Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:22 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:50 pm It’s the Van Staden and Henderson injuries that I ponder on the most. Or is Henderson even injured !?
I'm pretty sure Henderson was on crutches a while ago.(though I may now be getting him mixed up with Lewis Chessum, but thought both had been spotted on them at times)

The Henderson one though is Cam's cryptic Instagram post (him wearing a tigers shirt with an hourglass emojii) a few weeks past seemingly suggesting he was approaching a return, that's him choosing to say something about his own medical status, though we don't know of any setbacks or if that was him returning to initial training. If he had been fit he would have played rather than Kini as a 2nd row substitution that's for sure...
I heard a rumour Henderson blew out his knee early in the season. I don't think I've seen him in any of the warm up pictures which would suggest he's been doing his rehab away from the squad.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

So my ever changing thoughts on the team
Front row
Loosehead: Whitcombe, Leatigaga, Van Wyk, Richardson (Seb Smith)
Hooker: Montoya, Clare, Dolly, Cowan-Dickie, (Vanes)
Tighthead: Cole, Heyes, Hurd, (Rowntree, Hoyt)
Question marks for me
Whitcombe as next seasons Loosehead starter if he can handle Balmain, Hoskins/Van der Merve and Koch I would be fine with him as starter gut says potentially a season too early to have all that on him.
Vanes or Cowan-Dickie
Tight head 3rd choice Borthwick doesn't seem confident on Hurd.

Locks: Wells, Chessum, Green, Snyman, Henderson (Manz, L.Chessum)
Back Row
Blindisde: Liebenberg, Martin,(Ilione)
Openside: Van Staden, Reffell,
Number 8: Wiese, Agbonbong

Hard without knowing what's the case with MVS is. If come end of march he hasn't played massive questions marks.
Certainly feel we need at least 1 more ball carrier if MVS is out then certainly 2.

Backs
Scrum Half: Youngs, JVP, Wigglesworth, (Edwards, Law)
Fly Half: Pollard, Burns, Lancaster,
Don't really expect many changes

Centres
Inside: Kelly, Gopperth, Socino
Outside: Scott, Moroni, Porter, Taute
Question marks over Moroni, Taute and Socino. (Cusick)
Porter looks a more natural 13 than he does Winger but missed an easy pass to Kelly for a try ran it more like a winger chasing to the corner than really a 13 straighten the line and passing but that will come 1 of the things I think Gopperth will help develop IMO.
If Moroni goes I'm potentially wouldn't be rushing to replace him for a like to like 13 as I was originally thinking. I think Scott is very good at 13 and I think Porter can get into a similar mould as Scott in terms of style.

Back 3
Wing: Potter, Nadolo, Saumaki, Murimurivalu, Ashton, Van Wyk (Browning)
Full Back: Steward, Hegarty
Really hard to judge question marks over Saumaki and Murimurivalu. It would be expected that Van Wyk is off
I certainly would like some speed in here though.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

The Radwan rumours appear to have gone quiet
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean all Tigers rumours go quiet it's just the way it is now.
I bet the Gopperth rumour would've gone quiet if Blackett hadn't spoiled it.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:48 am So my ever changing thoughts on the team
Front row
Question marks for me
Whitcombe as next seasons Loosehead starter if he can handle Balmain, Hoskins/Van der Merve and Koch I would be fine with him as starter gut says potentially a season too early to have all that on him.
Vanes or Cowan-Dickie

Back Row

Hard without knowing what's the case with MVS is. If come end of march he hasn't played massive questions marks.
Certainly feel we need at least 1 more ball carrier if MVS is out then certainly 2.

Backs

Centres
Porter looks a more natural 13 than he does Winger but missed an easy pass to Kelly for a try ran it more like a winger chasing to the corner than really a 13 straighten the line and passing but that will come 1 of the things I think Gopperth will help develop IMO.
If Moroni goes I'm potentially wouldn't be rushing to replace him for a like to like 13 as I was originally thinking. I think Scott is very good at 13 and I think Porter can get into a similar mould as Scott in terms of style.

Back 3
Really hard to judge question marks over Saumaki and Murimurivalu. It would be expected that Van Wyk is off
Really good view of the whole situation, especially with Whitcombe and the prop situation, personally that's why I think a De Bruin style signing who can share starting Loosehead Prop and also be a very good option Tighthead would be worth spending money on, are there any other top props covering both sides out their, not my field of expertise as a fullback
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:26 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:48 am So my ever changing thoughts on the team
Front row
Question marks for me
Vanes or Cowan-Dickie

Back Row

Backs

Centres

Back 3
Really good view of the whole situation, especially with Whitcombe and the prop situation, personally that's why I think a De Bruin style signing who can share starting Loosehead Prop and also be a very good option Tighthead would be worth spending money on, are there any other top props covering both sides out their, not my field of expertise as a fullback
The only one I would really question with you is Agbonbong, from the little I have seen of him I would doubt his size and weight for a No 8. From his previews he played in a few positions including the backs so must be fairly lightweight, I saw him at Wasps, he looked fairly skinny to me.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:10 pm
Front row
Question marks for me
Vanes or Cowan-Dickie

Back Row

Backs

Centres

Back 3
The only one I would really question with you is Agbonbong, from the little I have seen of him I would doubt his size and weight for a No 8. From his previews he played in a few positions including the backs so must be fairly lightweight, I saw him at Wasps, he looked fairly skinny to me.
I think he played sevens and was used as a power centre option though I may be wrong. Until he reached Loughborough University he hadn't had any taste of a high level environment having not been in an academy previously. With a high level S&C set up at Tigers and Loughborough looking after him I'm sure he'll fill out his frame in the right way. At 20 he's prime for further physical development, if you look at Chessum last season and compare him to this season there's a pretty significant difference in size and power, we could see the same with Agbonbong.

If he's been playing centre a bit he should have some pace which will suit a Weise understudy.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 pm
LE18 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:10 pm

I think he played sevens and was used as a power centre option though I may be wrong. Until he reached Loughborough University he hadn't had any taste of a high level environment having not been in an academy previously. With a high level S&C set up at Tigers and Loughborough looking after him I'm sure he'll fill out his frame in the right way. At 20 he's prime for further physical development, if you look at Chessum last season and compare him to this season there's a pretty significant difference in size and power, we could see the same with Agbonbong.

If he's been playing centre a bit he should have some pace which will suit a Weise understudy.
Sam Simmonds isn't a giant and while people question his ability as a international, on the club stage he is phenomenal...

For that type of player to suceed you need big physical 6's and 7's

Chessum, Martin, Liebenberg & Van Staden provide that. I'm not saying he'll become Simmonds but lets not rule him out.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Stats put him at 6’3 and 15st 10 so slightly bigger than Reffell
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:56 am The Radwan rumours appear to have gone quiet
Radwan hasn’t made the starting 15 for Newcastle today, although he is on the bench. Mind you, looking at the weather there right now, it is not really the sort of game in which a fleet-of-foot winger thrives!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:45 pm Stats put him at 6’3 and 15st 10 so slightly bigger than Reffell
One inch taller and only a few pounds lighter than Sam Simmonds as well.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Good work RB
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Same height as Wiese about 2 stones lighter but hasn’t been in a pro rugby environment before so I reckon conditioning should help.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also on my Moroni point, if he's off too would people agree that a direct replacement wouldn't be the best place to spend his cap?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:22 pm Also on my Moroni point, if he's off too would people agree that a direct replacement wouldn't be the best place to spend his cap?
I keep flopping back and forth on this. On the one hand Scott and Porter are strong 13s, Gopperth a good signing at 12. On the other I do think our tendency to leave points on the pitch and not finish chances recently is linked to Moroni being absent. He's so good at doing the basics in attack and defence.

If he we spent his cap elsewhere I'd ideally want it to be on a winger with electric finishing to improve how clinical we are after creating chances.

First choice would be retaining Moroni though. I think he's an absolutely fantastic player.