LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Downsouth

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Downsouth »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:06 pm
Downsouth wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:43 pm So Sale would have Ford and Manu outside the cap... that can't leave a lot for the rest. Maybe we can sign Curry and or Lood.....I'm not sure who their Marquee player is tbh. For any decent fly half in the world, replacing Ford would be a fantastic opportunity
George will be inside the cap if he does go because he has played for another prem club this year - has to wait 2 years before he can be moved to a marquee slot
Whoops I meant included within the cap. The only blessing is if true its known early. Most of the options mentioned would be great and probably on less. That said I'd like to think he cares more about the club and being in a great team that just money....
TheChild
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheChild »

If we signed Jackson I would cancel my ST immediately.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Hearing it is indeed true
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:05 am Hearing it is indeed true
So he is TFLTFH then,good riddance! Shame we’ve got to play him until the end of season!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:21 am
So he is TFLTFH then,good riddance! Shame we’ve got to play him until the end of season!
If he's taking a big pay day up at Sale then I don't really blame him. Careers are short and he took a significant pay cut to stay here in the short term. If he plays as well to the end of the season as he has so far then I'll hold nothing against him.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:18 am
If he's taking a big pay day up at Sale then I don't really blame him. Careers are short and he took a significant pay cut to stay here in the short term. If he plays as well to the end of the season as he has so far then I'll hold nothing against him.
Times report £1.6m over 3 years.

Couple of things will be interesting in relation to Steves reaction. He’ll hate how quickly this had all hit the press, and to this point he’s had the attitude of all or nothing. Let’s see.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Also worth considering that we could have paid him any figure we liked without it impacting on the rest of the squad/cap, a decision was made on Tigers side too.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:38 am Also worth considering that we could have paid him any figure we liked without it impacting on the rest of the squad/cap, a decision was made on Tigers side too.
Not all financial decisions are made by the cap. Sale have wealthy backers and we are run as a business. We may have had a limit we could afford whereas Sale may have had less restriction what with the players they are rumoured to have leaving.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

I am not surprised by this rumour/decision at all. I thought GF would leave when I heard his father was leaving. This view was strengthend when he was not made Captain or Vice-Captian; he was an obvious option but I think SB has known this was coming for a while and chose accordingly.....unless GF spat his dummy out when he didn't get one of these roles....who knows? As for playing him, SB has repeatedly said we are 1 year or so into a journey and if he decides not to play Ford I don't think it will be out of spite, but to develop others in time for journey's end.
As Good As It Gets
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Ford is one if the main reasons we are in the position that we are, you can't doubt his effort and professionalism.

Gareth Evans had to retire last week at 30. I'm not going to judge any player that wants to maximise their earnings in a sport where the next match could be the last one and you could suffer life changing injuries.

Good luck to him if this gets confirmed.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:42 am
anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:38 am Also worth considering that we could have paid him any figure we liked without it impacting on the rest of the squad/cap, a decision was made on Tigers side too.
Not all financial decisions are made by the cap. Sale have wealthy backers and we are run as a business. We may have had a limit we could afford whereas Sale may have had less restriction what with the players they are rumoured to have leaving.
That’s kinda the point I was making, probably not very well, the decision/counter offer was that in the best interests of the club.
Previously, it would have been a fair case to say that our position/performance/environment didn’t make sense for many.
Now we can surely say he had an offer, we countered with what we felt was right for us, it wasn’t accepted. Financials have to work for both parties but I suspect family and geography was also a huge part and they were largely out of our control.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

BBC RL just tweeted to say Fords future still uncertain……:censored: hell.

Are they behind the curve or know something the others don’t……
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

With respect Scott1, I think that attitude would be a mistake. I want the players we have to be giving 100% whilst they are here, and our best players to be on the pitch. GF is a professional and all parties I am sure would expect a continuation of commitment up to the end of the contract.
Frankly, the best performance the team can put in, will likely make us all the more attractive for a world class 10. If attracting one were needed.
This of course does not mean we don't seek to involve our other 10s as and when the opportunity arises.

Overall, I wouldn't be too concerned about this. One player does not make a team, and as I have said previously, the depth in our roster is key, particularly with youth like Lancaster. If we don't need a like-for-like replacement then spending less helps us in any contract renegotiations with our other players - a number of whom have become internationals after joining us.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

😘
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:23 am😘
Hahaha 👍 I'm just venting that's all! I wouldn't have minded if he were going to France or Japan but its a kick in the nether regions!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer