the size and weight to be a great tighthead lock (taller and heavier than even Launchbury, the heaviest England lock for a while), but I've seen nothing from him in his games for Saints to suggest he should be an England player.
Chessum though, what a player he's turned out to be. He's really surprised me with his adaptability and his skillset at both lock and blindside flanker. He's quick and he hits hard. He's got an engine on him as well, I don't think I've seen him jogging about once in the games he's played.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Chessum hasn't started there in the league yet either
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm Chessum hasn't started there in the league yet either
He started vs Saracens.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LekkerTigers wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 pm Chessum hasn't started there in the league yet either
He started vs Saracens.
did he? I thought he played 6, fair enough
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:20 am
LekkerTigers wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 am
He started vs Saracens.
did he? I thought he played 6, fair enough
Green, Chessum, Martin, Reffell and Liebenberg made up the 4-8 on that day.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm I think Chessum should be mentioned in the debate about the England second row. The depth isn't really there - Ewels is somehow the bench option now that Lawes is starting at 6. Martin looks promising, but he's not played there for Leicester yet, so putting him there for England seems like a stretch. I've seen very few other options for England. Moon has the size and weight to be a great tighthead lock (taller and heavier than even Launchbury, the heaviest England lock for a while), but I've seen nothing from him in his games for Saints to suggest he should be an England player.
Chessum though, what a player he's turned out to be. He's really surprised me with his adaptability and his skillset at both lock and blindside flanker. He's quick and he hits hard. He's got an engine on him as well, I don't think I've seen him jogging about once in the games he's played.
Hmmm think that's a bit tricky tbh... Yes as it stands not too many ahead, but there's still a few.

Wells ahead of Chessum for one atm at just Tigers.

Lauchbury will at some point hopefully return to fitness, at which point he's a shoe in.

Kruis, if he comes back to England, for me goes straight into the team as he's eligible again as it stands.

Itoje is the best lock in the country

There are three other top international standard locks in England, Kruis, Lauchbury & Lawes.

Then there is a step down further to Hill, Wells, Ribbans, Ewels etc. Hill actually impressed me a fair bit during the AIs so I think he's top of this group

Chessum is adding himself to this group but think he needs some more gametime there outside of just the cup
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:51 am
LekkerTigers wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm I think Chessum should be mentioned in the debate about the England second row. The depth isn't really there - Ewels is somehow the bench option now that Lawes is starting at 6. Martin looks promising, but he's not played there for Leicester yet, so putting him there for England seems like a stretch. I've seen very few other options for England. Moon has the size and weight to be a great tighthead lock (taller and heavier than even Launchbury, the heaviest England lock for a while), but I've seen nothing from him in his games for Saints to suggest he should be an England player.
Hmmm think that's a bit tricky tbh... Yes as it stands not too many ahead, but there's still a few.

Wells ahead of Chessum for one atm at just Tigers.

Lauchbury will at some point hopefully return to fitness, at which point he's a shoe in.

Kruis, if he comes back to England, for me goes straight into the team as he's eligible again as it stands.

Itoje is the best lock in the country

There are three other top international standard locks in England, Kruis, Lauchbury & Lawes.

Then there is a step down further to Hill, Wells, Ribbans, Ewels etc. Hill actually impressed me a fair bit during the AIs so I think he's top of this group

Chessum is adding himself to this group but think he needs some more gametime there outside of just the cup
Fully agreed with everything you’ve said. Chessum has time on his side though. He’s incredibly young and will only get better.

Isiekwe is another option for England. Though he does seem to have fallen out of favour with EJ.
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

In my opinion, to be in contention for England you should be starting for your club (in that position). Is this fair or too strict a requirement?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 am In my opinion, to be in contention for England you should be starting for your club (in that position). Is this fair or too strict a requirement?
Not disagreeing, but, I'm sure I heard on commentary during the England game that Jamie Blamire had only started four games for Falcons.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:37 am In my opinion, to be in contention for England you should be starting for your club (in that position). Is this fair or too strict a requirement?
Too strict, I think. Different coaches may see something in a player his own have missed - or they may have a prejudice against him. And it leaves room for the fairy tale - "You shall go the ball (international)"
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:42 am
Not disagreeing, but, I'm sure I heard on commentary during the England game that Jamie Blamire had only started four games for Falcons.
George Martin was something very similar too.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Similar to Smith and Simmonds being picked for the Lions whilst not being regulars for England I suppose.