LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Faulks04 »

Certainly gonna be an interesting period of players coming in and out especially with the reduced cap .Personally feel Moroni will be off. Would like to keep him and Matt Scott for sure just feel Scott will be the one we keep if it’s a choice between the 2 . Rumoured steff hughes and gopperth plus Kelly and Porter as alternative centre options . It’s certainly tough on players on the fringes and squad players with the reduced cap . Steve certainly more often than not picks Kelly when available, seems to be getting better all the time and is still a young man . Personally would like to see someone like a Marcos kremer come in who’s able to cover multiple forward positions , a loose head and a then a depending on who’s leaving fill those gaps
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

In terms of playing Wasps without Gopperth look massively different to when he’s in the team.

Thought he was key for them controlling the game v us and Toulouse
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 pm In terms of playing Wasps without Gopperth look massively different to when he’s in the team.

Agreed. He is a class player and adds valuable cover at FH or centre. He will be a great mentor alongside Freddie for the likes of Lancaster and will no doubt be a valuable addition to the coaching set up in the future. Good signing imho
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:22 pm In terms of playing Wasps without Gopperth look massively different to when he’s in the team.

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:23 pm

Agreed. He is a class player and adds valuable cover at FH or centre. He will be a great mentor alongside Freddie for the likes of Lancaster and will no doubt be a valuable addition to the coaching set up in the future. Good signing imho
Agree with both of you here. I think this could prove a canny signing. I think players like Gopperth and Wigglesworth who bridge that gap between player and coach staff are key to developing young players. Good signing imho.
Red Boots

Post by Red Boots »

Is the state pension included in the salary cap?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Great signing I think, even if for a season. With Ford and Genge going, it frees up enough cap surely to keep all those mentioned and bring JG in. Gopperth must be thinking he can get another couple of years playing at this level, given Aled’s magic.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Gopperth is a brilliant signing.

Pollard is a great 10 but realistically wont play as many games as Ford who's availability has been fantastic.

As a 12 Gopperth makes 10s whose game management isn't their best skill look better than they are - see Umaga. As a partner to Burns or Hegarty that could be vital. As a 10 he can still control a game fantastically himself. Plus he's an excellent goal kicker. He fits into the squad near perfectly to my eye.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

We’re probably looking at next Autumn and thinking we could be without Pollard, Kelly, Moroni and Scott plus Steward and possibly Kini. Which would leave us very thin on the ground if we then throw in injuries and suspensions we could be in big trouble. Gopperth looks a sensible addition to me based on that.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

dunc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 am We’re probably looking at next Autumn and thinking we could be without Pollard, Kelly, Moroni and Scott plus Steward and possibly Kini. Which would leave us very thin on the ground if we then throw in injuries and suspensions we could be in big trouble. Gopperth looks a sensible addition to me based on that.
Especially if Taute retires as expected.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

ABClub wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:05 pm I'm a big Browning fan but it should be noted he didn't excel with Nottingham earlier this season.

I think the Sevens move could be brilliant for him. He's fast enough to play in the backs in Sevens but is definitely big enough to slot into the forwards there as well. I think that could suit his talents perfectly and help him develop further. If he does well enough I could see Browning sticking with Sevens for a couple of years for a tilt at the 2024 Olympics.

There have been rumours from Nottingham fans for a while that David Williams will rejoin Tigers next season. I'd be very happy with that. He'd keep the squad depth without costing a huge amount, knows the club and performed well when here on loan previously.

Williams remains prolific at Championship level as well. 8 tries in 11 apps this season. Compared to 2 tries from 9 apps for Browning for instance. Strike rate isn't a perfect measure but tends to be a good indication with Championship wingers I think. It certainly worked with Jonah Holmes.
I’d be happy if he returned. I don’t think we saw the best of him before. His reputation was built on doing spectacular things with ball in hand and scoring long range tries but he played for us at a time when the game plan was largely to endlessly kick the ball.
8 in 11 is a good return for a wing in a struggling team, where you’d assume ball for the outside backs is limited. Also read somewhere recently that he’s become Notts record try scorer in the Championship.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Faulks04 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:20 pm Certainly gonna be an interesting period of players coming in and out especially with the reduced cap .Personally feel Moroni will be off. Would like to keep him and Matt Scott for sure just feel Scott will be the one we keep if it’s a choice between the 2 . Rumoured steff hughes and gopperth plus Kelly and Porter as alternative centre options . It’s certainly tough on players on the fringes and squad players with the reduced cap . Steve certainly more often than not picks Kelly when available, seems to be getting better all the time and is still a young man . Personally would like to see someone like a Marcos kremer come in who’s able to cover multiple forward positions , a loose head and a then a depending on who’s leaving fill those gaps
Keeping Kelly and Moroni should be the priority amongst the centres. Not sure about Gopperth, simply because we’ve already plenty of depth at 10/12. We have to be careful where the money is spent now.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

dunc wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:15 am We’re probably looking at next Autumn and thinking we could be without Pollard, Kelly, Moroni and Scott plus Steward and possibly Kini. Which would leave us very thin on the ground if we then throw in injuries and suspensions we could be in big trouble. Gopperth looks a sensible addition to me based on that.
Only Pollard and Moroni are likely to go from the midfield. Farrell will be back to nail down the England 12 shirt!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Extremely interesting read

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... er-tigers/

Really recommend it
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

westwinds31 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:36 pm Great signing I think, even if for a season. With Ford and Genge going, it frees up enough cap surely to keep all those mentioned and bring JG in. Gopperth must be thinking he can get another couple of years playing at this level, given Aled’s magic.
At least one and possibly both of Genge and Ford are likely to be our Marquee Players so them leaving has absolutely zero effect on the cap other than, if it's both, we get to redeploy the now solitary Marquee spot probably to Pollard.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:43 am Extremely interesting read

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... er-tigers/

Really recommend it
Yes, was going to link it, too! Beginning to think Charlie Morgan really likes Tigers :smt023