LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ABClub »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 pm Would you leave Tigers the way it’s currently going ? Before you say it, Ford is different. Local lads, playing with mates, why would you go !
Money talks when it's a short career at the end of the day. See Gengey's candid comments about that subject last season for instance.

Losing one of Scott or Moroni from that list would be my only imminent concerns. They are rumoured to have signed for low contracts as they didn't have clubs.

13 is widely regarded as the most important position defensively in the modern game and both are fantastic defensive organisers in that outside centre channel. Both are also rounded players in defence. Scott has the versatility of covering 12 just as well as 13. Moroni has played wing well at international level. That's a package that a lot of clubs might offer very good wages for.

If they are attracting offers elsewhere then hopefully cap can be freed up to keep them as both have been fantastic. I can see Leatigaga (sadly as he's a favourite), Taute and Kobus moving on for instance. With the cap down to £5m and down to one marquee player for next season cap space will be an issue though.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am Opinions appear to be converging - a done deal ?

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... -revealed/

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... by-6284600
I think it will be a good signing to replace GF, but surely not imminently as suggested in some of the articles above?
Start of next season surely? How would he fit in this year and wouldn't we be in breach of the salary cap?
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I think they mean to be announced imminently
bendy

Post by bendy »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:02 am Opinions appear to be converging - a done deal ?

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... -revealed/
Just as a side note - it's brilliant to see the boys from the Rolling Maul pod quoted directly as the source in the South African article quoted above!

Nice work guys - I've been listening to the pod on my walk to work every week. It remains very entertaining and it's great to see some international recognition!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Steve ain’t going to be happy if someone has been a squeelin’.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Pollard is an outstanding player and could even be classed as an upgrade on Ford, to attract a player of his quality is outstanding business by the recruitment team!!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:16 am
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 pm Would you leave Tigers the way it’s currently going ? Before you say it, Ford is different. Local lads, playing with mates, why would you go !
Money talks when it's a short career at the end of the day.
Clearly not for everyone though; if the Pollard rumours are to be believed it sounds like he turned down an extra £400k per year to continue playing at the top level and sign for us over Japan. Money isn't always top of peoples list
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Leavers is always going to be a issue
Kelly, Scott, Moroni great trio of centres but something will give in the end.
Kelly signed a contract last year you would hope that it will end as the cap goes back up.
Same with the other younger players.
Moroni might get offered a big wage in france and could see him going.
Scott I think some people overvaluing him potentially, and then a question might be is say 50K extra worth it over Tigers ATM?
The salary cap does go back up 2024/25 just will be tight till then.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Now reported in The Times about Pollard.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:37 am Now reported in The Times about Pollard.
Hope he plays as well for us as Joel did. :smt038
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:04 am I think they mean to be announced imminently
I'm sure you're right RB as usual, but it was a little confusing when the article stated;

"Pollard who currently plays for Montpellier in France’s Top 14 will become a Tigers player by the end of this week, should reports prove accurate."
Soggypitch
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=Soggypitch post_id=799776 time=1638361304 user_id=6400]
[quote=RagingBull post_id=799765 time=1638349472 user_id=10459]
I think they mean to be announced imminently
[/quote]

I'm sure you're right RB as usual, but it was a little confusing when the article stated;

"Pollard who currently plays for Montpellier in France’s Top 14 will become a Tigers player by the end of this week, should reports prove accurate."
[/quote]

If these rumours are true, I hope and trust it is the announcement and not the move. Otherwise, I think the only way an immediate move could happen is if Ford has been released early. I guess for that to happen, the same for McGinty at Sale etc. Ford certainly sounded as if he was committed to finishing on a high with Tigers when the news first broke.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:47 pm
Soggypitch wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:21 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:04 am I think they mean to be announced imminently

If these rumours are true, I hope and trust it is the announcement and not the move. Otherwise, I think the only way an immediate move could happen is if Ford has been released early. I guess for that to happen, the same for McGinty at Sale etc. Ford certainly sounded as if he was committed to finishing on a high with Tigers when the news first broke.
Was thinking the sme thing. It would not be impossible as SB does seem to prefer getting leavers out the door and work with those he has going forward but there does not appear to be any animosity here, Ford is very much a professional and so I cannot see the fly half merri-go-round happening early.

Now the news is apparrently out, I can see the club rapidly preparing press releases like they had to do with Ford leaving. I can see an announcement before the press conferences for the weekend matches start so As SB does not spend half the time batting off questions about Pollard.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I don't want any mid season upheaval especially with the way we are performing but I would absolutely LOVE IT if we did and Pollard came in and won the league or European Cup and Sale finished outside the top 4!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer