LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by TigerMac3 »

Does beg the question, as the likes of Kelly, Steward etc come to re-neg time, what gives? Feels like we must be close to capacity cap wise. Moroni? Nadolo? You'd think that we may lose one of these guys to make room for improved contract negotiations.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

TigerMac3 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:24 pm Does beg the question, as the likes of Kelly, Steward etc come to re-neg time, what gives? Feels like we must be close to capacity cap wise. Moroni? Nadolo? You'd think that we may lose one of these guys to make room for improved contract negotiations.
Nadolo will probably only have another season or 2 Taute will come off the wage bill soon as I cannot see us giving him a new playing contract, Tom Youngs must be thinking of retirement also, Wigglesworth may not play on given his age, there is a decent chunk of cap freed up there
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Saffas Abroad Rugby tweeting: "Tigers fans, you ok 😉⌚️"
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Van Wyk is another who could move on to free up funds.

Lavanini must have freed up quite a bit and he wasn't replaced with a like for like in terms of cap.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

I do share others worries that when a lot of the squad come up for renewal they will be warranting big increases. There's a bit of a perfect storm of good value players performing very well currently. Not all will come out of contract this year but the below list will all be excellent value currently I'd guess.

Kelly - Signed from Loughborough to the dev squad presumably for peanuts but has been fantastic as a starter
Moroni - Signed whilst unattached due to Jags issues so needed a contract urgently
Scott - Signed whilst unattached due to deal at Edinburgh falling through so needed a contract urgently
Steward, Martin, Chessum and JvP - All on their second pro deals I think
Dolly - Signed from the Championship, now capped
Potter - Signed with only 3 apps in the NRC
Porter - Signed with only 4 apps in the NRC

All those players will surely be on other clubs radars now due to their performances here.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:19 pm I do share others worries that when a lot of the squad come up for renewal they will be warranting big increases. There's a bit of a perfect storm of good value players performing very well currently. Not all will come out of contract this year but the below list will all be excellent value currently I'd guess.

Kelly - Signed from Loughborough to the dev squad presumably for peanuts but has been fantastic as a starter
Moroni - Signed whilst unattached due to Jags issues so needed a contract urgently
Scott - Signed whilst unattached due to deal at Edinburgh falling through so needed a contract urgently

All those players will surely be on other clubs radars now due to their performances here.
Kelly was given an extension back in March, after starting a few games so he won't be on peanuts, but was prior to his England call
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dan Kelly signed a new deal as recently as March. Hopefully we put a few years down for him to sign up to. Buys us some time before renewal at least.

Some of the quality young guys will be looking at a real step up in their next contract, we may have to sacrifice some of the older guys in order to pay for them.

I suspect there's a number of clubs looking at players like Steward, Chessum, Martin etc for when they come out of contract. Hopefully we'll be able to offer them more than money to stay under Borthwick. Success and regular top tier European Rugby can be a draw as well.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Mercury reporting that Pollard deal is done and to be announced in the coming weeks?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... by-6284600
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:28 pm Leicester Mercury reporting that Pollard deal is done and to be announced in the coming weeks?

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... by-6284600
He would be a fantastic replacement for George and if the reports are true he’d be on less than we would have been paying to keep George by about £150k per year or so. Fingers crossed that there is truth to this report as would be a great moral boost before the big match against Quins and a fantastic ready made replacement. Liked the bit about he has potentially chosen ambition over money.. guess we will see in a day or so..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ABClub wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:19 pm I do share others worries that when a lot of the squad come up for renewal they will be warranting big increases. There's a bit of a perfect storm of good value players performing very well currently. Not all will come out of contract this year but the below list will all be excellent value currently I'd guess.

Would you leave Tigers the way it’s currently going ? Before you say it, Ford is different. Local lads, playing with mates, why would you go !
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Do we know anything concrete about overseas player regulations once the current ones end? I've just listed out the current non - EPQ players and there's a decent chunk of players there.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Would you leave Tigers the way it’s currently going ? Before you say it, Ford is different. Local lads, playing with mates, why would you go !
Personally I can’t see any of that list leaving. If, and it’s a big if, Pollard signs for circa £600k that would free up at least £100k-£150k of wages and with a few other names likely leaving we should have some space within the cap. Can’t see many more players coming in as the squad is pretty balanced and settling nicely. Maybe one or two in and half a dozen out
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Whoever comes and go's its Imperative that we keep the likes of Chessum,Martin, Steward etc!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

My preference would very much have been to secure George Ford for a few more years but as that's no longer an option, a younger, world cup-winning fly half seems like a decent replacement to me.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:03 pm
westwinds31 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 pm

Personally I can’t see any of that list leaving. If, and it’s a big if, Pollard signs for circa £600k that would free up at least £100k-£150k of wages and with a few other names likely leaving we should have some space within the cap. Can’t see many more players coming in as the squad is pretty balanced and settling nicely. Maybe one or two in and half a dozen out
In terms of cap space signing a new marquee will mean we have £300k+ less to play with compared to this season as whomever is currently second marquee (likely Genge, possibly Montoya) will need to fit into the cap. Pollard will be our only marquee player next season if he does join.