LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:21 pm Can we safely assume that if Mr Jaco Taute doesn’t show up in the squad this weekend that it may be curtains for him? Not a single mention of him since the end of last season!

Sale in the PRC, I’d like to see JVP, Lancaster, Socino 9,10,12 with Kini Saumaki and Browning covering the back 3. Guy at 13 and we’re good to go.

Forwards, would like to see Vanes and Ilione get a shot.
It's tough with knee issues to work out the severity and recovery, but if not involved again it isn't a great sign for him, especially with our depth at centre growing since he last played.

At the point when he got injured he was probably our 3rd choice centre behind Scott & Moroni, now you'd have to put Kelly, Porter & Socino ahead of him atm.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

In tomorrows Telegraph... Sale talking to Fordy :smt013
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

The Telegraph now reporting that Sale are in advanced talks with Ford and confident of taking him north

Would he be able to take a marquee slot at Sale? Anyone?
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 pm The Telegraph now reporting that Sale are in advanced talks with Ford and confident of taking him north

Guess he would be their direct replacement for AJ Macginty going to Bristol. Really really hope this isn't true.. we need to do everything we can to keep him!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Forget that Ford is still only 28. He’s got years and years left at the top.

Welcome to the club Richard Wilks, now get Ford extended on a long term contract and nip all this in the bud!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigers fine form might be coming at the right moment in terms of convincing George to stay. Just hope he makes the right decision.. a move to France I could understand, a move to Sale makes no sense to me
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

He’s still in contract so not sure that makes much difference in this day and age
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TigerMac3 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:25 pm The Telegraph now reporting that Sale are in advanced talks with Ford and confident of taking him north

Not for his first two years there.

I could see Sale having cap space though to be fair. Only one marquee from next season which will presumably be Faf.

Out of contract or gone:

McGinty - confirmed to Bath
Oosthuizen - If he doesn't go will get a reduced contract based on performance
Akker van der Merwe - I could see moving to France with Taylor, Ashman and Langdon able to cover
Solomona - See Oosthuizen, Solomona last re-signed in 2018 when his stock much was higher
JP du Preez - Rumoured to Sale

Lood, Manu and Tom Curry will be on big deals as they are class internationals.

The du Preez twins and Cobus Wiese will be well paid but nothing ridiculous. I'd be surprised if Liebenberg, van Staden and Jasper aren't earning similar or more for instance.

It's quite a small squad with a lot of academy grads that are good players but wont be on massive money. Whilst there are a handful of high earners in there overall it doesn't strike me as the most expensive squad once you factor in the higher earners above that are out of contract.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:48 pm He’s still in contract so not sure that makes much difference in this day and age
Rumours are that Ford's re-signed contract with a pay cut during the covid renegotiation include certain release clauses. I think it's safe to presume one of those will be falling out the England squad.

When he signed that deal as a nailed on England starter he could realistically expect another £200k a year in appearance fees then their performance bonuses on top of that (£70k a player if they win all three AIs for instance).
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I really hope we don't allow him to join another English club. Would be hard to take.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:52 pm
anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:48 pm He’s still in contract so not sure that makes much difference in this day and age
Rumours are that Ford's re-signed contract with a pay cut during the covid renegotiation include certain release clauses. I think it's safe to presume one of those will be falling out the England squad.

When he signed that deal as a nailed on England starter he could realistically expect another £200k a year in appearance fees then their performance bonuses on top of that (£70k a player if they win all three AIs for instance).
I appreciate the clauses, but in my mind they only make sense if he wanted to go abroad for a lucrative deal. Can’t see why Sale would be able to pay more than us, nor why a move to Sale would better his chances of getting back in to the England squad.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:06 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:40 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:40 pm Is Illione a 6 or 7?
From what I've seen a very dynamic and explosive 6. Reminded me a little bit of a young Steve Mafi. He played 7 for England under 20s but their game plan didn't really allow for a natural openside. In the short bit of game I saw him in he was an immediate stand out. Jumped at the lineout and his athleticism round the pitch really caught the eye. Was a real shame he went off injured. I'm very interested to see if he gets some game time in the PRC to see how he's developing. Could be an ideal fit for Tigers under Borthwick.
Is he fit though?
Well Borthwick won't tell us we'll find out if he's included. He's had a few months to recover from what was presumed to be a dislocated shoulder so should be unless there was a nasty complication.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'd be surprised if the clauses would allow for him to leave to another English club without compensation. Be a poor deal for us if we'd agreed to it.

Given how Borthwick has been publicly talking him up I suspect there's a Tigers contract in front of him currently.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:09 pm

I appreciate the clauses, but in my mind they only make sense if he wanted to go abroad for a lucrative deal. Can’t see why Sale would be able to pay more than us, nor why a move to Sale would better his chances of getting back in to the England squad.
Depends what Sale find down the back of the couch then. Ford's deal before covid was meant to be around £600k. Presuming a 25% paycut that comes down to £450k. Still huge money but could Sale top it if they have McGinty moving on at fly-half plus other big earners going?

Agree with posttiger it would be a tough pill to swallow.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Presumably he’ll want his £600k back. Some semblance of normality has resumed so I’d hope we can give it to him.